3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: IS MEXICO SAFE???  (Read 713 times)

Offline Gerardo

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: IS MEXICO SAFE???
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2010, 10:33:00 PM »
The problem is between two different drug cartels that are fighting for control , and our Military is fighting to end with their business, there has been some fighting but it is always between them and the citizens rarelly get involved or hurt.

That being said I live in Monterrey a big industrial and developed city and we have never had this kind of problems and now we are having them in the streets where they fight and sometimes some business or property gets damaged.

Most of our hunting land is in ranches close to the border, and I will personally keep away from hunting and traveling to remote places. There is a war going on and you don't want to be mistaken with someone or be involved in the middle of something.

I love my country my people and I am very proud of being a Mexican citizen and it hurts to say this but it is safer to hunt in another place.

If you come to the city I can drive you to private ranches close by which is safer, but for now it is better to hunt in the states.

Gatorgar Alex, and Jorge Coon have a place in Zapata Tx, for Javalina, maybe they can help you out with your hunting trip
Gerardo Rodriguez

Offline Spurs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2010, 10:34:00 PM »
I am planning a turkey hunt to Texas.  Are there areas in Texas that are dangerous as well?
I like Spurs

Morrison Mini ILF copperhead skinned
Morrison Shawnee copperhead skinned

Offline Bowferd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2010, 10:47:00 PM »
Gerardo, I thank you for your integrity.
I believe I like you Mr. Rodriguez
Been There, Done That, Still Plowin.
Cane and Magnolia tend to make good arrow.
Hike naked in the backwoods.

Offline Ground Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2010, 10:57:00 PM »
Gerardo

My best wishes to you and your Country!  H

Offline BlackDog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2010, 11:02:00 PM »
To answer the question about going into Mexico....no way! I have heard the stories and know several people that hunt/hunted there. No animal is worth the risk, for me anyway.
   As far as hunting ranches in south texas, I would not go without a sidearm.

Offline Gordy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2010, 11:09:00 PM »
Hard to believe it's come to this.  Why anyone would even consider this as a vacation or adventure/hunting trip is beyond me... please forgive my not understanding.

Gerardo....hang in there pal.     :campfire:    

W. T. H. ?     :(
In the immortal words of Jean Paul Sartre, 'Au revoir, gopher'.

Offline highpoint forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2010, 11:36:00 PM »
You guys have got to be kidding. If you are hunting in South Texas NOBODY is going to see you much less molest/kill you. If you are in the bush, just stay put and let anyone pass if they come within range.

Most of the "traffic" is during the night anyway. If you go looking for trouble you'll find it. Who is saying that Texas is now "unsafe"? That is hilarious. South Texas is sparsely populated, as it is.

You guys watch too much Fear TV, er I mean, Fox TV.
Black Widow PSAX Bocote 57# @28, 58 AMO
Black Widow PLX Tiger Myrtle 60# @28, 64 AMO
J.D. Berry Osage Argos 60# @28, 66 AMO

Offline Stripstrike1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2010, 08:15:00 AM »
I made an annual trip to the Lake Guerro area for a little RR and some white-wing hunting and no longer go because its just not worth the risk.  One hunting partner just lost his car, wallet, and laptop with a glock pointed at his head just a few blocks from a police station while there on business.  Its not just drug carlel violence there its total  lawlessness.
"I wish someone would have introduced me to this sport 20 years ago."

Offline Renaissance Man

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2010, 08:25:00 AM »
Such a beautiful country, some great people, what a shame.
One of my friends, an older gent used to go there for the bird hunting for years.
The last time was three years ago I believe. Said he will never go back, had seen to many close encounters with armed and dangerous people doing what the hell they felt like to whomever and said the cops, especially away from the major tourist areas were as bad as the gang bangers.

Offline Jon Stewart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2010, 08:53:00 AM »
NOPE. Do not enter. Way too many murders down there.

There have been over 400 murders in Juarez alone that past couple of years.  We used to go to Mexico to hunt for arrowheads on the desert.  Not anymore.  It just ain't  worth the chance you have to take.

