3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Fletching tools...which one  (Read 967 times)

Offline Ed Neudorf

• Trad Bowhunter
Fletching tools...which one
« on: March 20, 2010, 10:51:00 PM »
I figure it might be a good idea for me to get a fletching jig. My feathers tend to get a little messed up shooting gophers,and I'd like to make some Flu Flu's. I don't need anything fancy or expensive,just need to replace the odd feather and vane. Any recommendations? Also,when making Flu Flu's, is there a proper way to do this? How many feathers do you use,and do you put them on differently than regular feathers?

Offline Grey Taylor

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Fletching tools...which one
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2010, 10:58:00 PM »
I've been really happy with Vador jigs. They're less expensive than some others but work great.
For flu-flus I generally make a 6 fletch of about 4-5" cuts from a full length feather. I do three feathers on 3-fletch and then flip the shaft 180 degrees and do another 3 feathers on 3-fletch. The feathers get a little tight on the jig but you end up with a great flu-flu.

Guy
Tie two birds together; though they have four wings, they can not fly.
The Blind Master

Offline Shedrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2010, 10:59:00 PM »
Bitzenburger is a fine jig. I haven't tried any others. They are spendy, but worth it. Every now and then a used one comes up for sale.

As far as flu flu's, I like the spiral wrap where you take one full length feather and spiral it down and around your shaft. Look's great and works great.
Member of;
Comptons
Pope and Young
PBS
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
and Life member of Bowhunters Of Wyoming

Offline thunder1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2010, 11:01:00 PM »
Blitzenberger are a good one but costly. You can do a search on powwow for fletching jigs.That should give several pages of good information.
No man ever stood so tall as when he stooped to help a child

David

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2010, 11:02:00 PM »
Bitzenburger all the way.  Worth every penny.  Your great grandkids will be using it.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline Ed Neudorf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2010, 11:22:00 PM »
Originally posted by Shedrock:
Bitzenburger is a fine jig. I haven't tried any others. They are spendy, but worth it. Every now and then a used one comes up for sale.

As far as flu flu's, I like the spiral wrap where you take one full length feather and spiral it down and around your shaft. Look's great and works great.
Where do you get full length feathers? If you wrap them like that, I take it you have to do it by hand,correct? Is one feather sufficient,and will this arrow shoot well off the shelf?

Offline NW Trad Wife

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2010, 11:40:00 PM »
I'm all for the Bitzenberger as well. It is expensive, but worth every penny.  I like fletching my own arrows and this jig makes it super easy!

Offline BowHuntingFool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2010, 12:00:00 AM »
Look into the Bearpaw jig! Pretty sweet, easy switch of a button to go from 3, 4 or 6 fletch! KK has them for $50....
>>>---Joe Bzura---->

Big River Longbow 66" 52# @ 28"
Big River Longbow 66" 47# @ 28"
Big River Longbow 62" 52# @ 28"
Big River Recurve 60" 48# @ 28"
NewWood Longbow 58" 45# @ 28"

Wisconsin Traditional Archers
      Ojibwa Bowhunters

Offline Ground Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2010, 12:07:00 AM »
Bitz.  H

Offline Big-un08

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2010, 12:08:00 AM »
I'll chime in for the Bearpaw also. Very well constructed and very versatile.
Experience is something that you do not get until right after you need it!!!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline jcar315

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2010, 12:22:00 AM »
I have several Bitz jigs and they are great. I will admit I am curious about the Bearpaw jig. How easy is it to change to four fletch? Well constructed or not?
Proud Dad to two awesome Kids and a very passionate pig hunter.

Right handed but left eye dominant.

Proud to be a Native TEXAN!!!!!

"TGMM  Family of the Bow"

Offline Earthdog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2010, 12:56:00 AM »
I've used a BPE for the last 10 years or so,,have used others as well,,they all work ok once you work them out.

Always wanted a Blitz, but couldn't find one second hand an I only fletch up about 4 dozen arrows a year so the BPE suits me fine.
Winning or losing is not the important thing,,the important thing is how well you played the game.

Offline walkabout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2010, 01:28:00 AM »
i use an el cheapo bohning jig, havent had any problems with it yet. switching from 3 to four fletch takes a tool and some disassembly but i dont shoot four fletch i shoot 3, not that it takes a long time, probably a minute. anyway it suits me just fine
Richard

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2010, 06:56:00 AM »
having owned and used far too many fletching jigs over the decades, including more than a few of the ubiquitously omnipresent and magical bitz fletchers. these dayze i find a simple polycarb fletcher such as the bohning is more than capable of perfectly and accurately fletching woodies, carbs and alums for 3 and 4 fletch patterns.  use the extra buck$ saved from not buying a bitz for more arrow shafts and other trad goodies.  if durability is an issue, a polycarb fletcher will outlast you and your grandchildren.

as to flu-flu's ... unless bird-on-the-wing or tree squirrel shooting is the game at hand, i don't want to shoot those kinda arrows.  i want to always hunt (or rove) with arrows that are the same i'll hunt with for ground based critters.  shooting the same flying arrows helps my consistency and accuracy, and there are no adjustments that are needed because the arrow will fly differently.  ymmv.
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline cbCrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2010, 07:32:00 AM »
I have used a number of fletchers over the years including JoJan,Blitz, and others but my favorite is the Pro BPE, with the blitz a close second.

Offline 684Kevin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2010, 07:37:00 AM »
Bitzenburger Jig.  As for Flu-Flu's,  4 fletch will greatly reduce the distance they sail past the target as compared to the 3 fletch.  Greg Taylors post above is a great method for 6 fletch. Never shot a 6 fletch since I use small diameter Easton FMJ arrows.  I bet they would work great.

Offline paul11

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2010, 10:26:00 AM »
Bitzenburger jig and fletch tape make a great combo!

Offline Flinttim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2010, 10:35:00 AM »
My brother in law gave me, lo these many years ago, an old Herters/Thompson fletcher. They don't get mentioned much but I find them to be a very good fletcher. Cabelas bought the rights to it and now sell under their name. Can be had in "straight" or "helical"
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2010, 11:07:00 AM »
Bitzenberger fletch too is the way to go. For full length feathers I go to Raptorarchery.com

Offline walkabout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2010, 11:09:00 AM »
one thing i like about the straight bohning jig is that i can set the offset as much in either direction as i see fit. that way if i acquire say a left wing from a turkey i can just adjust the offset to left and spit out left hand fletched arrows without needing to buy a diferent clamp
Richard

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©