3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: mount on bow quivers  (Read 310 times)

Offline jackdaw

• Trad Bowhunter
mount on bow quivers
« on: March 21, 2010, 09:02:00 PM »
Here's a question for you guys. I was going to purchase a Selway "slide on" quiver for my new bow last year and was told by the bowyer to "NEVER" use one of those as it creates way too much stress on the bow limbs and could cause my bow to ,(and I quote), blow up!!!!!! I've certainly seen these in usage by other bow shooters with I suspect no problem, but this bowyer,(a WELL KNOWN BOW MAKER), insists that I not even consider using one?????I've recently recieved another new bow, this time from Ed Holcomb, and he claimed that he's never had a problem with one??? What are your thoughts on this???? Anyone have experience good or bad here???I'm perplexed...let me know...many thanks...John
John Getz:........... Time flies like an arrow, Fruit flies like bananas.
Ed HOLCOMB 59' KODIAK 51#
Ed HOLCOMB 59' KODIAK 47#
67'1/2  BEAR SUPER K  44#
WILSON BROTHERS BLACK WIDOW 60" 45#
LONGRIVER ELK 62" LONGBOW 53#
1967 WING 62" SLIMLINE 43#

Offline WESTBROOK

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: mount on bow quivers
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2010, 09:39:00 PM »
Shouldnt be a problem as long as its not on the working part of the limb (any part that is bending).

Eric

Offline Mike Gerardi

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2010, 09:42:00 PM »
John Dill
Anneewakee Archery
2039 Porter Road
Greenville, NC 27834

252-227-2114
[email protected]

Best bow quivers made. IMHO.

Offline amar911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2010, 01:46:00 AM »
Eagle's Flight Archery is my preference. I have other EFA models, but the Totem is a great addition which turns the quiver into a connected unit that can be removed with the arrows inserted.  http://www.eaglesflightarchery.com/quivers.htm

Allan
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Mack_S

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2010, 12:02:00 PM »
I've used the slide on bow quiver and I'm not a huge fan...only because mine had a tendency to slip a bit.  Never to the point of interfering with a shot while hunting.  I only seemed to notice it when shooting at the range.  It was enough of a probelm for me to switch to a Great Northern which mounts under the limb bolts on my take down recurves.  Hope this helps.

-Mack
-Mack

Offline Ssamac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2010, 03:43:00 PM »
Other than feeling a bit heavier than others it's a quality quiver and one of the most stable and easy to use. Can't see why it would be a problem, but if it will void a warranty I would not use it.

sam

Offline BowZen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2010, 03:46:00 PM »
Look at the Thunderhorn Quivers. very nice.
Karim

Offline robtattoo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2010, 03:47:00 PM »
Originally posted by Ssamac:
 Can't see why it would be a problem, but if it will void a warranty I would not use it.

sam
If a bow quiver voids your bow's warranty, I'd use a different bowyer!   "[dntthnk]"
"I came into this world, kicking, screaming & covered in someone else's blood. I have no problem going out the same way"

PBS & TBT Member

>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Offline Smallwood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2010, 04:27:00 PM »
I have never heard of a bow mounted quiver causing a bow to blow up or break.
I think he is just opinionated, as most of us are. I would take what he says with a grain of salt.

Offline bushytail

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2010, 04:59:00 PM »
The slide on quiver I had was nice.But when you shoot for awhile,it would slide away from the riser a little.Then the arrows were a little loose and made noise when I shot.That`s how I new the quiver was slideing on the bow.But for hunting when you don`t shoot much,they`re great.
Harold Wetzler

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2010, 05:08:00 PM »
Used slide-on Selway on my LB's sliding way down towards the handle w/o problems. Once used to shooting with it, you must (re)adjust to shoot w/o it. Prefer to NOT be dependent on anything peripheral on my bow. KISS rules!
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline Jason R. Wesbrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2010, 05:46:00 PM »
I've tried a lot of different slide-on bow quivers over the years, and really haven't found one that would stay put or that I liked. That being said, I can't for the life of me imagine how using one would cause a bow to blow up. Then again, I've heard of one bowyer who claims that flemish strings will cause his longbow limbs to twist, so I suppose nothing much would surprise me anymore.

