3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Pig-Gig Final Overview  (Read 583 times)

Offline Kudu Kid

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Pig-Gig Final Overview
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2010, 07:00:00 PM »
Thanks for the trip.  I was on week 5, and I thought we had pretty good weather.  Our hail storm only lasted 15 minutes.  

I didn't get a pig, but definitely not a fault of the "twins."  I would go on another pig gig if I have a chance.  

It sure would have been nice to have a larger group staying together, I would have liked meeting more of you fellas, but the Wensel's did a fine job making lemonade out of the lemons dealt them.  

Keith

Offline Bowmag

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2010, 07:16:00 PM »
I did week 5 also. Definitely a challenge but not a disappointment, even considering I didn't get one. I did get a shot but Barry said it wasn't a miss because I shot low which means the arrow didn't actually get to the pig, so no miss.
Heck, just meeting you two guys was worth the price of admission. You are really a class act. I truly appreciate all of your efforts.
I didn't enjoy using it but the ATV saved my butt. I would have had to walk many more miles without it. And I sure wouldn't be carrying bags of corn around.
Thanks again guys and count me in for the next one, wherever it is.
Colburn

Offline Kudu Kid

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2010, 07:49:00 PM »
Hey Colburn, you missing some boots?  Wolverine brand?  

Keith

Offline Biggie Hoffman

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2010, 08:11:00 PM »
Ya gotta wonder how much they pay "Biggie" don't ya

--------------------
vance

Not enough!!

Grant, I figured on eating two and dragging the others. I appreciate the invite but it doesn't make sense for me to drive 1000 miles to hunt pigs...I have em righ here!
PBS Life Member
Member 1K LLC

"If you are twenty and aren't liberal you don't have a heart...if you're forty and not conservative you don't have a brain".....Winston Churchill

Offline michaelschwister

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2010, 08:24:00 PM »
Wendy and I plan on going again next year, and Steve and Dwight,....... the way this is going our group will need our own week!  This was Wendy's first hog hunt (really her second, but she did not see any when we went to Ft Stewart), and now she is completely ruined.  I would have to unload a stock trailer full of hogs in the backyard to get any more action!! Not to mention the rattlesnake, sheds, turtle shells, boar jaw, mistltoe etc.  Great memories indeed!
"The best thing to give to your enemy is forgiveness; to a friend, your heart; to your child, a good example; to a father, deference; to your mother, conduct that will make her proud of you; to yourself, respect" - Benjamin Franklin

Offline IB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2010, 10:20:00 PM »
:clapper:     :clapper:

Offline Bowmag

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2010, 10:54:00 PM »
Keith, I got home with all of my footwear. Thanks for asking.
Hope you had a good trip back.
Colburn

Online Barry Wensel

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2010, 11:17:00 PM »
Thanks for all the nice comments guys. By the way while I think of it, no one found Grant's Puma knife pac but someone found a single, left  Realtree/Redhead insulated glove with leather palms. I can bring it to PBS or mail it to whoever lost it. We also found a pair of sneakers; a jacket and a wooden arrow sticking in a tree where "somebody" said they never shot. UB

Offline Schultzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2010, 11:28:00 PM »
Originally posted by Guru:
This meant a lot more to me than anything...

•  
Awesome photo!!!    :notworthy:

Offline Gene Wensel

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2010, 12:03:00 AM »
Thanks guys. This means a lot to us. We really did lose sleep over much of this trip. Its all downhill next year. I forgot to mention several days of 50 mph winds too :>(
One of the worst aspects was the fact we had groups camped up to 12 miles apart. Not the best deal for comaraderie.
Guru, your wife actually thinks your hot? Isn't that an icicle hanging from your hat?

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: March 20, 2010, 01:03:00 AM »
I went there to hunt and I had a great time doing it.  A more central living area would have been fun, but there were eight of in our cabin and we got around to see some others, so we got in some socializing, too.  Gene and Barry, I thought you handled it very well, so Thanks!  See ya in Nashville!   Rick
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline Marty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: March 20, 2010, 07:57:00 AM »
Guru, you told me our hunt meant more to you than anything. Make up your mind! I need you or Joey right now- I'm in a blind and the turkey's shut up. What to do?

