3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: ONE PIECE RECURVE ON THE AIRPLANE......  (Read 407 times)

Offline hunterjt

• Trad Bowhunter
ONE PIECE RECURVE ON THE AIRPLANE......
« on: March 19, 2010, 09:24:00 PM »
I bought a srung case and want to know what do you guys do for as traveling on the plane? How to keep it from getting banged up.
"Choices you make dictates the life you live"

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: ONE PIECE RECURVE ON THE AIRPLANE......
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2010, 10:30:00 PM »
My brother has flown numerous times with my old Martin Hunter recurve in a padded bow case, just put-in with the rest of the luggage. I wouldn't do it myself, but so-far, so-good for my brother. I'd be wanting a hard case. And, certainly make sure you unstring your bow for travel.
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Online Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2010, 10:36:00 PM »
there is NO WAY i'd use ANY kinda padded case for a bow that's going in an aircraft cargo bay.  that's pure suicide for any bow.

i've flown quite a bit for both business and vacation, and all of my hunts in the last few years are flyouts.  airline baggage is treated like GARBAGE.  period.      

i don't know of a commercial bow case that will as strong as as thick walled schedule 40 PVC tube, with screwed in 1" thick plywood end caps - THAT would be the MINIMUM for protecting any bow on an aircraft.  this is the prime reason for looking into a t/d trad bow and why i fly with nothing less than my 2pc longbow that goes into a pvc tube, into my luggage pack.
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline John3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2010, 10:38:00 PM »
I flown quite a bit with a hard case (made by Viking Voyageur). Holds two one piece (up to 62" I think)recurve bows and is a quality case.  Never any issues what so ever.  I bought mine from Mike at the Nocking Point.

John III
"There is no excellence in Archery without great labor".  Maurice Thompson 1879

Professional Bowhunters Society--Regular Member
United Bowhunters of Missouri
Compton Life Member #333

Offline hunterjt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2010, 11:00:00 PM »
I shoot a black widow and there if no way I would check it with the bags. I would be too afraid I would have a 5 piece take down. Would love to have a hard case for travel but haven't found one. just thought it was a way they could care for it for you. if you know of a case that would fit please share the info
JT

Offline John3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2010, 11:37:00 PM »
Viking also makes a hard case for take down bows as well... Superb well made hard bow travel cases.  I've been on a lot of trips with them and don't worry a bit about my bows.. Only if they will be on the same plane as me.. LOL

John III
"There is no excellence in Archery without great labor".  Maurice Thompson 1879

Professional Bowhunters Society--Regular Member
United Bowhunters of Missouri
Compton Life Member #333

Online Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2010, 06:42:00 AM »
Originally posted by hunterjt:
I shoot a black widow and there if no way I would check it with the bags. I would be too afraid I would have a 5 piece take down. Would love to have a hard case for travel but haven't found one. just thought it was a way they could care for it for you. if you know of a case that would fit please share the info
JT
there are a number of covered, hard tube bow cases and they will not be cheap (about $90).  the BEST tube bow case is the one you make yourself - go to home depot or lowes and buy heavy wall PVC pipe, cut and fit 3/4" to 1" plywood caps and screw them in.  add a rope handle and yer good to go - you can drive a truck over that tube and nothing will happen.  this tube case will be stronger than the commercial $90 ones and might cost all of $20 or less to make. 3" or 4" diameter for long bows, 6" diameter for recurves.  you can paint, tape or cover the white tube if ya like.

Offline bentpole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2010, 07:14:00 AM »
One piece recurve? You have to measure to see in it will fit in a PVC tube. Rob and I own Mohawk Longbows so Vince actually mails the bow to you in a PVC Tube. You can go to a Carpet Store and see if they will let you have a wide diameter carpet tube. I used them a number of times to mail recurves. Cut round plywood caps like Rob said, The wider diameter carpet tubes are practically bazooka proof. They have to support yards of carpet for shipping. The other alternative is  to pack your curve in a carpet tube and mail it to your destination. This way you don't have to worry about baggage handlers . Just don't mail it UPS. I think those guys worked as baggage handlers at one time. Use the Post Office.

