3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Pig-Gig Final Overview  (Read 584 times)

Offline Gene Wensel

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Pig-Gig Final Overview
« on: March 19, 2010, 12:20:00 AM »
Well, I thought I better do an overview of our recent Pig-Gig. Barry and I finally got home the other day. I was glad to get home for sure. I started to read the multiple threads already posted but finally gave up in frustration when I soon realized there were so many photos. The pics I saw were excellent but unfortunately we can't get high speed here and I have to rely on dial-up, which loads photos at a snail's pace. Page one (of twenty) from the first week thread took my computer almost an hour to load those few photos. When I did the math, I soon decided I better wait until I go somewhere I can get high speed to enjoy the rest. In summary, the Texas weatherman threw just about everything he had at us. Yes, we had fun, but doing our thing was not easy and stressful. Most Februarys in Texas are fairly mild and dry. Last year we hunted not far from Lambshead when it hadn't rained a drop since October! This trip gave us two snow storms up to 5", heavy rains, swollen rivers, standing water everywhere, two hail storms, heavy thunder/lightning, fog, temperatures that went from 20 degrees to 70 degrees, some of the worst mud imaginable, very deep road ruts, very poor cell phone service where multiple guys had to walk miles to get help getting out stuck vehicles. We even needed a bulldozer to pull us out one time. I feel we need to apologize for some of the curveballs Lambshead threw at us. We paid a lot of money up front for access. We had to get several million dollars in liabilty insurance and then had to ask everyone to sign release forms. They told us we could use two houses and two camp grounds. When we got there, we discovered we couldn't even get to either campground in the mud. The two houses were twelve miles apart. One of them had a resident skunk living indoors that sprayed before he left and voided eight beds. The other house had four beds but no running water. We had to rent a camp house from a neighboring rancher. The place was nothing special but the guy wanted $500 per NIGHT for four weeks (do the math!) until we "struck a deal" with him at $4,000. Then we paid the state owned campground over $1500 for use of their facilties. Thank goodness they were there to help. Wild hogs are always a challenge. They are smart animals to begin with and get smarter when they realize they are being hunted. They moved a lot and were always moving at a trot. Our IR trail cameras showed lots of pigs. Many areas had pigs one day and not the next with hunting pressure. We moved three guys from one big area with little fresh sign. A week later we put three guys back in the same area. They killed ten hogs. Barry and I didn't get to hunt as much as we wanted, which is no big deal considering we are there longer than everyone else. Its often a no-win situation for us. If we kill pigs, some people can't help but think maybe we saved the hotspots for ourselves, when in reality, we just took whatever was left over and often gave up our stands to share with others. Considering the conditions, you guys did pretty darn good on Lambshead. Barry counted over 80 dead hogs I think. The three "top guns" were Volney Nash, Rich Charles and Mike Schwister with six hogs each. Rob Burnham and Kevin Shea both killed two hogs with one arrow, a feat not easy to pull off. By the way, I want to personally thank Kevin Shea and Thomas Burns (Hogdancer) for arriving two days early to help us organize, learn the road system, solve some of the housing/camping issues and help Barry and I put guys in various far off hunting areas. All in all, it was a learning experience for sure. We'll never again hunt any ranch two weeks in a row. I'm also going to strongly suggest 4x4 vehicles from now on in case of rain or mud. Those who fly in need to insist on 4x4 rental trucks at the airport or keep looking. We soon learned that when they say "we'll try but we can't promise a four wheel drive" that actually translates to "you ain't got a prayer for a 4x4." Speaking for Barry too, we want to thank you guys for giving it your best shot(s) and making the most of the nasty weather conditions. We met some new friends and saw lots of old faces. Traditional bowhunters maintain a special bond among the breed that makes a noticeable and much appreciated difference. Hopefully next year we can do it again under better conditions. We are already planning at least one road trip this summer back to Texas to check out three new ranches. I can't predict where we'll be but I promise we'll try to iron out as many wrinkles as possible to minimize stress and maximize the pig body count, both dead and alive. Thank you one and all for hanging in there with us.

Offline Seeza

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Pig-Gig Final Overview
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2010, 07:18:00 AM »
Gene & Barry, you guys went above and beyond to provide a fantastic experience for us.  Thank you so much.  We had a great time and met some great people, slid around in the mud, saw a few hogs, learned some new country and made some great memories.  
Take care,
Tim Greer

Offline Tom Phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
    • BISON GEAR PACKS
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2010, 08:10:00 AM »
Gene & UB,
 Glad you guys made it home safe & sound.I must say I had a great time didn't matter mud,rain,snow I would do again in a flash !! Thanks Alot for all you efforts.I look forward to next Pig-Gig.