Offline Dirtybird

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: March 20, 2010, 08:16:00 AM »
I'm really mad I missed this Pig-Gig. Hopefully next year.   :bigsmyl:

Offline Dirtybird

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: March 20, 2010, 08:16:00 AM »
I'm really mad I missed this Pig-Gig. Hopefully next year.   :bigsmyl:

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: March 21, 2010, 01:32:00 PM »
Sounds like a great time to me.  Wish I would have been there!

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: March 21, 2010, 01:46:00 PM »
I know a lot of us who were at the hunt really respect you fellas and the efforts you put in.  But to think that you can control the weather and produce sunshine and warm temperatures on demand?  You might be out of your league on that one!  :readit:  

Warm weather would have been nice.
Killing a hog or two would have been nice.
Neither of those things happened, but do I wish I would have stayed home?  
Not for a second!

I went to Texas to spend time with a great bunch of people whom I don't get to see often enough, and this trip exceeded anything I could have hoped for.  

There's a whole bunch of people here on TG that would have traded places with us in a heart beat, bad weather, tough hunting, and all.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Gary Logsdon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: March 21, 2010, 02:12:00 PM »
Joe, I was in the same boat as you were.  No hog for me either and I almost froze my butt off the first couple of nights in the old Alaknak tent, but that's what I got for leaving the wood stove at home and bringing that little Buddy Heater:^( One of my former students comes with me every year (Dan Tabor).  He spent 12 years in the Air Force fighting for us in the Gulf as well as in Iraq and Afghanistan, so he's seen a lot more in the way of rugged terrain and stressful conditions than many, if not most, guys at the Pig Gig can probably imagine.  He's ALWAYS pumped up like a little kid before every Pig Gig, the kind of enthusiam that is contagious and much appreciated by an older geezer like me:^)  I just received an email from Dan which contained his post Pig Gig assessment.  Even though he didn't release an arrow either he's already talking about next year.  He summed up why he goes each year this way (HIS WORDS:^)): "1) camping and BSing with good buddies and 2) cooking up some kick @#$ grub at night. I haven't been let down yet!" He also added: "A few guys get these images in their heads of being able to kill a pig or two a day...just not realistic man.  Like I said, I don't go just for the hunt so I am never let down."  Sounds like fellow who has his head on straight to me IMHO:^)
Gary Logsdon

Offline Greg in Delton MI

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: March 21, 2010, 02:13:00 PM »
Gene, Barry,

Despite the continued frustration of 4 trips to Texas with bingo hogs, I had a great time. Having guided hunters in the past I understand the sleepless nights and angst of trying to get everyone in the action. That being said I'm coming back next year. Hell Shrimp night made it all worth it alone!

I want to thank T-Burn and Kevin Shea for the pulling us out. It was getting pretty chilly out there in the dark.

I will never again be caught without my 20ft chain and 30ft tug strap in my truck or my buddy's if mine is staying home.

The company was the best and despite the hicup with the lodging my rack was comfy and I only saw one mouse and he was in Kendalls hat on the porch.. Pretty funny when a guy puts on a hat with a live mouse in it!! didn't take him long to take it off.

See you rascals Thursday.
Greg

Long as I can pull this bow
Long as I can hike the hills and walk among the trees
I keep on trying
My goals are high but I don't care
The fun is in the getting there, it justifies the end
So try, try again

Mark Baker, "Feathers thru the Wind"

Offline Curveman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: March 21, 2010, 06:16:00 PM »
Originally posted by Bowmag:
[QB] ...I did get a shot but Barry said it wasn't a miss because I shot low which means the arrow didn't actually get to the pig, so no miss.

This is just a small example of the goofball humor of both of the twins! I've had the pleasure of hunting with Barry, what, 5 times now and Gene twice and not once did I ever see either of them bore anyone or put on airs or get noticeably irritable with someone! Those would be  exceptional qualities for anyone to have and not any of which I for one can claim to, but they really do extend to all the folks I hunted with on week one.  I had a "no miss" too but not at any moment was I not having a great time and it was the people that made it so much fun!
Compliance Officer MK,LLC
NRA Life Member

Offline hormoan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: March 21, 2010, 08:01:00 PM »
Five days of nothing but fun, with my old buddy's. And a bunch of new one's I finally got to met. I sure hope to make next years.   :campfire:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©