3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Just got my first deer..... again!!  (Read 1454 times)

Offline lt-m-grow

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Just got my first deer..... again!!
« Reply #40 on: March 22, 2010, 03:50:00 PM »
Originally posted by Charlie Lamb:
Been all gimped up for almost a year Dick. You know how that slows a guy down.    :banghead:  
I didn't know that.  I just figured he was taking one of his long pauses during a story.

Offline Bonebuster

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: March 22, 2010, 05:44:00 PM »
A good story on Tradgang beats a TV show anytime!!!

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: March 22, 2010, 07:43:00 PM »
If this story takes a month, it will be the best month I have had in a while! One post a day is fine, and don't skimp on the details! You make me remember teaching myself how to hunt. (still doing that, by the way.   :rolleyes: )

Killdeer~ Nostalgia ain't what it used to be...   ;)
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline jcar315

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: March 22, 2010, 08:25:00 PM »
Charlie, thanks again for sharing. Love these type and take as long as it takes.
Proud Dad to two awesome Kids and a very passionate pig hunter.

Right handed but left eye dominant.

Proud to be a Native TEXAN!!!!!

"TGMM  Family of the Bow"

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: March 22, 2010, 11:07:00 PM »
I have to smile a little when I think of my attempts to shoot my first deer ever.
I can remember the bow and arrows I was using to a tee. I still have the bow. A Ben Pearson Colt semi recurve (it would be called reflex/ deflex these days) 30# @ 28”.
The arrows were probably 28” long and were fine Acme cedar. No finish, to speak of, 2 gray hen feathers and a solid blue cock feather. There was a blue speed nock on one end and a Bear Razorhead on the other. Even then I knew that the broadhead had to be sharp and I’d done the best I could with a file and whetstone. They were at least sharp enough to cut my fingers with if I wasn’t careful.

They sat there on the side of the bow in a “Hush” bowquiver, which held four arrows and had no broadhead cover. Don’t know how many times I cut myself because of that. Nothing major… just enough to make you pay attention.

I watched the doe and fawns for a very long time when I noticed that they were paying attention in the direction the doe had come from. Out of the ivy strode a buck. Nothing special by record keeping standards but I knew he was going to get shot at if I got the chance.

Somehow between the knee bounce, arm shaking and heart pounding I got to my feet. Now I’d added an involuntary twitch in my right cheek. The whole group turned and walked my way as if on cue.

None paid any attention to my vibrating form up in that stand. Maybe my cover was that good or maybe they knew I was harmless. I have my suspicions but will leave that to your imagination.
As the buck approached I readied my bow.  The wooden arrow was banging away against the side of the sight window and I’m surprised I didn’t scare the deer away by the clicking noise alone.

I’d have to say that buck couldn’t have been more than fifteen yards when I released my first arrow. It may have been a lot closer than that! Along with what was going on with my legs, bringing the arrow to anchor was problematic what with the facial twitch and arm shake not making it very easy to get my hand and anchor point together. Finally the unsilenced bowstring twanged loudly and for an instant time stood still. The buck, not willing to just give himself up for the cause, turned inside out as the arrow passed through the void where he’d stood so placidly just a moment before.
As the arrow stuck in the ground he whipped his head around to stare at it. Getting a second arrow to the string at this point was very difficult. I somehow managed to hit everything in reach with it  except the nocking point.

Once again I sent the deadly missile on its way and once again I hit nothing but dirt. True to form the buck eyeballed that arrow just like the first, but this time he walked quickly another five yards before stopping. At that moment I’d have cried if I had had any control over my bodily functions at all.

Now he was looking around for the source of his distraction. I had the sense to duck down behind the low wall of pin oak as I readied yet a third arrow.
I doubt that it would be a surprise if I told you that I’d have been better off throwing that arrow. This deer was hip to my tricks by now and was at least improving his arrow ducking form.

The third time was not as charming for the buck as it could be and he walked purposely away from me. I sailed my last arrow over his back at twenty five yards and watched as he trotted out of my life forever.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: March 22, 2010, 11:13:00 PM »
The realism is a painful reminder of personal encounters with whitetails. You were shooting good - 4 for 4 into Mother Earth. Of course, you did have gravity on your side.

Offline Missouri CK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: March 22, 2010, 11:30:00 PM »
Good stuff Lamb!
Life ain't a dress rehearsal.

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: March 23, 2010, 06:58:00 AM »
Anxiously awaiting another episode....  :thumbsup:
"Being there was good enough..." Charlie Lamb reflecting on a hunt
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline dirtguy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: March 23, 2010, 07:11:00 AM »
:clapper:     :clapper:    :clapper:

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: March 23, 2010, 09:55:00 AM »
For Christmas that year I received a new bow. I still have it too. My folks had decided that I just might stick with archery and upped the sixty-five bucks for a little Bear Kodiak Magnum 42# @ 28”. I loved that bow more than anything and over the years that I shot it, we shared many firsts.
It was decided to spring it on me early as a surprise.

