3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: 2 Blade kills  (Read 449 times)

Offline wisconsinteacher

• Trad Bowhunter
2 Blade kills
« on: March 22, 2010, 01:57:00 PM »
I have some Magnus 125 gr/2 blade screw in heads and for some reason, I have a feeling that they will not kill deer and leave a blood trail like a 3 blade or 4 blade.  So I want to know if I should replace my 2 blade heads with 3 or 4 blade heads or will my 2 bladers work?  I am shooting a 45# recurve.  Thanks.

Online Ken Taylor

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 2 Blade kills
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2010, 02:05:00 PM »
Your 2 blades are fine, especially with a 45# bow.

Just make sure they are extremely sharp (as all broadheads should be).
May your next adventure lighten your heart, test your spirit, and nourish your soul.

Offline buckracks7

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2010, 02:09:00 PM »
I think it's best that you just test for yourself and see. I'm sure the 2 blades will kill just fine as long as you can sharpen them as well as the 3 or 4 blades. Also, shoot what flys best.
If it's in your way, move it.

Offline wisconsinteacher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2010, 02:10:00 PM »
I will be hunting white-tails.

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2010, 02:14:00 PM »
Shoot 2-blades only mostly 125gr Bears with excellent penetration & recovery results for 32 years. Razor sharp, in the wicket, with enough propulsion works regardless of BH. Much rather have a complete passthrough for better bloodtrail; but, that isn't always true. Several previous threads talk of passthroughs w/o bloodtrail using different heads. Use what you are confident; but, keep it sharp.
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Online cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2010, 02:14:00 PM »
Arrow placement is the key for kill.Milions of games are been killed with sharp 2bl BH,much bigger than a thin skinned deer.make a search here and you'll find tons of posts about BH design and penetration.
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline ARCHER2

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2010, 02:15:00 PM »
Nope! They ain't gonna work. Send them to me and I'll put them in their proper place, on my arrows! Lol.......just kidd'in brother. I don't think you'll have any problems.
                               Shoot Straight!
                                    Charlie
But they that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength:they shall mount up with wings as eagles:they shall run and not be weary:and they shall walk and not faint......Isaiah 40;31

"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline Horner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2010, 02:20:00 PM »
Both of my traditional deer have hit the dirt because of the Magnus 125, that you are talking about.  You hit them in the vitals with that head and they are dead....... PERIOD.
What would you attempt to do, if you knew you could not fail?

Never leave the one you love, for the one you like.

Offline Pops

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2010, 02:21:00 PM »
I have used 2 blades for years, pick a spot
and let'em fly.

Online Tom

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2010, 02:25:00 PM »
I too have used them for many years and if I do my part correctly they shine as well. Have killed many deer and various critters with Zwickey Eskimos and Deltas, hold a good edge and leave a fine blood trail with pass throughs.
The essence of the hunt for me is to enter nature and observe+ return safely occasionally with the gift of a life taken.

Offline Ground Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2010, 03:12:00 PM »
Well hunters have been using them for about 10,000 years.  So, if they don't work, a lot of people missed that memo.  H

Offline 3Feathers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2010, 03:49:00 PM »
Keep them sharp,put them in the boilerroom,drag home your deer!!!!!!Thats all I use Mag-1s scary sharp.       Aimsmall  Shootstraight
HH Cheetah 66in. 48lb at 25in.
HH HalfBreed 66in. 57lb. at 27in.
HH Wesley Special  56lb. at 26in..
HH Big 5          64lb. at 28in.
HH Wesley Special 55lb. at 28in.
HH Redman         60lb. at 28in.
Simmmons sharks
2016 Legacys

Offline the longbowkid

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2010, 04:18:00 PM »
cant speak for 2 blades but my woodsman elite 175 gr. heads cut a huge hole, penetrated great, and dropped a her under 50 yards.
Anneewakee Addiction longbow 56" 50@28

"too many people live under the misguided impression that death is the worst possible of natural events"
  -John G. Mitchell, "The Hunt"

Offline Notso

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2010, 04:54:00 PM »
Shot my first longbow/wood arrow buck with a Magnus 2 blade. Dropped within sight !!!!

Offline tarponnut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2010, 05:03:00 PM »
I use Magnus 2(125gr) blades and have gotten quick kills(on several hogs)and good blood trails from my 48# longbow. I use the Magnus tool to sharpen them truly scary sharp, I also add a tanto tip.Got a great blood trail on a hog on Saturday only went 75 yards before piling up.

Offline OkKeith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2010, 05:08:00 PM »
Matthew,

As many have already said, two-blade broad heads worked just fine for decades before three and four blades came along. I suppose if an Indian could have knapped a three-blade they would have, but the "flat" profile is what they worked with. Big flat two-blades fly better with a larger fletch put on with a good helical twist. Tiny feathers fletched parallel to the shaft won't do it.

I have used the MA-2 for years, along with other two-blade versions and they are what I have confidence in. I have used the three-blades (Wensels, Snuffers, etc.) and they are fine broad heads which will kill effectively. My problem is that I can't get them as sharp as my two-blades. It's my own fault, not the broad heads. I can get the two-blades shaving sharp with little effort, but can grind the others to nothing before I get a good edge.

Use what makes you feel right, but the two-blades will kill just as well as three, four or whatever else. As has been said may times. It's where the broad head goes, not necessarily what it is shaped like, that does the job.

OkKeith
In a moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing. The worst thing you can do is nothing.
Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Buckeye Trad Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2010, 06:21:00 PM »
2 blade Magnus are the only broadheads that I use.  3 whitetail taken and all 3 have dropped within sight.  2 within 10 seconds and the other in less than 30 seconds.

Offline Prairie Drifter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2010, 06:41:00 PM »
I'd say they work!

Maddog Bows (16)
Rocky Mnt Recurves(2)
Sierra Blanca Bows (2)
Mike B.

Offline Pinecone

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2010, 06:41:00 PM »
Magnus two-blades have killed critters all over the globe.  Sharpen them up and you can hunt with confidence.

Claudia
Pinecone

Offline John3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2010, 09:35:00 PM »
Two blade Zwickeys are ALL the broadhead I will ever need.  Deadly, easy to sharpen and they fly perfectly.  Plus they work every time...

"There is no excellence in Archery without great labor".  Maurice Thompson 1879

Professional Bowhunters Society--Regular Member
United Bowhunters of Missouri
Compton Life Member #333

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©