Offline Big Ed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2010, 07:41:00 AM »
I usually ship my bow and necessities through UPS or the Postal Service. A little less to worry about at the airport. Big Ed
"Get kids involved in the outdoors"

Offline cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2010, 08:20:00 AM »
I buy many bows a year and collect them to my address in Colorado,I don't ship them home but I carry them as a luggage,put them in some sky bags,that being oversized they have a different cargo line.My bows are not really well wrapped because in this manner I can store 5-6 bow for bag,then I tape 2 bags together for a total of 10-11 bows.I did that many times and I still have a bow to be damaged.Said that when I go hunting I rely only on my TD,well padded and i don't want a one piece bow for luggage limitations.Black Widow by the way offers the best tube to protect bows I have ever seen and it come standard with the 1 piece LB.
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline Jason Hansen

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2010, 12:29:00 PM »
Originally posted by John3:
I flown quite a bit with a hard case (made by Viking Voyageur). Holds two one piece (up to 62" I think)recurve bows and is a quality case.  Never any issues what so ever.  I bought mine from Mike at the Nocking Point.

John III
Hey John, are the Viking Voyageur cases the same as the ones available through 3 Rivers Archery?
“That land is a community is the basic concept of ecology, but that land is to be loved and respected is an extension of ethics.”
― Aldo Leopold

Offline Biggie Hoffman

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2010, 01:11:00 PM »
Man...the 1st time we went to Colorado, I carried on my Bear Grizzly in a bowsock.....
PBS Life Member
Member 1K LLC

"If you are twenty and aren't liberal you don't have a heart...if you're forty and not conservative you don't have a brain".....Winston Churchill

Online Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2010, 02:00:00 PM »
Originally posted by Biggie Hoffman:
Man...the 1st time we went to Colorado, I carried on my Bear Grizzly in a bowsock.....
when wuz that, like 50's or 60's?   :D

Offline zirnsak

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2010, 02:27:00 PM »
3rovers sells an awesome travel case and arrow case. THey have two levels one with leather upgrades as well. It really is nice and protects the bows perfectly. I have used mine many times and even for care travel as well. Never can be to careful when protecting our toys
Nothing brings three generations together like shooting tradional! Love you Pop, Brother Bear and my boys H & Luke.

Offline poison arrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2010, 03:05:00 PM »
I carried on board twice. Once the pretty sturdess put it in the cockpit with the pilots.

Offline Biggie Hoffman

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2010, 06:25:00 PM »
Rob. I ain't no older than YOU!

:goldtooth:
PBS Life Member
Member 1K LLC

"If you are twenty and aren't liberal you don't have a heart...if you're forty and not conservative you don't have a brain".....Winston Churchill

Offline Apadaka

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2010, 07:39:00 PM »
I have gone the PVC route for longbows for years, but I have gravitated back to hunting with recurves and I use the 3 Rivers Standard Recurve Travel Case exclusively. Works great for extreme limbs like my BW PSR or Great Northern Super Ghost. I highly recommend this over anything out there for protecting your "best friend".   Randy

Offline hunterjt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2010, 08:19:00 PM »
Originally posted by Rob DiStefano:

when wuz that, like 50's or 60's?    :D  [/b]
LOL

Offline Biggie Hoffman

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2010, 08:47:00 PM »
PBS Life Member
Member 1K LLC

Online Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2010, 09:48:00 PM »
Rob. I ain't no older than YOU!

:goldtooth:  
yah, right, pre-9/11.   :D  

nowadayze, to get on a plane ya gotta take off yer shoes and jacket, and anything that resembles a 'weapon' (like a hair pin, tweezers or gold plated tooth pick) gets confiscated 'fore they let ya in the cabin.

not to mention that ALL airlines have different rules in different states and at different airports.  that's a fact.  ask me how i know this three times over ...    

so yer feelin' lucky and you wanna take yer 1pc, or let's say a 3pc bow that's snuggled in a nice comfy case (hard or soft, don't matter) on board the aircraft cabin, and as you get checked and they nice airline agents tell ya, 'no, that's not allowed on board the cabin, you'll hafta let us put that in cargo for ya - just a minute while i toss that bow case of yours over to the baggage gorilla'.  

oops, you weren't so lucky, were ya?

you wouldn't have been any luckier if they flagged yer bow case during the security check.

airlines these dayze just plain suck.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©