3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Updated PICS - trip to Horne's Archery  (Read 408 times)

Offline buckster

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
Updated PICS - trip to Horne's Archery
« on: March 20, 2010, 06:16:00 PM »
I recently attended one of Hornes Archery's 2-Day bow-building schools; and I just wanted to convey my deepest appreciation to Mark and Sandy for the great experience that this turned out to be for me!

I arrived there on Friday evening, March 5th and received the "royal treatment" from Mark and Sandy... including a wonderful Elk steak dinner and all the trimmings... what a thoughtful treat they gave me after a long day of driving.        :notworthy:        

I stayed at their bunk house located at the back of their property and it was so roomy and comfortable.  Mark and Sandy have been working diligently to renovate this double-wide and it was extremely nice, and on-site.

At 8:00 Saturday morning I met the other 3 fine gentlemen that I would spend the next 2 days with... Dan & Ron Morrow, and Josh from S. TX. It was just so much fun getting to know everyone, and learning the steps in bringing our bows up to speed using simple tools such as rasps, sand paper, steel wool a vise and a few of the belt sanders and other hand tools.

This wonderful traditional experience will be etched in my mind forever, I felt almost giddy and even a bit nervous during the entire process, becuase I must admit that I am pretty wood-working challenged.  But under Mark's oversight and tutiledge, I managed to pull off a 3-piece longbow that I am finding that I shoot  better than ANY of the other custom longbows I currently own, with some costing TWICE the amount!  Mark's design is that good!!

From my perspective, Mark gave just the right amount of instruction, but still gave us full freedom to bring about our own artistic qualities to the bow.  Josh, Dan and Ron's bows were all so beautiful!  We had a great time building and shooting our bows and hanging out at the local Mexican place for some great eats!

Furthermore, I have the pride of knowing that I used my own hands to craft this amazing little bow.  I went with a Buginga handle with Bucote overlays, and Tonkin Bamboo limbs.  It is a smooth and hard hitting combination to be sure.  I had hoped to put it to the test in TX on HUNT #5, but I didn't manage to get a shot on this hunt, so that will have to wait to another day.

I want to recommend to anyone in Traditional Archery to get yourself to one of Mark and Sandy's schools.  The hospitality is A++, and the wisdom and experience gained is invaluable in so many ways.  Plus you walk away with a beautiful new bow that YOU MADE!!!  How cool is that???       :clapper:      

Me, Ron, Dan and BIG Josh with our beauties!

The Man, the Myth, the Legend!

My longbow getting ready for final spray in the booth.
"Carpe Carp" ... Seize the fish.

Offline Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Updated PICS - trip to Horne's Archery
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2010, 06:21:00 PM »
Ya I just gotta get to one of those schools! Good for you and a very sharp looking bow you got at the end of it.  

Hats off to the Horne's
“Elk (add hogs to the list) are not hard to hit....they're just easy to miss"          :)
TGMM

Offline jwc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2010, 08:15:00 PM »
Barry,
Great to meet you.
I still think the Bamboo on your limbs is the best thing since sliced bread!  I sent some pics of my bow to a non archer friend of mine and he called me and told me he wanted to go build one and wanted me to go back with him.  So I am signed up to head back May 1st & 2nd to build a 1 piece like Ron's (with bamboo limbs like yours) and build the longbow limbs to go with my recurve for the takedown I built with you.  Now I just have to figure out how to sleep for the next 6 weeks until I go back.

Today I went to the range where I spend almost every Saturday.  While I am pulling my bow out of the sock one of the regulars who shoots an  olympic style Hoyt recurve almost dropped his bow coming over to see what I had in my hand.  He asked me who made the bow, to which I replied I did.  He said, I know it is your bow but who made it, to which I replied again I did.  Let me tell you I was one proud papa.

