3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Side mount quiver for my PCH any help?  (Read 304 times)

Offline Jerry Wald

• Trad Bowhunter
Side mount quiver for my PCH any help?
« on: March 23, 2010, 01:15:00 AM »
Black Widow has three models that I can see.

Selway - thunderhorn - Great northern.

I have had a bolt mount Selway before, but haven't tried any of the others.

Any help....think i will go with a 5 arrow one even if I generally only use 4....give me a judo option.

I kinda liked the idea about the Thunderhorn being adjustable for up to 6 ....does anyone have one of these.

Going to phone tomorrow just to ask Roger but I thought if you guys are using them you would have some suggestions.

I generally use my side quiver (safari tuff), But I heard someone talking about hunting hogs and having to run sometimes and the bow quiver might just be the ticket.

Jer Bear

Online Steelhead

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Side mount quiver for my PCH any help?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2010, 02:03:00 AM »
After looking at a few of these recently and also having a couple.I kinda like or prefer the ones that mount in direct line with the riser in an up and down plane.Better balance on the bow IMO.

GN kinda sits back toward the archer when holding the bow.Its not centered.Seems a little awkward and unbalanced to me.

Kanatis mount in line with the riser and Thunderhorn as well.Eagles flight offers a side mount quiver as well that you may take a look at.

Offline mooseman76

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2010, 05:14:00 AM »
Personally, I like the GN out of the three.  It is lighter and just felt better on the bow for me.  Another choice to consider is ordering directly from Thunderhorn.  You can get the "small fry" model, a bit smaller and lighter than its big brother.  You can also order them in whatever leathers you want to match your bow.  Just a thought...Mike

Offline kadbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2010, 08:14:00 AM »
I have a 4 arrow Thunderhorn for my PTFX w/inserts that I ordered directly from Thunderhorn.  The six arrow are a little big for my liking.
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
Colorado Bowhunters Association
Grand Mesa Bowmen
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2010, 08:16:00 AM »
I bought the BOA for when I go on certain hunts when I need a lot of arrows...but I'd like a smaller one for when I don't.

So TTT
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2010, 08:54:00 AM »
Eagles Flight can make a side mount model if you have the inserts in the riser. You can also use the standard limb bolt model with the belly mounted limbs using the right hardware. I use one on my Shawnee, same principle.
"Being there was good enough..." Charlie Lamb reflecting on a hunt
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline Junglecat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2010, 10:22:00 AM »
I have a right-handed PCH III ordered.I ordered a LEFT-HANDED Great Northern Quick Mount Limb bolt quiver.It will work on a right-handed bow and will be more in line with the riser as opposed to sitting back more toward the archer.Talk to Roger at BW about it.If you have a left-handed bow order a right-handed quiver.
Bear Grizzly 58"        38 lbs@29"
Black Widow PCH III 60" 44 lb@29"
Black Widow PLX 62"     45 lb@28"
Kentuckian Flatbow  60" 55 lb@28"

Offline Irish

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2010, 11:04:00 AM »
I have the limb bolt Thunderhorn BOAs on my Widow Takedowns, and the Thunderhorn Side Mount on my PTFX.
Mel Riley

Offline JARHEAD1371

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2010, 11:12:00 AM »
Check out Kanati traditional Bow Quivers. Great design and craftsmanship. John Dill is the best guy you could deal with.
Active Duty Marines '96-'04 Medically Retired

Offline hockey7

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2010, 11:56:00 AM »
I use the 4 arrow Thunderhorn side winder small fry. It holds 4 arrows, but I added another rubber arrow holder, and I can fit 5 arrows, field pts, or broadheads quite nicely.

Offline Jerry Wald

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2010, 12:18:00 PM »
So I want one that utilizes the inserts - has the bar between the hood and the arrow gripper and is a four arrow one.

I have emailed thunderhorn to see what they have to offer. I just don't like the strap on ones. When I hunt here in the winter the rubber straps get real cold and they slip.

I never had a two piece one that ever stayed straight either.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Now I need a place to ship it in the states (somewhere near montana - kalispell or bozeman) cause I won't get my bow here in time before I leave. Can't see sending it here - paying the shipping and the duty etc and it arriving two days before I leave.

I will just build the arrows and tune it when i get south of the border.

Jer

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2010, 12:43:00 PM »
Junglecat has it--I put a RH GNC on my PCH and the balance was really off. Then tried a LH one and it worked perfectly!

Offline Lippe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2010, 01:31:00 PM »
I have the strap-on boa which works well for me. What I don't like is the foam in the hood - wears out too quickly. Do any of these quivers have a hood similar to the Quikee Quiver? Just wondering. Lippe

Offline Dan White

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2010, 02:02:00 PM »
Jerry you might take a look at what Anneewakee Archery has to offer in there Kanati line of quivers. I like their angle model. John Dill is great help. Their a sponsor here.

Offline Jerry Wald

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2010, 02:03:00 PM »
Anyone tried the Kanati in the two piece that bolts on to the inserts (do they move). I was looking at their angled one too that you can put on a few ways.

I have the Kanati Rubber strapped one that I used on mt Shrew and when it got cold it wouldn't stay put.  :(  

Jer

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2010, 02:41:00 PM »
Originally posted by Jerry Wald:
So I want one that utilizes the inserts - has the bar between the hood and the arrow gripper and is a four arrow one.
Yep, Eagles Flight has it. Use the sponsor pulldown to contact them or drop Don (Twofletch) a PM or email.
"Being there was good enough..." Charlie Lamb reflecting on a hunt
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline John Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2010, 08:38:00 PM »
Jerry

Glad to see your looking for a bow quiver! All Kanati's are built to be solid when mounted on a bow. Give me a ring 252-227-2114 and I can share some tips on mounting your two piece quiver so that its rock solid. The side mount option gives you some strong mounting options too. Whatever bow quiver choice you go with make sure that its built solid and completes your bow as a tool instead of a problem. Good luck on your search.

Thanks everyone for the nice comments!

Offline Jerry Wald

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2010, 09:00:00 PM »
Ok John I will...thanks.

I have a rubber strap on one but when it gets cold ..like I said before wouldn't stay in place...maybe I shouldn't be shooting when it's that cold but if I wait for good weather I might not get to shoot much   ;)  

Jer

Offline Bowhunter4life

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2010, 09:08:00 PM »
When I shot Widows I preferred the SA and had to have a Selway Sidemount on them.  Had a hard time shooting them any other way... Makes for a heavy bow, but it's all centered and balanced very well, especially at full draw, and dead in the hand at the shot (and I mean dead!).

"Bowhunting isn't a hobby or a sport... It's a way of life!"

Quote: "Everything you read on the internet is the truth." -Abraham Lincoln

>>>-TGMM Family of the Bow--->

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2010, 09:16:00 PM »
Yep, Aneewakee is the quiver I'm going to get for my PCH. Really like a smaller quiver when I hunt as I usually never take more than 4 arrows. Good luck and let us know what you go with.   :thumbsup:
Desert Shield/Storm, Somalia and IOF Veteran
"The Mountains are calling and, I must go!" John Muir

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©