3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: IS MEXICO SAFE???  (Read 714 times)

Offline Big Ed

• Trad Bowhunter
IS MEXICO SAFE???
« on: March 22, 2010, 10:23:00 AM »
Looking for some Hunting/bowfishing opputunities. Bill Langer and his father and myself and Tom Phillips are looking for a place to do some filming. We had a hunt set-up in Mexico but due to all the safety issues we would prefer to stay in the states. Our flights are booked for April 20-25 and are non-refundable. Any help would be greatly appreciated, Thank you, Ed Schlimme
"Get kids involved in the outdoors"

Offline Irish

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: IS MEXICO SAFE???
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2010, 12:33:00 PM »
Call Curtis at 7th Age
Mel Riley

Offline Bill Turner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2010, 01:38:00 PM »
As "Irish" suggested contact 7th Age(Curtis Keller). If he can't help you, he will probably know someone who can. Good luck.

Offline Big Ed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2010, 02:21:00 PM »
Thanks I'll give him a shout. Please keep the info coming.

Offline Lefty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2010, 02:26:00 PM »
You could also check with Kent Ostrem of Mahaska bows.  He runs a hunt operation down in SW Texas.  I have never hunted with him, but have talked with him before.  He used to live here in Iowa.  Heck of a nice guy and makes a great bow.

Offline Big Ed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2010, 05:11:00 PM »
ttt

Offline Big Ed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2010, 08:12:00 PM »
TRY AGAIN

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2010, 08:36:00 PM »
So what happened in Mexico?
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2010, 08:44:00 PM »
The drug wars and illegal people trade along the border can be a bit risky at times. I know some folks that went down that way on business and were told to be careful when out and about. I don't blame you for being a bit concerned. Just do your homework before you go.Remember the only stupid question is the one you don't ask!!!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline John3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2010, 08:49:00 PM »
They are killing American citizens...  Do not go to Mexico and stay away from El Paso. It is all drug money driven.  

I hunted Javelina with Kent last year only because we stayed on our side of the Rio Grande.  We were close enough to look over the river into Mexico and close enough that illegals are sighted quite often. We all were carring pistols while hunting Javelina.  I did see our Border Patrol officers twice way out in the desert from any roads...
"There is no excellence in Archery without great labor".  Maurice Thompson 1879

Professional Bowhunters Society--Regular Member
United Bowhunters of Missouri
Compton Life Member #333

Offline Looper

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2010, 08:49:00 PM »
I think they're talking about the increases in drug-related violence.  It's reached epidemic proportions in some areas.  There are definitely some towns you want to avoid.

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/tw/tw_mexico.html

If you were going to stay and hunt on a ranch, I think you'd be fine.  It probably would be wise to read up on improving your situational awareness.  I don't think you need to be paranoid, but you do need to be more observant than you might normally be in the US.

If you hire a guide, they should be able to answer any of your questions.

Offline jcar315

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2010, 09:01:00 PM »
As someone who is from and has hunted many times in South Texas I would agree that being careful and properly prepared is a great idea. Going into Mexico was never high on my fun things to do list but now I would stay out.

If hunting "back country" type of ranches I would always carry my cell phone (with local law enforcement and Border Patrol #'s programmed into it) and I would stronly suggest considering a sidearm. When hunting in these areas you just never know who you will run into and when. My family owns land outside of Falfurrias TX in Brooks County and we have had too many encounters with illegals there.

Talk to the "guide" or Ranch owner where you are considering hunting etc. Ask them about potential problems or what to do protocol. My experience is that if the illegals know that an area is being used quite a bit they will tend to stay away but not always. Drug smugglers are much different that "regular" illegals just trying to get from point A to point B.

TX is a great place and hunting there is just fantastic! If I had the opportunity to go I would. Just be prepared.
Proud Dad to two awesome Kids and a very passionate pig hunter.

Right handed but left eye dominant.

Proud to be a Native TEXAN!!!!!

"TGMM  Family of the Bow"

Offline bofish-IL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2010, 09:21:00 PM »
One of my friends went to Mexico a couple years ago on a deer hunt. He was successful in getting a deer. Everything went fine until the Border Patrol on the Mexican side. They took his bags in one room and asked him to step into another room to answer a few questions.

When he went to go he noticed his new digital camera and a few other things missing from his bag. He brought this fact up and they told him he was mistaken and should leave.
PBS  Member

Offline Ground Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2010, 09:22:00 PM »
I am a LEO on the Tex/Mex border.  I would not recommend travel to Mexico.  H

Offline Bill Kissner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2010, 09:49:00 PM »
We have traveled to Mexico every year for the last 15 with with our camper and have met nothing but friendly people. Us Americans could learn a lot from them concerning hospitality. I feel safer in Mexico than in most major US cities. That being saId, I would avoid large Mexican cities near the border. That is where the most trouble is.
Time spent alone in the woods puts you closer to God.

"Can't" never accomplished anything.

Offline gatorgar

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2010, 10:02:00 PM »
What part of Mexico are you headed to Big Ed.  I live on the border and have friends and family in the worst hit areas so I may be able to give you more info in a PM
Sarrel's BlueRidge Takedown Longbow 3pc
62" 53#@28"
Easton XX75 400   250gr up front
Have you noticed that the times you don't get nothing while hunting, are usually the most fun you've ever had.

Offline azhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2010, 10:06:00 PM »
Send Gerardo a PM he lives in Mexico and could advise you. Just type Gerardo in the directory that is his handle.

Offline FrankM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2010, 10:14:00 PM »
I want to echo what is said here. I live by the border and have friends on both sides. Stay away from the border. Always carry some extra cash just in case the cops ask you to pay the fine "right there". Keep this cash separate from the rest of your money so they don't see it. And stay only in the tourist areas unless you have locals with you. If you're driving, see about "Mexican insurance". American insurance is no good there. You can buy it for one day, a week, whatever. The cops will want to see it. If you have a well-paid hunt set up, you'll probably be a lot safer than those who drive or walk there. But, I would recommend against it if you can afford to lose the cash.

Offline Big Ed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2010, 10:19:00 PM »
Thanks to all.Keep it coming!!!

Offline PAPA BEAR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2010, 10:28:00 PM »
this is just ridiculous...i hate people that think they can just do what they want to whomever they want to.i'd be in big trouble in old mexico.  :D    :bigsmyl:    :D
IT'S NEVER WRONG TO DO WHATS RIGHT AND NEVER RIGHT TO DO WHATS WRONG.....LOU HOLTZ

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©