3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: side plate thoughts  (Read 186 times)

Offline BlueBarred

• Trad Bowhunter
side plate thoughts
« on: March 14, 2010, 03:43:00 PM »
Does it matter if the sideplate is hard (leather) or "cushioned" (velcro) for most forgiving arrow flight? My current setup is leather, but I've been wondering about the effect of a softer sideplate as many of the old target rests like the Hoyt allowed for a certain amount of compression to take place. Plungers take this idea to a whole different level, but I'm hoping to stay on the shelf for now. Just trying to figure out which will give me the best arrow flight, allowing for my still inconsistant form (working on that...). Thanks.
Dave

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: side plate thoughts
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2010, 04:29:00 PM »
Use the sideplate to micro-tune your arrows.  Using a softer sideplate, like female velcro or a Martin rug rest, will move your point of impact to the right.  Using a harder sideplate, like hard leather, will move your point of impact to the left.

If your form is inconsistent, I wouldn't worry too much about your side plate right now.  For example, you might be doing any one or a combination of things that throws your arrow to the left (common).  You might be able to move the point of impact slightly to the right by changing the side plate, but what you really need to do first is decide where your arrows are impacting when you shoot with good form, which you may not know yet.

For more forgiving arrow flight, make sure your arrows aren't too stiff.  Good arrow tuning is the best answer.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline BlueBarred

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2010, 05:26:00 PM »
Thanks McDave. My form is getting more consistant, but still lots of work to do! I know form always trumps equipment, but I do like to understand all the relationships involved with my setup. I have spent quite a bit of time tuning and feel pretty good about my arrows not being too stiff. As it stands now, fletched shafts do tend to hit left of where I'm "aiming". It could be from a larger form issue, but I'll try the softer sideplate just to see what happens. Then back to the blank bale! Thanks again.
Dave

Online lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2010, 05:34:00 PM »
Make sure you have the correct brace height on the bow before you go and change your plate.   :thumbsup:
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline eric-thor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2010, 08:33:00 PM »
i prefer leather it lasts . valcro seemed to wear out therefor be incostant. my 2cents
form is everything! shoot well shoot hard.

Offline Earthdog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2010, 04:27:00 AM »
On the bows I shoot off the shelf,I put a match stick under thin leather and forget about it so long as my arrow off set with the string is correct.
Any tuning is done by being very carefull in my arrow set up,plus working with my brace hight.
Winning or losing is not the important thing,,the important thing is how well you played the game.

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2010, 10:35:00 AM »
For me on my longbows I like a thinner side plate because they a not cut past center and they last longer.Now I did build out the side plate on my ACS because they are cut past center,it offered more tuning by building out the side plate.With my longbows I tune my arrows more.

Offline crack a toa

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2010, 09:20:00 AM »
in ol adcocks tuning guid he says to have the arrow touch the arrow shelf right above the deepest part of the grip. I always just put it in the center but I just changed it and am gonna try it.

Online lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2010, 01:45:00 PM »
I take an old belt and a razor blade and slice it in half 1/16 to an 1/8 and use that one belt at the GW will last years.Then some Barge cement and you have a rest.
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline Don Batten

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2010, 04:23:00 PM »
If I can, I'll tune the bow to the arrow instead of the arrow to the bow, every time. and most times I can with different sideplate material. Don
"The older I get, the better I was" Byron Fergenson.

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2010, 04:42:00 PM »
I prefer tough leather. I have it pretty thick on my Silvertip.
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Offline Ground Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2010, 05:30:00 PM »
If I'm getting good arrow flight - I don't worry about it.  Its just a arrow rest.  H

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©