Offline oddan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2010, 09:10:00 PM »
When they are not down on the fade outs far enough they will make a horizontal line across the glass. I had a Shrew that was damaged like this. I would not use one anymor myself.
Out Door Dan

Offline bofish-IL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2010, 09:39:00 PM »
I shot a brand name slide on quiver on my PLV Black Widow. Everyone commented on how much more quite my longbow was than theirs. They also stated mine seem to be much slower than theirs.

One friend watched as I shot and told me my limbs were not flexing right. Like others stated above, the quiver was not staying in place and was not allowing the limbs to function right.

I took the quiver off and could not believe the difference in the bow.  Just my experience..
PBS  Member

Offline kadbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2010, 08:09:00 AM »
That is all I have ever used, never had a problem.  I use the EFA strap on now, doesn't move at all.
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
Colorado Bowhunters Association
Grand Mesa Bowmen
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline bowslinger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2010, 12:52:00 AM »
I tried a slide on quiver on a recurve.  I liked the convenience, but ended have to go to a weaker spined arrow when I mounted the quiver on the bow.  It took me a little time to figure that out, since I thought it was just the change to  a bow mounted-quiver.  I may have been borderline on arrow spine to start.

Tried moving the quiver up and down a little but did not notice much difference.  I oocasionally hunt in dry areas with a lot of windlown, fine-grained material.  The slide-on quiver did abrade the finish a little.  Switched to a GFA quiver, and will probably never use a bow-mounted quiver again.
Hunting is the only sport where one side doesn't know it's playing - John Madden

Offline Kenneth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2010, 12:55:00 AM »
Originally posted by Arrow k9:
John Dill
Anneewakee Archery
2039 Porter Road
Greenville, NC 27834

252-227-2114
[email protected]

Best bow quivers made. IMHO.
:thumbsup:    :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:    Yep!!  Can't go wrong with one of John's quivers.
Chasing my kids and my degree for now but come next fall the critters better look out.  ;)

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2010, 08:54:00 AM »
Amen Brother!! THAT will be my Next Bow Quiver!! The one i use to Hunt with is the Eagles Flight. Some LOVE Bow Quivers, Some HATE them. Find one you want to Use, and use it. then report what YOU think of them, ok?
 People say, "It Throws The Bow Balance Off", Etc. I havent eperienced this Problem myself. I got the 4 Arrow Bow Quiver, and to be Honest, I can hardly tell its even on my bow. Its ALL a Matter of Personal Choice My Friend!!
 Never heard it would make a Bow "Blow Up".....Thats  New One!
"Carpe Cedar" Seize the Arrow!
"Life doesn't get Simpler; it gets Shorter and Turns in Smaller Circles." Dean Torges
"Faith is to Prayer what the Feather is to the Arrow" Thomas Morrow
"Ah Think They Should Outlaw Them Thar Crossbows" A Hunting Pal

Offline 2fletch

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2010, 11:39:00 AM »
There is no one quiver that pleases everyone. Some people want to carry 6-8 arrows in a quiver on the bow. That's okay but you'd better tune the bow with the quiver on and then not take it off. I prefer, as many of you, a quiver that can be installed, or removed easily, with no change in how the bow shoots. Some of us don't want to look like Rambo with a lot of extra stuff on the bow. Quality can be uncomplicated. That's the traditional way.

Offline Shape Shifter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2010, 02:18:00 PM »
I never had a problem with Selway quivers. Many of my bows seem a lot quieter with them on. Some guys like the added weight and some don't. I tend to shoot better with them on then off.
"Effort only fully releases its rewards after a person refuses to quit"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©