3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Why not COD?  (Read 651 times)

Offline xia_emperor

• Trad Bowhunter
Why not COD?
« on: April 25, 2007, 02:39:00 PM »
The US postal service Does COD, but I don't see anyone using it. Also I tried to get a bow that way from a seller on Tradgang and he did not want to do it. that seemed strange to me, so I did not get the Bow.

Here is what the USPS has about CODs.
Any mailer may use collect on delivery (COD) service to mail an article for which the mailer has not been paid and have its price and the cost of the postage collected from the recipient. If the recipient pays the amount due by check payable to the mailer, the USPS forwards the check to the mailer. If the recipient pays the amount due in cash, the USPS collects the money order fee(s) from the recipient and sends a postal money order(s) to the mailer. The amount collected from the recipient may not exceed $1,000. COD service provides the mailer with a mailing receipt, and a delivery record is maintained by the USPS.

http://pe.usps.gov/archive/html/dmmarchive0810/S921.htm
“instinctive archery” is more like playing the violin. Without practice you may remember the mechanics, but you will not be a virtuoso.

62" titan riser and samick master limbs 50@28

Offline insttech1

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Why not COD?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2007, 02:58:00 PM »
I won't do COD...

Why?  People not home for delivery...USPS delay in sending payment back...tradition of "buyer pays first", unless I know them or of their reputation...or the item isn't truly "that" expensive if it disappears in the mail...

My bank also holds funds...even from USPS checks, for up to ten days!, if it's not stamped "payroll" on it...

Who is responsible if payment doesn't show up?  The buyer?  USPS?  How long does it take for USPS to make good on lost funds?  Months?  Ever?  Is there an insurance policy like the one when you actually ship the goods?

NONE of the shipping companies have a fast remedy system for claims of loss, and MOST will deny claims of damage, even if proof of proper packaging is supplied, or they did it!

Nope...I just don't like COD...you can sign up for Paypal in 5 minutes...and it's not much different than becoming a member here.

As for the paypal fees, that is dependant on your type of account, or you can add the extra 3% or just not worry about it for the convenience of transferring money from anywhere on the planet!

Not everyone is comfortable with Paypal, so if someone wants me to send a money order, that's fine.  I don't send personal checks at all that I can remember.  I'd rather send a MO instead of a check, which I can buy at the post office anyway when I mail it.

So if you won't make a purchase just because someone won't send it COD...well...we'll just leave that one alone...

Just my two cents....
Marc
"When you catch Hell--DROP IT!!  When you're going thru Hell--DON'T STOP!!"

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2007, 02:58:00 PM »
Good question - guess I didn't know they did that.  Do you have the option of requiring only payment in cash so that the PO forwards a MO?  If they accept payment by personal check it doesn't give the seller protection for insufficient funds, and if I was that worried about the transaction to require COD I would worry about a personal check as well.  
What is the cost of COD service?
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Wapitidung

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2007, 03:32:00 PM »
Bad Checks.  You have my bow, I have no money.
Apprentice - GoodWill Industries ProStaff

Offline Kingstaken

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2007, 03:48:00 PM »
COD went out the window along with American values. Ever see Terry's posts here about guys for non payment or non follow thru of deals?
Yes even here you have a few. Outside here you have many bad people.
"JUST NOCK, DRAW AND BE RELEASED"

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2007, 03:51:00 PM »
I asked the  UPS  Folks about the very same thing, and the Manager here told me that They were having too many Drivers either Ripped off, or even had a Couple of the Drivers  'Jacked and   SHOT  :scared:   , because of the COD Money that they  USED  to Carry.  :scared:  
 Its just not worth the Risk to the Driver to go COD, I can Understand that. I think a Money Order is Acceptable, but  NO MORE CASH. Areas and Rules may vary, but I bet it doesnt vary too much.
"Carpe Cedar" Seize the Arrow!
"Life doesn't get Simpler; it gets Shorter and Turns in Smaller Circles." Dean Torges
"Faith is to Prayer what the Feather is to the Arrow" Thomas Morrow
"Ah Think They Should Outlaw Them Thar Crossbows" A Hunting Pal

Offline xia_emperor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2007, 03:54:00 PM »
I have done COD with paintball gear that I have sold. I had no problems and had my money very fast. also USPS has tracking, if it was lost, USPS would cover it, if you have shipping insurance. you can also tell them to only accept cash/money order for the item.

If people did COD then it would get rid of those people that are selling bows to people, but never sending the bow once the get the cash.

it only make since to keep both people protected. all the reason given sound like old fashion way of thinking to me.
“instinctive archery” is more like playing the violin. Without practice you may remember the mechanics, but you will not be a virtuoso.

Offline fflintlock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2007, 03:55:00 PM »
Heck, in most cases, I would'nt mind someone holding the merchindise till the check cleared. Money orders are a pain. I can write a check and mail it without even leaving the house. I have paypal, but I do not like using it, although it is the most secure payment method over the internet. Money orders make folks happy, so I guess I'll keep sending them out.
 Most of the time, I really don't mind the wait though.
 If I'm sending something out to someone on this site, I'll go ahead and send it out. I can see who does what around here.  ;)
COD, they still have that ?
Jerald

Offline xia_emperor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2007, 03:57:00 PM »
yes they still do.

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2007, 04:07:00 PM »
It Takes All Kinds to Make the World Go 'Round. Some Good, Some Bad, Many I am sure have been Burnt before, and it wont happen again, ya know?
"Carpe Cedar" Seize the Arrow!
"Life doesn't get Simpler; it gets Shorter and Turns in Smaller Circles." Dean Torges
"Faith is to Prayer what the Feather is to the Arrow" Thomas Morrow
"Ah Think They Should Outlaw Them Thar Crossbows" A Hunting Pal

Offline Big Dave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2007, 04:26:00 PM »
I use COD in my bussiness when I order and have had no problem. But of coarse it cost extra. If the only way a business operates is a ck before shipping and no credit cards I usually look elsewhere.But from Trad Gang to Trad Gang I don't worry to much. Abunch of good people.
Live today like you'll meet God tommorow (you might)

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2007, 04:35:00 PM »
Guys, PLEASE - stay focused on trad bowhunting.

Thank You!
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©