3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bear Hunters Needed....  (Read 465 times)

Offline Deadbolt

• Trad Bowhunter
Bear Hunters Needed....
« on: March 18, 2010, 11:14:00 PM »
So I've never hunted bears and our lovely state has finally opened the bear season here.

First off any advice would be great!  Never hunted bears and I only know what I see from TV.  

So here is my situation I have only a 6 day season to close the deal...

I plan on hunting roughly 3 hours away from home so constant attention to the site isn't possible. I will be hunting from the ground with a 2nd hunter side by side.

I was thinking of setting up a bait site in a HEAVILY populated bear area. Now for blind setup my two thoughts were...

1) Build a natural ground blind enclosure with logs and fencing to inter weave brush with shooting holes.

2) Build a basic frame out of natural brush and pack in my Yukon Enforcer blind to pop up behind the brush.

Which would be a better option? I don't know how scared bears are of new things in the environment.

I am guessing it wouldn't be wise to leave my popup blind out to long prior to the hunt or when I'm not hunting so they don't destroy it.

Again any advice on what I should do would be great!

Online pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bear Hunters Needed....
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2010, 11:19:00 PM »
Hey Tom. That area that you and I went winter bowhunting, across from the cornfields, was loaded with bear when I went there with Vaughn.  Good luck, buddy.  I'm gonna have to sit this one out.

Offline Apex Predator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2010, 11:20:00 PM »
Bears are pretty smart!  Most good ones will come in and constantly look over at you.  They really know you are there, but just want the meal!  That's what makes it so exciting!  Hopefully they want the bait more that fresh flesh!
I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat vegetables!

Offline Manitoba Stickflinger

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2010, 11:31:00 PM »
Great news!!!

1. I always like to use lots of bait. Some guys try to increase competition by limiting bait but I've always had more luck outbaiting other hunters. Bears like a guaranteed meal! Appeal to their tastes...give them a variety.

2. Also...start baiting as early as you can before you hunt. I've found bears like to be comfortable there with no human presence before you hunt. (if that's an option)

3. As far as blinds....I'd go natural. The Yukon will work well if you leave it there but then it will be eaten at night or when you're not there so just go natural.

4. Hit them right where you'd shoot a deer....don't go for "the middle of the middle" stuff. Behind the shoulder, center or just below.

5. Have fun!!

Offline Recurve50 LBS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2010, 11:45:00 PM »
Hey Tom,

Last time there was a bear hunt in NJ, hunting within 100 yards of a bait pile was illegal. The ONLY weapons allowed were Slug shot guns and .50 cal muzzle loaders or larger. I'd forget hunting from the ground in that area. Pack in a climber and sit up in a tree.

I know I'd also like to give a try hunting bears with my bow. But since we live in a communist state that in the past didn't allow bow hunters the opportunity to thin the bear population down just because people don't think a bow will quickly and cleanly kill a bear.

Make sure you do check the bear hunting regulations before you go out and arrow one of those bears dude. One must cover their ass my friend.
Larry W.

Member TANJ

NRA Life Member

56" 45#@28" Thunder Stick Mag
62" 45#@28" Turkey Creek Longbow
1966 42#@28" Bear Grizley

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2010, 12:01:00 AM »
There are some great bear hunting books.  Do your research and buy at least two good ones.  Read them, memorize them and then impliment what you learn and you will have a chance to kill your bear.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline Deadbolt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2010, 12:34:00 AM »
Thanks for the info ya'll!

Larry bows are legal this year I still gotta look into the bait.

Offline twitchstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2010, 12:54:00 AM »
How soon can you bait before the hunt? If you can train them before the hunt it is helpful. I hunted bear for the frist time last year so it was alot of learning for me. I was baiting 3 1/2 hr drive away with a 20 min 4 wheeler ride in then hike another mile or so in and worked 60 hr weeks with split days off. I got the bears in with a stink bait,carp hung high in a tree in a game bag,leave them in a bucket in the sun for a few days . I would take a truck load of bread,donuts,fermented oats,restaurant scaps twice a week(if I could make it there twice) and leave it there with fryer grease all around the site(scent trail). I put down bear crack(cool aid, marsh mellows melted) and did a honey burn every time I baited(dinner bell). The bear crack keeps them there when I couldn't bait twice a week,I know a guide that gets alot of candy(gummie bears) and let it melt on a rock to do the same. I hope that your state will let you bait before the hunt so you can just hunt the 6 days of the hunt,not just bait. Bear are smart so 6 days isn't alot of time. My hunt was alot of work with my work hrs and was 90% solo but sure was fun,I only got a few days in my treestand most of my time was spent finding bait and baiting. Good luck and I am so glad your state is coming around.

Offline twitchstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2010, 01:03:00 AM »
Sorry I though I read you could bait,sure hope you can.