It was before daylight and I was getting ready to head out the door to deer hunt. Dad was getting ready for duck hunting. We’d finished breakfast and I was tying on my boots when he brought out the little Magnum. Of course I about fainted.
What a beauty!!
I guess it didn’t occur to Dad that a little practice with a new bow might be a good idea, but I wasn’t going to complain. I probably wouldn’t see a deer anyway.

When I walked out the door that morning the new bow had the killer quiver on it and a pair of elastic camo sleeves that everyone in those days used to hide the shiny limbs. It would be years before you could buy a bow with a dull finish and who wanted to paint a beautiful bow.
It had no silencers, no nocking point and I didn’t have a clue about the brace height. It would do just fine.
By the time I got the quiver and sleeves on the bow, dumped about a quart of Pete Rickard’s deer lure on my pants legs and finished my other preparations it was starting to get light outside. I can’t say that I was bummed about that.

I was wearing out that old tree stand. It was the only place I knew to hunt. I climbed up in it again that morning, but I’d learned that every time I sat there I wasn’t going to see deer.
As the full light of day came over the pin oak bottoms, I sat there admiring my new prize. I knew it needed a nocking point badly and I set about putting one on the string.

A loose thread was pulled from my jacket and that would do just fine. I began wrapping it meticulously around the string at what I had judged to be the right spot. Intent on my project I was started by the faint sound of rustling leaves. I raised my head quite casually to see a mature doe feeding just yards from my stand.

I guess that deep down I knew I didn’t have a snowballs chance of shooting this deer with the new bow. The shakes had started the instant I saw the doe so it was going to be a crapshoot regardless.
The shot was made, the deer ducked, the arrow stuck in the ground, the deer walked away… simple as that!

It took a while for the adrenaline surge to subside and when it did I noticed that the temporary nocking point I’d been working on was gone. No problem. I’d surely find more loose threads in that old camo jacket to peel off. And that’s what I did.
In about three wraps of the thread on the string I was again hearing leaves rustling. Not thinking much of it (clueless) I looked up and received another overdose of adrenaline. It was another deer and a buck to boot!

Following the procedure that I was so used to by now I readied the arrow. I didn’t do any better on this animal than I had the doe. Once again I sat there alone in the tree vibrating on the black metal bucket.
That would be it for the first morning with the Magnum. But the adventure with that little bow was just beginning.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline bohuntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: March 23, 2010, 10:04:00 AM »
Very cool story Charlie!!! Looking forward to hearing the rest of it unfold!!!   :coffee:
To me, the ultimate challenge in bowhunting is not how far away you can succesfully make a killing shot but rather how close you can get to the animal before shooting.

Offline bkbk12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: March 23, 2010, 10:30:00 AM »
Thats great.

Offline lt-m-grow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: March 23, 2010, 11:40:00 AM »
Interesting.  Folks like to talk about the "impatience of youth".  And yet the basis of this great story is patience.  Huh?

Great stories and life lessons...Thanks Charlie

Offline BMN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: March 23, 2010, 02:24:00 PM »
Great stuff Charlie!   :campfire:
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society
Prairie Traditional Archers
TGMM Family of the Bow

The most frightening thing you are likely to encounter in nature is yourself.

Offline Mike Gerardi

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: March 23, 2010, 03:32:00 PM »
:thumbsup:

Offline knife river

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: March 23, 2010, 03:51:00 PM »
Charlie, if this story was in a book, I'd happily plunk down some hard cash to read it.  I think you're giving us all a wonderful gift of your stories and shorting yourself in the meantime.  Maybe you're not into the whole financial renumeration scene, but the stories are that good.  Write a book, dude!     :readit:      :wavey:
TGMM Family of the Bow

"Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity."
  Martin Luther King, Jr.

Offline Bill M.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: March 23, 2010, 03:55:00 PM »
and we wait some more  :banghead:    :goldtooth:

Offline Thumper Dunker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: March 23, 2010, 04:12:00 PM »
Just leave us hanging at a good part.  Great story.
You can hop but you can't hide.
If it was not for rabbits I would never get a buck.
Yip yipahooooo yipyipyip.

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: March 23, 2010, 04:41:00 PM »
So this is what, 1962?
Just trying to picture the K-Mag. Love those bows, every time I shoot mine, I wonder why I buy all the others.

Glad you are telling this story, it makes all us fumblers out here feel a little better.   :D
Killdeer   :campfire:    :coffee:
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline jcar315

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: March 23, 2010, 05:12:00 PM »
Great to read this 1st thing today after work. Thanks again.
Proud Dad to two awesome Kids and a very passionate pig hunter.

Right handed but left eye dominant.

Proud to be a Native TEXAN!!!!!

"TGMM  Family of the Bow"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©