3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: My box call sounds like crap!  (Read 1173 times)

Offline razorsharptokill

• Trad Bowhunter
My box call sounds like crap!
« on: April 25, 2007, 10:45:00 PM »
It's a M.A.D. Cherry bomb. When I bought it I thought it sounded ok. I'm a novice at this.

I went hunting for the first time the other day and it was almost impossible to get anything close to a turkey sound out of it. It squeaks some thing terrible! Later I tried sanding the lid and applying more chalk and it got better but it still throws a shrill note fairly often. Any ideas?
Jim Richards
Veteran

USMC 84-88
Oklahoma Army National Guard 88-89
USMCR 89-96 Desert Storm
Oklahoma Air National Guard 2002- present. Operation Iraqi Freedom 2005(Qatar) and 2007(Iraq),
Operation New Dawn Iraq 2011,
Operation Enduring Freedom 2018 Afghanistan.
NRA Life Member.

Offline dorris

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: My box call sounds like crap!
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2007, 10:48:00 PM »
sounds like its got a crack
" If I fail trying my hardest did I really fail ? "

Jeff Dorris
11/16/1970 ~ 3/30/2010
Rest In Peace

Offline thp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2007, 11:03:00 PM »
Razor,

The expensive option is to go get another box call. There's lots of them out there.

You might try a slate call.  I tried one of the Hunter Specialty slates for the first time this year.  With a little practice I was able to make very convincing yelps and clucks.  With a little more practice I'm sure I could do a convincing purr.
Be kind and merciful. Let no one ever come to you without coming away better and happier. -Mother Teresa

Offline razorsharptokill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2007, 11:22:00 PM »
I have a primos slate and I do pretty well with it. I may just focus on it this year.
Jim Richards
Veteran

USMC 84-88
USMCR 89-96 Desert Storm
Oklahoma Air National Guard 2002- present. Operation Iraqi Freedom 2005(Qatar) and 2007(Iraq),
NRA Life Member.

Offline shootrmn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2007, 02:05:00 AM »
I have the uncanny ability to make the very finest calls sound like fingernails on a chalk board and cause turkeys to move five counties away in mminutes. I have alienated all my neighbors while trying to learn the mouth calls and more than one death threat has been posted while I was working with my slate calls. I am going to try following someone that sounds like a turkey and shooting at his over flow.
shootrmn
Practicing the Dicipline of Steel
Given by the Gods and honed by my father.

Offline 2Blade

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2007, 03:00:00 AM »
As I tell everyone and no one paid atteion get a Blodgett!! They have the best box calls made they won the nationals 6 years in a row for best sounding box and friction calls NO ONE is close to the sound and beauty of these calls I guarntee you.
The Stuttering Bowhunter

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2007, 05:17:00 AM »
Humidity plays a big role in how a box call will sound on any given day. Have you tried to tune it at all by adjusting the screw on the lid? As mentioned before you nee to use oilless chalk, i use the half round pieces of blue chalk line chalk that you can buy at a hardware store. Also you should not do a lot of sanding on a box with sand paper use scotch pads that are less harmful as you don't want to remove wood from the call. Very little pressure is needed to get a good sound from a box all calls are different but for the most part just the weight of the lid will be all that you need. Just like shooting trad gear a box call will require practice to master to get the sound that you want. A slate is a good call but make sure you have a striker that will work in wet weather, some of the best days to hunt turkeys is in the rain. You can't beat a box call for locating long distance but once mastered they are a very effective close in call also, good luck.
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline gobbler10ga

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2007, 07:47:00 AM »
lightly sand the paddle then chaulk it well . the purpleheart paddle can give high pitches
TEAM HILLBILLY

Offline Charles Sorrells

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2007, 09:41:00 AM »
I would caution on too much with sanding and re-sanding the lid.  Take 80 grit with the grain with just little pressure then chalk it fairly heavy with an oiless chalk, if you don't have any I'll gladly send you a big chunk.  Keep working the call and let the chalk work down into the grain.  It will season it like a good skillet.  

On the side boards very lightly touch them along the grain with nothing less than 120 and nothing finer than 220 grit.  