Offline crotch horn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2010, 01:04:00 AM »
Good luck bud. My first trad kill was a bear in 2007. Started shooting in Jan of 07 & got the bear in Sept. If baiting is legal there is a company called "Bear Scents" that sells some great products. My bear only went 25 yards after the shot. Death moan was cool but boy was I shaking from the excitement. I had a pass though heart shot at 17 yards with a 54lb Mikuta recurve which I only shoot at 48lbs. Wendell bh cx heritage 150 total weight 554 grain arrow. Have fun!!!!

Offline pow-bow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2010, 01:40:00 AM »
If it is possible for you to use a tree stand you'll have a much better chance.  The nose on those bears is incredible and getting up off the ground will help a bunch.  
Scent control can't be overstated.  Some guys swear by the soaps and sprays to help get rid of your smell.
Twitchstick has great advice an baiting, if you can get a hold of some beaver carcasses from a trapper and let them ripen up they make as good a stink bait as anything.  
If you can't bait and have to stalk them work the wind or forget it.  Get a good windicator (spray powder or something) and stay downwind.  We hunt a lot of bears and find being downwind is more important then cover.  
Best of luck.  Let us know how you do.
Nothing ruins a good hunt like pulling the trigger

Offline Gator1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2010, 05:40:00 AM »
Great News Deadbolt....

My advice, is fill "Bentpoles" Pockets with Sandwiches, and bring him with...  :biglaugh:  

I have been on only a couple bearhunts, but I would agree that baiting earlier than later is better, and I'd be a few feet off the ground, unless your companion is carrying a slug gun. I can tell you this it is excitiing..

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2010, 05:52:00 AM »
 But since we live in a communist state  
You should move to NY   :eek:

Tom that is good news is it going to be open to non residents? I would like to be right behind Pete when the action starts   :bigsmyl:
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline Deadbolt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2010, 07:44:00 AM »
Again thanks for all the help guys!!!

Yea the hunt will be in December so hanging rotten fish probably wont be an option.  Maybe earlier in the season just t let them know its there a few months before but come time it will be damn cold and not sure if we can legaly bait or not so that will be touch and go.

I'll have to look into tree stands to see if my cousin is afraid of heights or not LOL.  So I guess its just like hunting deer only they are more aware you are there but still go for the free meal.  

I'll also look into a few books/vidoes and see what else I can find.

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2010, 12:14:00 PM »
Tom...is the season open to Residents only? Is archery equipment allowed?
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2010, 12:23:00 PM »
Originally posted by joe skipp:
I'd like to know about the Jersey bear hunt as well....
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2010, 12:30:00 PM »
When is the season ?  I thought I heard it was to be in December.   Around here, the bears hibernate ?  They don't do that by you ?

If they are still out,  I imagine any high carb high fat food source will outperform most others since they are gearing up for the sleep.

How many years since there was a season on them ?  Heck if it was five years, most of the bears you will see will have never been hunted.
ChuckC

Offline imskippy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2010, 12:42:00 PM »
Time to start doing some research. It has been 5 years since the last hunt. I hope they atleast allow bait this year. For me I will likely choose a slug gun but would love to use the bow. If I read correctly there were approx. 600 of the estimated 2500? bears taken. The estimate now is that the population has tripled since the last hunt. I live in the heart of bear country and can tell you there are some monsters up here. My biggest concern with the last hunt was that you needed to remove the bear whole and bring it to the check station for biologists to examine. How the hell are you going to get a 5 or 6 hundred pound bear out of the woods???? There is one boar in my neighborhood that I witnessed (atleast 500lbs) pick up my full "bear proof" garbage can with his front arms and toss it acrossed the yard then proceed to sit on it and pop the lid off before laying down and gorgeing on chicken scraps for atleast an hour.

Good luck to all and lets keep this thread going as we learn more about the season.

p.s. as in seasons past it can always be stopped by lawsuits and such at the last minute. lets cross our fingers and hope that doesn't happen again. Skippy
Zona Custom T/D #1
Zona Custom R/D L/B #1

Offline southpawshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2010, 12:45:00 PM »
As I understand nothing is set in stone yet.  There are still reviews, public meetings, etc. before this is said and done.  I think the season is set to coincide with the 6 day firearms season.

The bears are still active in December, heck I've seen them in January and February as well.  I believe the boars tend to roam a bit more than a sow with cubs. A warm day will find some bears moving about.
Scott F >>--->   @

"if the wood don't fly the bunny don't die" - Stone Knife, JLMBH 2008

Proud member of Team Pink

Offline Deadbolt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2010, 12:47:00 PM »
Originally posted by joe skipp:
we are not 100% we are getting it...may 11 we will find out but the odds of it are pretty good.  Archery is welcome and I'm not sure about non residents...i think last time it was residents only but ill look into it for ya bud.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©