3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: PREDATOR RECURVES  (Read 978 times)

Offline windell

• Trad Bowhunter
PREDATOR RECURVES
« on: March 20, 2010, 10:04:00 PM »
I HAVE BEEN INTERESTED IN THESE BOWS FOR A WHILE NOW, AND THINKING ABOUT ORDERING ONE. BUT I HAVE NEVER SAW ONE IN PERSON,LITTLE ON GOT TO SHOOT ONE. I HAVE NOTICED THEY ARE VERY RARELY FOR SALE IN THE CLASIFIEDS.WHICH LEADS ME TO BELEIVE THERE MUST BE SOMETHING TO THEM IF EVERYBODY KEEPS THEM AFTER THEY BUY THEM.I WAS WANTING TO HEAR SOME OF THE PRETADOR OWNER'S OPINIONS ON HOW THEY SHOOT AND HOW THEY PERFORM. AND I WOULD LOVE TO SEE SOME PIC'S OF DIFFERENT WOOD COMBINATIONS OF SOME OF YOUR BOW'S. THANKS WINDELL

Offline Bel007

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: PREDATOR RECURVES
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2010, 10:16:00 PM »
I just got my first one a couple weeks ago... Have not shot it much yet but here is what I've noticed.

1.  I like the grip, wider than most.  fits well in my hand

2. solid weight of riser makes good shooting platform w/o being too heavy

3. low rest, points where I aim

4. Smooth draw, that would be quality limbs

5. Thwap thud!  Flings them arrows w authority, fast and hard.

I tried them first in Kazoo at the TBH expo.  The design caught my eye.  After trying one, I liked 'em.  Now having one, picked up used, I can see me paying full price for a custom down the road.

P.S. If you get one, try it, and dont like it, it seems you'll have no problem re-selling it.
Brian - aka "Big Sexy"
Compton Traditional Bowhunters - Lifetime Member

Offline stickytoes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2010, 10:22:00 PM »
hi, i have an older 1995 predator that i just had ron and mike refinish and i got to shoot there newer models at kalamazoo.... i am very impressed with there products and there customer sevice is outstanding.... what i really like about there recurves is the weight (they are on the heavier side) and there handle design is unique and brings the arrow very near the top of your hand .....of coarse like any bow you need to see one and shoot it if you can... and there limb design makes for a fast hard shooting bow.

Offline 2elkhunt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2010, 10:23:00 PM »
I have had my Predator Super Classic for 3 years now and love it.It is 47#@28" and its very quiet,smooth and smokes an arrow.I shoot 29 3/4" 2016's with 100&125gr heads.The bow is really forgiving and I get comments about how fast it is.I dont think you can go wrong with a predator and Ron/Mike at huntersniche are great people to deal with.I highly recommend them.I even got a 56" Predator for my 6yr old from them it is 26#@28" and I even shoot it some it shoots great even at my 29" draw.

Hope this helps,i'm sure you will get some more positive info from the other Predator guys on here.
Bill

Bear Hodiak Hunter
Bear Custom Kodiak TD

Why settle for LESS!!

Offline crack a toa

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2010, 10:48:00 PM »
I have always been interested in trying one my self, good luck

Offline Bonebuster

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2010, 11:04:00 PM »
I`ve been a Predator shooter for over ten years now.

I only own two bows that I actually use. A Martin Lynx recurve for bowfishing, and my Predator Classic for hunting.

I had two sets of limbs in identical draw weight, and just recently sold the second pair here on Tradgang. My plan was to order a fancy new one this spring.

I shot two dozen arrows out of my old friend today, and have decided to keep it as my go to for another year. It has everything I look for in a bow. It looks good, feels good, and shoots where I look. It is whisper quiet, and loves heavy arrows. It is a bow built to hunt.

I have owned Martin(s) a Black Widow, several Bears, and a Bighorn. All of them could be considered great bows. My Predator has always been my favorite. I could just FEEL myself be a better shooter shortly after getting it. The arrow is so close to my hand, that it points naturally. I do not always get to shoot as often as I would like, and always rely on my first arrow of ANY practice session to be the real test of my shooting ability. I can pick up my bow, after a couple weeks layoff, and build my confidence with one shot.

I`ll try to get my wife to post a picture of my old friend in action.

Offline Bonebuster

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2010, 11:12:00 PM »

Offline Bonebuster

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2010, 11:14:00 PM »

Offline Bonebuster

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2010, 11:19:00 PM »
The last photo is of my fourteen year old son, who forked out his own money for his Predator Classic. If HE will spend HIS OWN money on ANYTHING, it`s got to be good. He is tighter than bark on a tree.

