3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: thoughts on the 3 rivers dalla  (Read 455 times)

Offline Lenny Stankowitz

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: thoughts on the 3 rivers dalla
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2010, 01:20:00 PM »
Originally posted by Bowbldr:
I'm with you Lenny. I have heard this a lot over the years, about the preload being adjustable  and all the other adjustment only on the DAS, Dalaa.
[/b]

I'm sure you know way more about this than me but from what I understand, the claim is that in the very lowest preload setting, the ILF dovetail can bind.  Personally, I have never experienced this, even with the limb bolt backed out well beyond where I would ever shoot it. I just wanted to see if it would indeed bind. Like I said before, if there is binding, it is probably going to be at the extreme low end of the preload range. This is my own personal opionion but I think it is more likely to happen on a computer program than in real life.  

If a guy with a 32" draw is using short limbs on your mini 14 riser, I'm guessing he's going to be headed for trouble...regardless of the connection.  :scared:

Offline Earthdog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2010, 02:01:00 PM »
My DAS hunter had four string silencers on the string as it came from the manufacturer plus the DAS limb pads.
My current ILF have two silencers and no padding,,their all pretty much the same as far as noise is concerned.
It's "great" that the new Dalla is now AMO compatable.
Every ILF bow I've seen can be set up with the preload you want,most also have adjustable limb alignment.
The recurve and Compound will always have some relationship to each other,,,there both just bows,,where do we think we would be today had the compound out come along,,,pretty much where we are I'd say.
David designed a great bow an set the ball in motion,,,,that was a very good thing.
Winning or losing is not the important thing,,the important thing is how well you played the game.

Offline Bob Morrison

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2010, 02:03:00 PM »
Usually if the dovetail binds you have taken more than 5 turns out on your bolt, and I have seen some ILF limbs that have a slight radius and you can bind them by make them too tight.
The Mini 13 aka Mini 14 Maybe 30" with long limbs and withs bolt 4 to 5 turns out.  After learning how the ILF risers are measured, I will be changing our numbering on the ILF risers, Mini 14 will be Mini 13, 16 to 15, 18 to 17, 20 to 19. I was using the overall length of the riser..
I've only been making ILF stuff for a little over 3 yrs now. They are still just a bow and I still have more to learn.

Offline Lenny Stankowitz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2010, 03:17:00 PM »
Originally posted by Bowbldr:

They are still just a bow and I still have more to learn.
[/b]

Isn't that the truth...for all of us.

Offline Paul Mattson

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2010, 03:33:00 PM »
I have a Dalaa Riser, the limbs are Trad Tech's Carbon Black Max.  It was very simple to change out the dovetail ILF to the DAS bushings.  The dovetail pressed out with a vise and I tapped in the bushings.  The bow is very quite and smooth to shoot.  I have been shooting AD Trad Lites and Heritage 150's from it.

Offline saltwatertom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2010, 05:04:00 PM »
I have a Dalaa and love it. I don't really know much about other bows, but I have shot BW's and I don't like them, (plus I don't like the looks of a BW, but that is just me, most people love them) The pre load on the Dalaa will allow you to tune the tiller  to your likes, say for 3 under instead of split. I have found that the string supplied with the Dalaa is not as good or quite as some after market strings. I have a SBD on the way right now and have used the flemish twist strings from 3R. I am still working on getting it as quiet as I would like, but people standing next to me at times have said all they hear is the arrow and not the bow.  As far as I am concerned this will be my last recurve, it's been making meat for me and hopefullly will ccntinue to do so for a long time.

JMHO
"There is always luck about, for those willing to look for it"

Offline George Metz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2010, 07:41:00 PM »
I bought a Dalaa 62" 55lb 17" riser to try out a couple of months ago. It is the first recurve I have ever shot. Not sure if it is representative of recurves in general, but this thing is a tank when compared to my Toelke Whip, Hill Big Five, or Aspen Elite. Heavy and unforgiving! When I do everything right on the shot, it is a very solid satisfying thunk. Slightest torque of the bow hand or pluck of the string and it's so loud the birds quit singing. I know I will continue making bad shots, hopefully less over time. However, my longbows love me even when I screw up....just like my wife.
"one's belief is not required to validate the truth."

Offline James on laptop

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2010, 08:21:00 PM »
I had one of the original Das bows.The limb pads would wear out and you would know it real quick.The bow would get very noisy and no way to fix it without putting out $38 for new pads and washers.Once they compress the brass fitting can hit on the metal riser.Now everything might be different including the material in the pads but at least on the orginal it was an on-going mantainence cost for me.That and the fact you had to have a bulky bracket to use AMO sights,AMS reels ect was the reason I sold mine.Good bow and I liked the way it shot but found I much prefered the ilf bows.No cost for limb bushings,no washers and pads to replace and not time swaping out limbs with other risers.As far as the extra preload goes, with a 17" riser you are goinf to be shooting them in the mid adjustment range  times out of 10 anyway so more does not really mean a thing.

You can contribute most of the netal riser ilf comeback to Bob Gordon.If not for most of us shooting his Warf bows we never would have ever give the DAS a try in the first place and most likely it would never have been built if the Warf bows had not become so popular. jmho

Offline Arrow4Christ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2010, 11:28:00 PM »
I have owned 4 DAS bows, and my father has 1 all with the DAS connection, all being left strung most of the time, and all having significant shooting time on them, and I have seen zero wear to the limb pads or anything else on the bows. None of mine have been the early bows though. I have had no maintenance issues with my DAS bows, and find them very dependable...I prefer shooting longbows right now, but my 21" Naki will always be in my arsenal  ;)

Craig

Offline SteveB

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2010, 07:05:00 AM »
My experiance mirrors Craig's. 4 Das bow's - my 1st has several 1000's of shots with no wear I can find anywhere - other then strings.

« Reply #30 on: March 20, 2010, 08:47:00 AM »
Concerning the more/less preload, I've noticed that at the extremes, the ILF bushing will bind in the dovetail slot-the DAS bushing won't. I doubt it's a good idea to set the ILF limbs past the binding and shoot them.  With the DAS connection, the limbs will still float freely on the rockers well beyond the limits of the ILF's.

As for the noise... well... I've heard too that the DAS connection is quieter, but I'm not convinced that it's an issue.  I am convinced that some limbs are quieter than others.  :^)

Offline Jason R. Wesbrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: March 20, 2010, 10:56:00 AM »
None of the animals I've killed over the past two years with my Titan complained about any noise.   ;)

Offline cch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: March 20, 2010, 11:00:00 AM »
I have a gen1 riser that was from the second run #13 and it still has the same pads that came with it in 2005. The only time it has been unstrung was for travel or changing limbs or strings and I don't see any wear in them at all. I just ordered a new black Dalla and hope it is just as good. The nice thing about the Dalla is with a solid sight window you can drill and tap for an amo sight.

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: March 20, 2010, 11:03:00 AM »
The new Dalaa's have the AMO holes now. No more needing brackets.

The Dalaa, Titan, Morrison, Belcher, etc. all work. Find what fits you and have fun. It's not a competition folks and no bow is one size fits all.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline Lenny Stankowitz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: March 20, 2010, 12:43:00 PM »
More and more I have been seeing where people are having to grind down the limb butts in order for them to fit on the Dalaa, even the Dalaa limbs.  Did they change the riser in some way or has this always been the case?  Seems like you shouldn't have to do that on a brand new setup.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©