Congratulations on your beautiful bow!
Josh
"Sisu"

Offline Jmgcurve

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2010, 08:32:00 PM »
Sounds like a great learning and fun experience. Fantastic looking bows!
Life is not about surviving the storm, but learning to dance in the rain!
Blessed is the Nation whose God is the LORD,... Psalm 33:12

Offline jesse cales

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2010, 09:03:00 PM »
sounds like you had alot of fun barry.  :thumbsup:

Offline PAPA BEAR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2010, 09:30:00 PM »
awesome barry...i'd love to attend that bow building class.to bad its so far from here.
IT'S NEVER WRONG TO DO WHATS RIGHT AND NEVER RIGHT TO DO WHATS WRONG.....LOU HOLTZ

Offline 16 gauge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2010, 10:25:00 PM »
Barry,  
  Thanks for the report. Sounds like it was a great time and learning experience. I hope to get the chance to attend..... Dana

Offline Burr Acres

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2010, 07:29:00 AM »
Great write-up Barry! We did have fun and I hope you do it again sometime.

JOSH - you are bitten by the bug and I think it's great! You have to do it a second time to fully appreciate the first experience.

You guys take care,

Dan

Offline DEAN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2010, 10:01:00 AM »
WAY TO GO BARRY!!!!!NICE BOW AND I'LL TAKE MINE (LH 64 IN 47 TO 52 #)
TGMM Family of the Bow
Comptons Traditional Bowhunter

Offline Muleyslayer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2010, 06:44:00 PM »
Just put that on my to do list!   :D
"LUCK"
When preparation meets opportunity

Offline jcar315

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2010, 06:47:00 PM »
Sounds like a truly amazing learing opportunity. Congrats!!

Like seeing those two lefty bows too. Any more pics of your bow??

Thanks for sharing.
Proud Dad to two awesome Kids and a very passionate pig hunter.

Right handed but left eye dominant.

Proud to be a Native TEXAN!!!!!

"TGMM  Family of the Bow"

Offline A.S.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2010, 07:47:00 PM »
Barry, I'm truly jealous!!  I'd love to try that someday.

Offline buckster

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2010, 12:57:00 PM »
Thanks kindly. I have been enjoying this bow so much I haven't been able to take any additional pics, but will do so this week and put them up next week when I return from Spring break.

I picked this one out to bring to our cabin at Joe Wheeler State Park this week on the beautiful TN river.  I shot about 100 arrows this morning and still can't believe what a nice longbow this turned out to be!

Offline Horne's Archery

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2010, 01:38:00 PM »
Barry,

Good to see that you made it back from your hunt.  It was great having you in class.  I really enjoyed our time together.

Looking forward to more photos.

Mark

Offline Gerardo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2010, 07:49:00 PM »
Barry , Nice bow!!!! I definetly have to go to Mark`s place to build me a bow, I`ll wait for the next pics
Gerardo Rodriguez

Offline Horne's Archery

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2010, 10:46:00 AM »
Jerardo, it would be great to have you in one of our classes . Check our site for a date that works for you. I have  started booking the High Country bow schools .These classes will be held in June , at my brothers  up river lodge . This lodge is just east of Meeker Colorado .

Offline Horne Shooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2010, 11:55:00 AM »
Josh...I feel like a proud father.  I knew you would love the class, the Hornes and your new bow.  See you soon...Paul
Live every day like its your last, one day you'll be right.

Offline jwc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2010, 10:32:00 PM »
Today I shot my fist 3D shoot with my Horne's Bow School bow and every trad shooter I encountered came over and asked me what I was shooting.  I can't remember the last time I smiled so much.

Dan - you are right I have the bug.  I don't think a flu shot will help either.

Paul - I think my life would have been a lot cheaper had you not told me about Horne's but boy am I glad you did.  

Mark - get me glued up for my return trip, I can't wait!  

Josh
"Sisu"

Offline Horne's Archery

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2010, 02:23:00 PM »
Josh , glad to here you are enjoying your bow .Your next bow will be waiting four you  when you come to your class.   Mark

Offline buckster

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2010, 12:28:00 PM »
Here are the additional pics requested ya'll.

IF YOU LAUGH AT MY PINK FLETCHING, I'LL HIT YOU WITH MY MAN PURSE!  :jumper:  

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©