Seriously, bows are a personal preference, but used Predators are rare, and it IS for good reason.

Offline SERGIO VENNERI

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2010, 11:31:00 PM »
What bone buster said and more! They are absolutely the best value  in a traditional Bow out there ! Ron and Mike are fine fellas to boot.

Offline maxfit

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2010, 07:53:00 AM »
I had one and loved it. The only thing was it was so loud. I tried everything heavy arrows, extra string silencers etc... i had a beautiful buck jump the string and then a squirrel! I sold it, and do miss it. I would get another one in a second if i could quiet it down. Just an opinion. I probably should have called Ron or Mike and talked to them , because they are great to deal with. I think i sold it too soon!
Lu 11:21  When a strong man armed keepeth his palace, his goods are in peace:

Offline hayslope

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2010, 08:06:00 AM »
My local archery shop is now carrying them.

One of the trad shooters that comes in tried a couple (and ended up buying one).  He then handed one to me to give a try.  After putting three arrows in the target that were touching, I handed it back and told him to "take this away".  Just what I need......another bow!!!!! lol

I really like the way they look, feel and shoot.  Like others have said......they fling an arrow pretty quick.  Granted these were bows right off the rack with no silencing, but as maxfit noted, they were both fairly noisy.  Nothing outrageous so I don't think it would be difficult to remedy that situation.

All-in-all, very nice bows.  Given the price that I was heard......they are a great deal in today's market.
TGMM Family of the Bow
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

“Only after the last tree has been cut down…the last river has been poisoned…the last fish caught, only then will you find that money cannot be eaten." - Cree Indian Prophesy

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2010, 09:49:00 AM »
I have nothing bad to say about them.  I own two.
Be aware that the size of the grip varies and that turns some folks off.  One of my bows has a nice narrow grip, which I seem to really  prefer.  The other is much wider and uncomfortable.  I bought the second bow for the limbs so it is not a major concern for me, but if I had received the second bow first. . .  I would not be shooting a Predator today.

Mine is fast,  quiet, points really well, hits where I point. .   and looks really good too !
ChuckC

Offline ishoot4thrills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2010, 09:53:00 AM »

Specs are below. This is my second Predator. The first was too much draw weight. This one is perfect and I love the osage!
58" JK Traditions Kanati Longbow
Ten Strand D10 String
Kanati Bow Quiver
35/55 Gold Tip Pink Nugents @ 30"
3 X 5" Feathers
19.9% FOC
49# @ 26.75"
165 FPS @ 10.4 GPP (510 gr. hunting arrow)
171 FPS @ 9.7 GPP (475 gr. 3D arrow)
3 Fingers Under

Offline Bow50

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2010, 10:08:00 AM »
Great bows

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2010, 10:32:00 AM »
Sharp looking Predator Doug.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline ishoot4thrills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2010, 10:58:00 AM »
Thanks Tom. It's the bow like I've always wanted.
   :)
Ten Strand D10 String
Kanati Bow Quiver
3 X 5" Feathers
19.9% FOC
49# @ 26.75"
3 Fingers Under

Offline ishoot4thrills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2010, 11:51:00 AM »
Now here's the one I used to have but it was too much draw weight for me to shoot well for very long periods. It's a Predator II from Darton, which was overseen by Pittsley several years ago when Darton picked up the Predator line of bows.

Ten Strand D10 String
Kanati Bow Quiver
3 X 5" Feathers
19.9% FOC
49# @ 26.75"
3 Fingers Under

Offline Renaissance Man

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2010, 12:41:00 PM »
This is my Predator, bought it at Denton Hill last year after shopping for a new recurve. I have shot and/or owned pretty much every brand curve out there, I shot over dozen different makers bows side by side at Denton, and I can tell you this. You will not find any that will out shoot it for a combination of accuracy, smoothness, QUIET,speed,durability and stability under different shooting positions.
Plus they are gorgeous.
Here's mine.

Offline Bmac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2010, 01:21:00 PM »
I have two Predators with an extra set of limbs.  They are excellent shooting bows, fast and quiet.  They hit where you are looking.  As for the grips, Ron and Mike will work with you to get the grip you want. This is my 58" Black Phenolic and Maple 48# @28".  My other is a Bocote and Maple with a pair of 60" limbs, 42# and 52#.  

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©