3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Just got my first deer..... again!!  (Read 1452 times)

Offline wildgame

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Just got my first deer..... again!!
« Reply #60 on: March 23, 2010, 05:39:00 PM »
great story so far would love to hear more soon!!!!  :campfire:
"go afield with good attitude,and with respect for the wildlife you hunt, and the forest and fields in which you walk" -Fred Bear

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #61 on: March 23, 2010, 08:32:00 PM »
Killy... I got the old KMag out today and took a picture or three just for you. Here they are.

Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #62 on: March 23, 2010, 08:34:00 PM »
After supper I'll get on with the tellin. Thanks for the patience everyone.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Bonebuster

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #63 on: March 23, 2010, 08:34:00 PM »
Thanks for taking us along Charlie.

Live it up!!!

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #64 on: March 23, 2010, 08:47:00 PM »
To cool and with the arrow that started this thread  :clapper:    :goldtooth:  I'm loving this.

Tracy
You really haven't hunted the old fashion way until you've done it from one of these Indian houses.(The Tipi) "Glenn ST. Charles"

Offline Winterhawk1960

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #65 on: March 23, 2010, 09:59:00 PM »
:clapper:    :clapper:    :clapper:  

Excellent story sir !!!!! It has caused a flood of memories for me. If you would ever consider writing a book, I'd pay my deposit NOW.

I love the small details that you recall. PLEASE continue.

Winterhawk1960
What if you woke up tomorrow, with only what you thanked God for today ???

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #66 on: March 23, 2010, 10:22:00 PM »
The second year, by way of odd jobs, I’d saved the money for a dozen Herter’s, aluminum shafts. I can remember scrubbing and scrubbing them with Ajax to get them clean enough that the feathers would stick. Everyone who shot aluminum in those days before anodizing did. The aluminum oxidized so fast that you had to be right there with your fletching gear or at the very least dip them with a finish…Bohning finishes were designed with this in mind.

I’d taken my little Bear bow down to Earl Hoyt’s pro shop to have a bowquiver mounted on it. I just had to have a Bear four arrow screw on quiver. That was what Fred used and I wanted one. I was also tired of cutting myself on my own broadheads.
It was Owen Jeffries who took my bow into the shop for the installation. My little bow was in good hands.
I can remember how hurt I’d been when I discovered that not only did the bowquiver require drilling the bow for a bushing (I’d expected that) but also there were two little studs that dug into the wood of the handle.

So that first morning of my second year bowhunting I headed out to the woods confidently with my prized armament in hand. New arrows, new bow, new attitude!  I also had a huge flashlight and a Thermos of something to drink. I’d learned that the big flashlight when employed like an aircraft search light worked pretty good for keeping monsters at bay.

The morning had been pretty uneventful and by 9 a.m. I was ready to get down and go for breakfast. With no haul rope for my bow and equipment it took several trips up and down the homemade ladder before I was ready to head out.

Holding all my gear as high as I could I walked the hundred yards out to the trail road through shoulder high poison ivy. I tried not to think about how allergic I was to the stuff and just did my best to avoid contact.
Finally I made the two track right where it crossed a culvert between two sloughs.

I was busy getting my gear arranged so I could more easily continue when I happened to look off into the brush beside the trail. There, not 15 yards away, stood four doe deer looking at me.
I stood frozen not knowing what to do. My hands were full and all of my arrows were in my bowquiver.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #67 on: March 23, 2010, 10:24:00 PM »
I'll be back first thing in the morning to finish this up.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline knife river

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #68 on: March 23, 2010, 11:10:00 PM »
Aaaaarghhh.....  We've been Lamb-oed!    :knothead:    :knothead:    :knothead:
TGMM Family of the Bow

"Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity."
  Martin Luther King, Jr.

Offline twostrings

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #69 on: March 23, 2010, 11:34:00 PM »
Very cool, thanks for sharing.

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
« Reply #70 on: March 23, 2010, 11:48:00 PM »
I have been silently lurking during the telling of this story and I'm ready for the outcome of that little arrow.   :D  Can't even imagine the thrill you must have felt when you found it again.   :thumbsup:  Stay safe Charlie!
Desert Shield/Storm, Somalia and IOF Veteran
"The Mountains are calling and, I must go!" John Muir

Offline Bowspirit

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #71 on: March 23, 2010, 11:49:00 PM »
Loving every sentence!!!    :thumbsup:
“I read somewhere of how important it is in life, not necessarily to be strong, but to feel strong. To measure yourself at least once.”
                -Alexander Supertramp

"Shoot this for me."
                -Chuck Nelson

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #72 on: March 24, 2010, 08:11:00 AM »
With no options whatsoever, I began slowly setting my gear down on the trail. The whole time I ignored the deer that were still watching as if mesmerized by my stupidity.

Finally with my hands empty I got an arrow out of the quiver and turned slowly toward the deer. To my amazement they were still just standing there.
What happened next was and still is a mystery to me.
I remember nothing of the shot once I put pressure on the string and started my draw.

My next conscious observation was the hind end of those deer disappearing into the poison ivy.

It’s hard to tell how long I stood there. It’s even harder to describe the emotions I was feeling. Doubt, joy, confusion, pride, was all there with the emphasis falling mainly on doubt and confusion.
I felt like I’d just shot a deer with my bow, but had no way of knowing whether I had or not. I decided that the best thing to do was to go and get my buddy since my Dad was out on the river fixing up the duck blind for the coming season.
Andy and I would come back and check it out. I wasn’t sure just how we’d do that, but I’d worry about that when we got back to the culvert.

