3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Help me plan this ambush...gameplan!  (Read 242 times)

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Help me plan this ambush...gameplan!
« on: March 19, 2010, 02:29:00 PM »
Ok fellas, I am gonna ask for help. I have a bird that has become my nemesis. He's 3 years old now and I missed him twice in 2009 with my recurve: one spring, one fall. I know it is my nemesis because he has a limp or gimp as I call it. He hops more than he walks but managed to live through the winter. He was at full strut in one of my food plots yesterday...gobbling as if to say "I'm still here bud"

So here is the big picture. I have marked A, B, C as the setups: I have killed birds with "other" weapons in all 3 locations. I have also marked the roost and food plots. He roosts in both spots along with several 2 year-olds that are gobbling their fool heads off. I have never killed a traditional turkey and will not hunting with anything this year but my '57 Kodiak. I will be hunting out of 3 pop-up blinds and will have to stay within the lines of my 86 acres. So what do you think?

Here is the GoggleEarth view...I have alot of timber, 4 acres of food plots, and a great thicket here. Birds like it here (so do I)...

Mike Davenport

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Help me plan this ambush...gameplan!
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2010, 02:34:00 PM »
If you shot at and missed him with the bow, it sounds like you a long part of the way there.  Have you thought about an ambush on one of the trails he takes from the roost to the fields?  That can be an effective method right after fly down in the mornings.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline NorthernCaliforniaHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2010, 02:42:00 PM »
Where does he rendezvous with the hens in the morning? Set up on the path between his fly-down spot and the "dance hall" and I think you'll be right on 'em. If he's a smart bird I'd let the real hens do the talking and just sit quietly.
"...there are no words that can tell the hidden spirit of the wilderness, that can reveal its mystery, it's melancholy, and its charm." Theodore Roosevelt

Find me at ShareTheBounty

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2010, 02:43:00 PM »
Yes have thought about that but the problem is that when the tail is wagging the dog and the hens are in charge, well we usually do what THEY want  :)  I do have a logging road in there that can be setup on so that's a good idea!
Mike Davenport

Offline Dave Thaxton

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2010, 02:46:00 PM »
Seems as though you have him pegged. Agree with NCH...hunker down and let the hens bring him to you. Maybe cutt hard to get an old boss hen fired up, looking for you as an intruder and keep your fingers on the string! Good luck!
64"55@28 Kohannah Flatbow
60"53@28 Robertson Peregrine
68"45@28 Howard Hill Redman

Offline hayslope

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2010, 07:47:00 AM »
Which blind site(s) did you miss him from?  Or was it a different area?
TGMM Family of the Bow
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

“Only after the last tree has been cut down…the last river has been poisoned…the last fish caught, only then will you find that money cannot be eaten." - Cree Indian Prophesy

Offline Roy Steele

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2010, 09:19:00 AM »
It looks good your between him and the crop fields.Do you have nesting area's he may go there but later in the morning.

Do you have water.Use'ly the first place he or his hens go.Then they move on to food scorce then nesting areas.If their nesting yet.

Try getting between his roost and his hens or between their water and food scorce.Later in the morning set up a round hens nesting area's.
Late morning close to dusting area's
   Very hard to tell someone if their not there.So many veritables.Always a good chest game.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
 20 YEARS LEARNING 20 YEARS DOING  20 YEARS TEACHING
  CROOKETARROW

Offline kbetts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2010, 10:29:00 AM »
I'd try later in the morning.  I've had my best luck after 9 am when the toms are on the move.  Get 'em to gobble and sneak into your closest setup.  
Since you have a good bit of timber, I would make a couple more ground blinds that you can sneek in to if he's not around your others.  Even if you know which way he is going, 40 yds one way or the other can make a huge difference.  My woods will be filled with temporary "hides" this year just in case.
"The overhead view is of me in a maze...you see what I'm hunting a few steps away."  Phish

Offline rappstar

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2010, 12:05:00 PM »
If he's not roosting in the same place every night, pick any of the food plots that he frequents and set your blind up right in the open with some dekes.  He probably covers that whole 86 acres at some point during the day/morning.

You can always shoot some of those 2 year old birds if he doesn't show up!   :)

The old/smart birds that I've killed have all been after 10am or I was successful calling his hens to me and he followed....

I had a gimp gobbler on my place too last fall but don't know if he survived the winter or not.

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2010, 12:26:00 PM »
If all else fails,challenge the boss hen,get her fired up,just repeat everything she says,only a bit more excitedly. She will come to you,he will follow......
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2010, 10:26:00 PM »
Great info everyone thanks! I have set up 2 popups between roosts and A, B setups. I am keeping one popup as my ace in the whole...I can't wait. They really were gobbling today. I left my blinds and will not be back in there until the opener April 5th. Come on season opener!!! Thanks for all the ideas, and you can bet if one of those mouthy 2 year olds come into my set-up it is on  :)
Mike Davenport

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2010, 02:42:00 PM »
Well the traps are set...I have several birds on my place gobbling. T minus 4 days until the opener. Did some practicing with my huntin' partner.

The boy is a natural. He outshot me at 15 and was quite proud of himself.

Mike Davenport

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2010, 03:18:00 PM »
My groups could be better but shooting out of the blind at 20 yards tough.

I took the advice of many here and set-up on a logging road between 2 food plots as my primary ambush point. Come on April 5th. Thanks for the advice pals.

Mike Davenport

Offline Biggie Hoffman

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2010, 03:46:00 PM »
One word.......snares
PBS Life Member
Member 1K LLC

"If you are twenty and aren't liberal you don't have a heart...if you're forty and not conservative you don't have a brain".....Winston Churchill

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2010, 04:09:00 PM »
:)  Biggie I might need help settin' one of those! I could use your method of killin' turkies: Federal 3 1/2 inch 4 shot was it? I wonder how they shoot out of a '57 Kodiak  ;)
Mike Davenport

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©