P.S. Gene, if you & Barry find out what that large Hog "Zit Sack" was I popped after Friday nights hunt let me know.
BISON GEAR PACKS
https://www.facebook.com/search/top?q=bison%20gear%20packs

TGMM Family of the Bow * PBS * P&Y
 * Massachusetts Bowhunters * NRA
 * Compton Traditional Bowhunters *
 * N.A.H.C. * N.Y.Bowhunters *
  * N.J.Bowhunters *

Offline oldgoat

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2010, 09:50:00 AM »
Gene and Berry glad to meet you both and spend time with,yes I think you both went above and beyound on our hunt at Spikebox, thanks
Bob
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Biggie Hoffman

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2010, 10:04:00 AM »
I didn't go but if I would have, I'd have killed at least 7 pigs..........
PBS Life Member
Member 1K LLC

"If you are twenty and aren't liberal you don't have a heart...if you're forty and not conservative you don't have a brain".....Winston Churchill

Offline Bill Turner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2010, 10:07:00 AM »
I was not one of the hunters but I do live in N. Texas, about 2&1/2 hours from this ranch. I followed the threads with interest. Anyone who participated in the Wensel hunts this year should be commended. These guys hunted in the worst weather you could imagine. It is hard for me to believe that you had the success you did.
As for Gene and Barry, congratulations on a job well done. Your efforts should be applauded.
   :clapper:

Offline Jerry Wald

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2010, 10:51:00 AM »
DOn't know where my reply went from last night but I will try it again.

You have nothing to appologize for. The thread was great....lots of positive things happening.

Wild weather..some hogs - some snakes - lots of food and lots of laughs. That's all you can ask for in a hunt.

You did your best on getting a place for everyone and that's all you can do.

Lots of ppl followed that thread and for meI was jealous I wasn't there too.

just my opinion

JB

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2010, 10:57:00 AM »
This meant a lot more to me than anything...

•  
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline Hawkeye

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2010, 11:01:00 AM »
Biggie,

Based on the description of the hunt's weather and your avatar picture, I figured you WERE there!  7, huh?    :saywhat:
Daryl Harding
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose."  Jim Elliot

Traditional bowhunting is often a game of seconds... and inches!

Offline mlmealey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2010, 11:08:00 AM »
Biggie, i was thinking of taking 8 pigs with four arrows. That's why they call it hunting and not shooting. Gene and Barry are a class act, things happen, looking forward to going next year again.
IBA life member
PBS regular member
Compton TB member

Offline Biggie Hoffman

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2010, 11:36:00 AM »
Daryl, I think Mike's idea is better than mine....

Hey, I want you guys to know how much the conditions bothered G&B. I talked to them several times a week and their only concern was that you guys weren't having a good time. Alot of "outfitters" can roll with the bad weather and lack of game. These boys lose sleep over it. I keep telling them that they can't do anything about the weather, but they want each and every one who goes with themm to have a good hunt.
   ;)      ;)
PBS Life Member
Member 1K LLC

"If you are twenty and aren't liberal you don't have a heart...if you're forty and not conservative you don't have a brain".....Winston Churchill

Offline Gary Logsdon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2010, 11:50:00 AM »
What was just said . . . man, I can't believe that I am agreeing with Biggie on something;^)  Each of us have our own definition of a "good hunt", and fortunately most guys on here have their priorities straight.  I for one like red mud; it really photographs well:^)
Gary Logsdon

Offline SlowBowinMO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2010, 11:57:00 AM »
Gene, there's now high speed internet available via a satellite service that can reach you anywhere.  I forget the name of it but I don't think the price is unreasonable, might be something worth looking into.
"Down-Log Blind at Misty River"

Offline IB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2010, 12:15:00 PM »
Ya gotta wonder how much they pay "Biggie" don't ya

Offline Arraflinger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2010, 12:29:00 PM »
GAAAWWWD Guru,you're GUSHING!!!!
A gun is like a parachute: If you need one and don't have one,you won't be needing one again

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2010, 12:36:00 PM »
Guru,

Which one of you three is on their tippy toes   :D  

Wish I had some more vacation so I could spend another week with my "Godfather" and distant Uncle.

Offline Grant Young

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2010, 01:02:00 PM »
I was wonderin' the same thing, Vance. Hey, Dynamic Duo, I'll say great stuff about you too for the right price, LOL. All jokes aside, these hunts are great from every angle. Gene and Barry do a great job- I'm going back forever. Biggie- this is pretty big country and seven hogs is a bunch to drag, even for a feller with your athletic chasis. Whyn't you come next year?  GY

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2010, 01:24:00 PM »
"gushing"....nope, not this trip anyway     ;)
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline Gary Logsdon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2010, 03:22:00 PM »
That's obviously not a "gush" or even a blush.  It was probably hypothermia setting in.
Gary Logsdon

Offline Bill Kissner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2010, 04:53:00 PM »
Gene and Barry, there was nothing anyone could do about the weather. Sorry you were out so much added expense. The only way the hunt could have been better was if all the hunters could have stayed in the same area. Considering the circumstances, the hunt could have not been any better. Thanks for a good time and put me down for next year.
Time spent alone in the woods puts you closer to God.

"Can't" never accomplished anything.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©