It seemed to take forever to get back to the cabins. My buddy Andy was just rolling out of bed when I came in to his folks cabin. Trying to somehow seem cool I relayed the story and how I was sure I’d hit the deer.
Andy’s grandfather was sitting at the kitchen table as I told my story and seemed pretty skeptical about the whole thing and said so. Nope, didn’t happen in HIS mind.

Since it was apparent there would be no adult help in this matter, Andy and I returned to the woods alone.
I figured we would go over to where the deer had been standing and look for blood or something.

When we arrived at the spot the first thing I noticed was something bright red off in the brush by where the deer had been when I shot. My heart skipped a beat. Could it be? I didn’t even dare to hope.
How could I have not seen that red beacon after the shot?  Hadn’t I looked things over quite well?  Nothing my eyes were telling me was making any sense.

I soon was standing by what turned out to be my arrow standing straight up in the brush. The white fletch and cap was soaked in bright red bubbly blood. I wasn’t sure what that meant, but it looked good enough to me.

I struck out in the direction the doe had run. There was no apparent blood along the path she had taken and that disturbed me a little. I kept walking and soon was relieved to find a big splash of blood in the leaves and a little beyond that more.

We’d barely traveled 50 yards from the sight of the shot when ahead I saw the brown-rimmed white behind of my doe. She was down for the count.  As I rushed to her side I could see the broadhead hole in her side right where I’d read that everyone shot them.
Rolling her over I found the same thing on the other side. The arrow out of that little bow had passed through without hesitation.

Again the emotions flooded through my soul. I felt like I’d done something wrong on the one hand and was a little sad about it. On the other hand I was very proud and happy knowing that this was the way of things in nature.  As time would pass I’d learn that those feelings were deeply rooted in my psyche and would always be present at these personal moments. And that’s just fine with me.
Almost unable to contain ourselves and at a total loss as to what to do next, Andy and I drug the doe to the trail road. We’d leave her there while we went and got someone with a car. I wiped the back of my hand in the bloody wound for proof should we not be believed back at the cabin.

Even with the proof on my hand we had to do a little talking to get the help we needed. It just didn’t seem possible to any of the adults there that I could have killed a deer with a bow and arrow, but soon we were back at the deer and loading her in the back of Andy’s grandfathers, Chevy station wagon.  

There was a big old pecan tree down by the river where the old man had hung his big hoop nets when he’d been a commercial fisherman. We’d do the field dressing there and put the offal in a number 2 wash tub.

As we worked to hang the deer, a crowd started to gather. I told the story over and over and each telling felt as good as the first time. Somewhere in the middle of the third or fourth telling I heard the hum of an outboard motor coming up the river from the direction of Dad’s duck blind. It was Dad and his buddy.

The look on Dad’s face was worth more than a million bucks to me that morning. He was almost speechless and I knew he too was full of pride and emotion. He didn’t know anything about deer hunting, but he knew this was pretty cool stuff and so did I.

The taking of that doe made the local papers and for a little while I got my time in the limelight. My local club, the St. Louis Bowhunters, had an awards banquet each year for those in the club who’d taken deer with their bows. There were only 3 of us that year. Earl Hoyt Jr., a guy named Don Fallon and myself.

The deer was processed and packaged and consumed with relish. The hide was tanned with the hair on and adorns the wall of my living room to this day. The front feet were preserved as hangers for a gun rack or coat hooks.

None of us knew at that time the impact that that deer would have on my life and I thank God for that doe. It’s been a great trip.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline knife river

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #73 on: March 24, 2010, 08:27:00 AM »
:clapper:    :clapper:    :clapper:
TGMM Family of the Bow

"Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity."
  Martin Luther King, Jr.

Offline Rick Butler

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #74 on: March 24, 2010, 08:32:00 AM »
Great story Mr. Lamb!
"I went to the woods because I wanted to live deliberately. To front only the essential facts of life and see if I could not learn what it had to teach and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived"- Thoreau
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline Kip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #75 on: March 24, 2010, 08:35:00 AM »
Charlie  great read.I killed my first deer in 1976 with a K-mag and have loved it since.You brought back some memories for me.Thanks Kip

Offline BMN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #76 on: March 24, 2010, 09:04:00 AM »
Great story Charlie. It sounds like this was also the beginning for the master story teller. Thanks for sharing.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society
Prairie Traditional Archers
TGMM Family of the Bow

The most frightening thing you are likely to encounter in nature is yourself.

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #77 on: March 24, 2010, 09:45:00 AM »
The details, the emotions, the truth shine through your words. I had a flash of that story when I asked about that hide on your wall last time I visited. You just said, "First deer" but I felt the depth of it. Thanks for the story Charlie.

Offline rabbitman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #78 on: March 24, 2010, 10:09:00 AM »
Thanks Charlie...  :thumbsup:

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #79 on: March 24, 2010, 10:12:00 AM »
Charlie, Charlie, Charlie....if you ever decide to write the book, I'll find the financing. Simple as that. Mighty fine story and finely told.    :readit:
"Being there was good enough..." Charlie Lamb reflecting on a hunt
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©