3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Who still shoots alum.  (Read 2242 times)

Offline daveycrockett

• Trad Bowhunter
Who still shoots alum.
« on: March 20, 2010, 11:41:00 PM »
Think I'm going back to alum. Just seems a lot more simple. For some reason carbons give me fits. Seems all I do is fiddle with this and that trying to get consistent flight. I don't know , maybe it's just me. Alum. just seems more forgiving, and they weigh good without the front loading and such. Just my opinion, wondering if anyone else shared it?

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Who still shoots alum.
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2010, 11:56:00 PM »
I shoot both carbons and swagged aluminum. I love the consistancy of my 2117 Dougherty Naturals and I have a few Legacy's laying around.

There is only a 20 grain difference between my aluminum and AD Trad Lites...525 grains and 546 grains with the 125 Zwickeys but the carbons are definitely faster and flatter.

I got both to work for me so I'm happy.....
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline John3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2010, 12:14:00 AM »
If you remember I was the ONLY guy still shooting XX75's in BC three springs ago...LOL

I still shoot alum's out of my Black Widow quite a bit but I've gone the other way.  Gold Tips are tough and fly perfect once I spend the time to tune them to perfection.

I still have enough JDA Supernatural shafts to last two lifetimes.. Yeah!
"There is no excellence in Archery without great labor".  Maurice Thompson 1879

Professional Bowhunters Society--Regular Member
United Bowhunters of Missouri
Compton Life Member #333

Offline daveycrockett

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2010, 12:17:00 AM »
Howdy John, how you been? That sure was a fun trip, huh?

Offline John3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2010, 12:31:00 AM »
Big fun David.  I pull out all my BC pics at least once a year... I am reminded why they call it beautiful British Columbia!

:goldtooth:
"There is no excellence in Archery without great labor".  Maurice Thompson 1879

Professional Bowhunters Society--Regular Member
United Bowhunters of Missouri
Compton Life Member #333

Offline Straitshot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2010, 12:31:00 AM »
I shot strictly aluminum up until about two years ago. Bought a few dozen Gold Tips and didn't like them at first until I learned how to tune them. I now shoot both and still like shooting my XX78's. Bought several dozen over the last 4 years because of rumors about the possibility of them becoming scarce.
A man's true measure is not found in what he says, but in what he does.

Offline painthorse

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2010, 01:00:00 AM »
I still shoot 1916's. Archery is a funny thing. Trad shooters going to carbon and most of my wheeled bow friends are going back to aluminum.

Offline Earthdog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2010, 01:12:00 AM »
I still have a couple of dozen XX75 2016's that I take out now an then.

Not really biased either way,but I do shoot Carbons more now days.
Winning or losing is not the important thing,,the important thing is how well you played the game.

Online SuperK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2010, 01:41:00 AM »
I shoot wood mostly but alum arrows are mighty consistant and real easy to make.  Its sure is handy when I bury a broadhead in a tree or root to just unscrew it and go on.  With the price of good arrow wood you find nowadays, alum is a better buy most of the time.  I use both.
They exchanged the truth of GOD for a lie,and worshiped and served created things rather than the Creator-who is forever praised.Amen Romans 1:25 NIV

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2010, 02:12:00 AM »
1818s,1918s, and 2018s, depending on the bow. I shoot wood for hunting most of the time.  Usually, I can switch from one bow with aluminum and go to one that is set up for wood with one practice session  if I change bows during the fall season.

Offline Ringneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2010, 02:27:00 AM »
I shoot aluminum and carbon. Love the ease of tuning alum but hate the bending.

Offline Earthdog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2010, 03:11:00 AM »
As a result of this thread,I went an dug out a few of my 2016's an shot them side by side with my GT's and carbon express arrows.
They really are a very good shaft an did seem most consistant of them all.
Think I'll order some more an use em' for indoors.
Winning or losing is not the important thing,,the important thing is how well you played the game.

Online Steelhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2010, 03:31:00 AM »
I still shoot aluminum.2016s,2018s,1920s,2115s and 2020s.One thing that relates to what your talking about is I can grab one of these sizes or 2 and slap a 100 125 or 145 grain head on it and be reasonably sure I got an arrow that gonna be pretty close to good if not about perfect.One thing nice about aluminum is the consistency in spine and also the consistancy in spine all around the circumfirance of the shaft.So you can just put you knock on and not worry if the shaft is softer or stiffer in relation to your nock placement.Carbons can and do vary.

I do shoot carbons as well.I have had good luck with em without to much tinkering around and going crazy.Maybe I have been lucky thier in my choices.They make a superb hunting arrow no doubt when flying good and certainly have some advantages.I still like and shoot aluminum though as well.

Offline Igor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2010, 03:34:00 AM »
1916(s)and fir shafts (50/55 - 60/65) these days. All my bows are currently from the sixties (sold my customs).

Current favorite bows

Shakespeare Ocala
Pearson Mercury Hunter

><>

chief
Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding In all your ways submit to him and he will direct your paths

Offline dave19113

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2010, 04:40:00 AM »
I shoot aluminums and like em... But I do shoot GT's too.... Lets face it... they are more durable.... But I have soooooo many 2219's
FREEDOM IS NOT FREE

Offline Panzer II

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2010, 04:49:00 AM »
I shoot them, 2018, 2117, and 2219.

Online glenbo

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2010, 07:08:00 AM »
I am quite fond of my 2018 legacy shafts.I dont have much experience with carbons

Offline cbCrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2010, 07:23:00 AM »
I shoot aluminums, tried wood  but when you only get 10 good shafts out of 3doz. time to dance with what brung ya. Aluminum!Because I shoot lighter weight bows I find that their is a wider selection and the consistency that I seek.  :archer:

Offline thunder1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2010, 07:34:00 AM »
I still shoot alum. on targets but for stumpin or blind bale shooting I use carbon. It saves on bent arrows.
No man ever stood so tall as when he stooped to help a child

David

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2010, 08:13:00 AM »
I shoot aluminum arrows only. I don't care for the thin diameter of carbon arrows and I'm not into loading up on the tip weight craze that carbon shooters are into. Since I have a 30" draw length and shoot light poundage bows, my 32" (BOP) light arrows turn into heavy arrows since I use large diameter arrows tipped with a 145 grain broadhead glued to a 36 grain screw-in Zwickey long broadhead adapter. My heavy arrows grain per pound wise are flat shooting out to 20 yards.
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©