Offline Mint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: March 23, 2010, 09:14:00 AM »
It's sad to see what drugs and corruption can do to a country. I feel for you Gerardo, my wife is experiencing the same thing since she is from Venezuela and all her family is there. Stay safe and hopefully the future will bring peace.
The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.

Samuel Adams

NYB Life Member
NRA Life Member

Offline easyup

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: March 23, 2010, 10:16:00 AM »
First someone suggested a gun which will get you in, I suspect, the biggest trouble of your life!  I have hunted deer three times in Mexico all not far from Hermosillo so we could take the short flight in which is much safer.  Local transport was by the ranchers.  These ranchers have massive tracks of land which have not been hunted unless they let a cowboy take a deer.  Monster mule deer which they rifle hunt off of high rack vehicle.  To me like shooting between the fence rails.  However the giant Mulies can be hunted spot and stalk in the thick stuff.  I never got close to the big boys (too many does standing guard and swirling desert floor winds) but did get a reasonable coues deer by pure luck.
It is now much too dangerous with the violence and corruption spreading.  It is not inconceivable that if the Government does not make progress soon Mexico could end up a failed state.  A terrible outcome for a great people.

Offline Pon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: March 23, 2010, 10:34:00 AM »
:(   sad but mostly true
Treadway Black Forest 54" 53#@28

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: March 23, 2010, 10:54:00 AM »
People still hunt Africa, Iran and Pakistan to name a few hairy countries. Its all about risk and your Big Ed not Lucky Ed. Stay domestic pal, I dont want anything nasty happening to Bill, Dick and you.Too bad when 99.9% of Mexicans are the salt of the earth but drugs and greed can blow a hole in anything good.

Offline hunt it

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: March 23, 2010, 11:06:00 AM »
If your filming for 60 minutes  go for it! Myself, I'd much rather tiptoe through the Taipans or Mambas than the Cartel. With it's current state of the drug war, I'd stay well away from Mehico. How could you possibly have a good time looking over your shoulder all the time.
hunt it

Offline Jeff Strubberg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: March 23, 2010, 11:24:00 AM »
We've made two trips to Mexico in the last two years and have had, or seen, zero problems.  It's worth saying that 99% of the troubles are in northern Mexico.  We've been to the Puerta Vallarta area twice and plan to go to Mazatlan this winter.
"Teach him horsemanship and archery, and teach him to despise all lies"          -Herodotus

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: March 23, 2010, 12:08:00 PM »
19,000 dead, 2,500 just last month....these are the stats I heard on t.v.  Just this month there was a family of 3 that was in the wrong place at the wrong time...parents killed, child released.  Not worth the risk.....
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline bayoulongbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: March 23, 2010, 12:10:00 PM »
here isn the 411, more Americans have be kidnaped , robbed , beaten , shot , killed than ever before , more good news you cant arm youself either...NOPE!!!!!!!not goin risk it...the problem is everyone is one the take in Mexico, its a way of life down there, dont get me wrong I love the good people ,but its drug war and its spreading , if you go in armed you my end up in Mex jail and you my never get out...I know some sad true stories that would break your heart , just in the wromng place wrong time...
"If you're living your life as if there is no GOD, you had  better be right!"

Offline Gerardo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: March 23, 2010, 01:44:00 PM »
Mexico is a great country and people are generous and helpful, I have travelled to many countries and the hospitality you will recieve from Mexicans is great.

For hunting I really recomend not to go to Guerrero , drug cartels often operate in ranches and remote places, and close to the border, remeber that they make their money from selling to the US, there is not a big market for drugs in Mexico.

but it is the same as in some cities in the states, keep out of bad neighborhoods, don`t go to risky places at night, don`t pick a fight, those are basic world wide rules, some people that have been in trouble are sometimes part of the problem,

thanks for your comments , hope I can help the gang and if someone needs help here be sure to contact me
Gerardo Rodriguez

Offline Jon Stewart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: March 23, 2010, 01:51:00 PM »
Gerardo.  When hunting for arrowheads in  Mexico  we were always treated with courtesy and respect.  And likewise we treated our Mexican friends the same.  We were never charged a fee by the ranchers to roam around but always brought gifts to thank them for their hospitality.

It is a shame that the world is in the condition it is in with drugs and corruption.

Be safe.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©