The low tones in a box call come as the paddle travels low towards the bottom end.  If you are continually squeaking loosen the screw an eighth turn at a time and check it.  Loosening the screw allows the paddle to travel lower on the side boards to hit the lower tones.  One smooth motion of the paddle from the highest point to the lowest point should produce a full range of tone that you can judge for sound quality and make adjustments from the there.  Careful here too, and this should be done as a last resort.

Sorry to be long winded, but I just wanted to help.  I have made a few thousand boxcalls and this is what works for me.  

I would check the glue lines to as mentioned above.  If you find a loose one just seep some thin super glue in it and hold tight for a few seconds and that should mend that problem as well.

Good hunting!!!
Charles
"When the Lord is your guide, you never hunt alone."

Offline 2-BIG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2007, 09:57:00 AM »
Try what Charles said. I like to lightly use one of those green scrub pads to clean up the paddle as well as the edges of the box. Then re-chalk and try adjusting the screw until you get the right sound.
It may not sound great to you but most calls are made to attract the hunter and the birds aren't near as fussy as we are.
I have a buddy that has the nastiest sounding calling no matter what he uses but when the turkeys won't answer my "perfect" sounding calls, I have him call and they will answer!  :banghead:
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who are not. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline flinch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2007, 01:10:00 PM »
It's pretty hard to put down a box call and pickup a bow without being spotted by a turkey unless you are in a blind.  I prefer a mouthcall; but had to practice to avoid gagging.   For what it is worth a diaphragm is easy to use while holding a bow in readiness to draw.  I have also noticed turkeys will come to calls that are not perfect.

Offline bluegrassbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2007, 07:25:00 PM »
I've got a cherry bomb I've been using for around 4 years & it sounds as good now as the day I got it.I clean off all the old chalk with a scrowing pad & steelwool,then rechalk....I've got a buddy that put that waterproofing stuff on his,the kind that's made for box calls & his sounds like junk now.....he wished he hadn't done it now...
"Life,Liberty & the pursue of deer & turkeys."

Offline razorsharptokill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2007, 10:31:00 PM »
Thanks guys . All good advice, I'll try it.
Jim Richards
Veteran

USMC 84-88
USMCR 89-96 Desert Storm
NRA Life Member.

Offline bmfer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2007, 10:37:00 PM »
I wish I knew how to call a turkey.
Bret M. FullER

Offline bowhntrct

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2007, 10:49:00 PM »
Some of the worst turkey calls I have heard in the woods came from real hens. I also raised Bronze turkeys big and mean and rarely sounded like the ones on TV.Try a Lynch and the right chalk.
C.T.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty, well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside,thoroughly used up and worn out,and loudly proclaiming WOW!! What A Ride!!

Offline Roadkill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2007, 07:30:00 PM »
Wow what comes when you use it?  I used to clean my calls with a scotch pad after every day's use.  In VA we could only hunt on base until noon, so i had time to clean it before the next day,  Try that as others have suggested.
Cast a long shadow-you may provide shade to someone who needs it.  Semper Fi

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2007, 07:57:00 PM »
Razorsharptokill,  I have a box full of calls. I prefer a slate myself but have several box calls. Send me your address and I`ll be glad to send you a box and a slate call.RC

Offline olddogrib

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2007, 07:13:00 AM »
Also consider that beauty is in the mind of the listener. The awfullest clucking and cackling I've ever heard came from what I thought was the worst caller I'd ever heard moving in on my bird.  Turned out to be a real hen and the poor old gal with the speech impediment led the biggest gobbler I've ever killed right to me!
"Wakan Tanka
 Wakan Tanka
 Pilamaya
 Wichoni heh"

Offline fflintlock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2007, 11:02:00 AM »
herrrrrrrrre turkey turkey turkey !!

heheheeeeeeeee

Offline razorsharptokill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2007, 05:19:00 PM »
Cleaned all the old chalk off and scuffed it a little with 800 grit, tightened the screw a little bit, re-chalked it and the squeeks are gone.

Don't sound like the $59.00 one a tried at Basspro but I think it'll work! Thanks guys.
Jim Richards
Veteran

USMC 84-88
USMCR 89-96 Desert Storm
NRA Life Member.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©