3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bare Handed??  (Read 151 times)

Offline mrpenguin

• Trad Bowhunter
Bare Handed??
« on: March 19, 2010, 07:58:00 AM »
Gents,

I was at the club range yesterday and found that when shooting, my release was 10x cleaner and more accurate without my glove... bare fingers.  I have shot like this before to test bows, and tend to prefer it... it hurts a little after several shots, and the release clearly begins to fall apart as the pain sets in, but I am curious if anyone out there shoots this way all the time... me, I think I may switch over, especially for hunting, cause one well placed sharp arrow should be all it takes, right?
   :archer:
God Bless,
Erik
_ _ _ _  _  
Crow Creek Black Feather Recurve 49@28
Browning Wasp 50@28

"And we know for those who love God all things work together for good"-Romans 8:28

"It's so hard to stop being a man and start being a wolf" - G. Fred Asbell

Online Ryan Rothhaar

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bare Handed??
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2010, 08:10:00 AM »
I've shot bare fingered for 20 years.  I cheat a little, though, I triple serve my string where I grip it.  I use 2 nocking points (nock between) and triple serve (ie serve to and back) a couple inches above and maybe 4 inches below the nocking points.

I HATE stuff....gloves and tabs are stuff.  Just one more thing to not have to worry about.  Also you don't have to worry about clean releases anymore.  Its win/win.

BTW, for the guys that will tell you you'll ruin your fingers, I've shot up to 75lb bows for prolonged periods this way, you'll build up a callous on your fingers, but I don't see lasting effects.

Ryan

Online Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2010, 08:12:00 AM »
i prefer using a thin leather tab as it allows good finger/string protection while affording a very close and intimate feel to the string during release.

also, there's just more 'freedom' for my bowstring fingers - encasing 'em in a glove is just too restricting, for me.  

been using a tab since the 50's and see no reason to change.
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline mrpenguin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2010, 08:13:00 AM »
Thanks Ryan!
God Bless,
Erik
_ _ _ _  _  
Crow Creek Black Feather Recurve 49@28
Browning Wasp 50@28

"And we know for those who love God all things work together for good"-Romans 8:28

"It's so hard to stop being a man and start being a wolf" - G. Fred Asbell

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2010, 08:16:00 AM »
There is a risk.  You have nerves in your fingers, and some people have damaged them even when using a glove or tab--and obviously some can shoot bare-fingers without any ill effects.  

I shot with a glove for years, but found I get a much better release with a tab.  I also found that I could greatly improve my release by working on it (duh).  It's better to fix the problem than try to mask it.

Chad

Offline jerryb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2010, 08:18:00 AM »
dido  Just what wat Rob said.
Tredway 51@28 60"                 Tredway 48@28 60"                 21st Century 47@28 62"            Bear Grizzly 43@28 56" bear grizzley 48@28 58"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©