3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Eyeglass's and trad bows??  (Read 457 times)

Offline L. E. Carroll

• Trad Bowhunter
Eyeglass's and trad bows??
« on: March 23, 2010, 01:25:00 AM »
:knothead:    :knothead:  ... I think this may be the way to go for my up-coming Black bear hunt.

My question is.... did I screw up?  Or, do any of you agree with my thinking???  As a note, I also shoot trap occasionally and that too is hard with the bi-focals... I'm hoping to kill 2 birds with one $400 stone.

All thoughts appreciated.
Gene  :wavey:    :coffee:
Tall Tines R/C
64 Kodiak
69 Super Kodiak Big River replica
56" 55$# Static Tipped Kwyk Styk
Blacktail Elite
54 dual shelf Compass Kodiak

PBS Associate Member
Traditional Bowhunters of WA.

Online Steelhead

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Eyeglass's and trad bows??
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2010, 01:40:00 AM »
I think you did well.Mine have titanium frames,transition lenses,are polorized and the frame is a little bigger than I would normally get in circumfirance because I dont want to see the frame when shooting or with my peripheral vision.

These have one other feature that may be newer?They have small magnetic dots on each outside/upper corner of the lenses.You can buy lenses that snap on magnetically to these that fit perfectly to the lense.These lenses come in a variety of shades and colors.Some can be used in very bright sun like for flats fishing.I got the snap ons with the yellow tint that alot of trap shooters use.I could probably use another one designed for fishing in bright sun.i will probably get those soon.These magnetic snap ons cost around 75$ per pair.

Its An additional option to think about anyway.

Online DesertDude

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2010, 01:43:00 AM »
Gene,

I shoot with progressive Tri-focals, best thing I ever did. At first it took some getting use to, but then it's like second nature now. I just got new glasses a month ago and went for the whole works, Progressive lenses, Transition, and Digimax glass?plastic which gives you a wider field of view. All I can say is WOW!! super clear......Give me a call if you want to B.S. about it. 760-289-2013.....
DesertDude >>>----->

US Navy (Retired)
1978-1998

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2010, 02:06:00 AM »
I'm like DesertDude with the progressive Tri-Focals, and also wear contact lenses sometimes. For me it doesn't make any difference...........I only look at the 'spot' on the target anyway and nothing else.

Offline Nakohe

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2010, 02:19:00 AM »
I also wear the tri-focals and have no problem shooting.
"Then Peter said unto them. Repent all of you and be baptized in the Name of Jesus for remission of sins and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
Acts 2:38

TGMM Family Of The Bow
Life Member T. B. O. T.
SGT. U.S.A.F. '72-'76
Life Member NRA

Offline Earthdog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2010, 03:02:00 AM »
Worn glasses since I was about 14 years old,never had a problem shooting with them.

Today I wear progressives,$800 last time I bought a pair "at lest that's what the insurance company paid.
Winning or losing is not the important thing,,the important thing is how well you played the game.

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2010, 04:07:00 AM »
I found it very difficult to get in and out of a treestand with bifocals; as when I looked down where my feet go- I was looking through the bottom lens- and a big blur.

I tried contact lens' and was warned by my granddaughter "grampa - first you have to accept contact lens - and then you have to convince your eyelids to accept them".

She was so right. My eyelids did not accept them.

I stopped drinking diet cokes with 'Aspartame' - and my vision returned.    info on aspartame ...
THE VOICES HAVEN'T BOTHERED ME SINCE I STARTED POKING THEM WITH A Q-TIP.

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2010, 06:36:00 AM »
progressive tri-focals here, with auto tint.  no problem-o for any kinda shooting - 'cept in wet weather!
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline Paul Mattson

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2010, 06:52:00 AM »
I have progressive bi-focals and havn't had any problems.

I get my glasses from  www.zennioptical.com   paid only $49.00 for my last pair.  All you need is a copy of your prescription.

Offline Red Beastmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2010, 08:20:00 AM »
I wear progressive bifocals for everyday use. I got single vision for shooting/hunting from Wally World for $28.

Bifocals and walking in the woods don't mix well with me. I get nauseous and trip on every stick in the woods.
There is no great fun, satisfaction, or joy derived from doing something that's easy.  Coach John Wooden

Offline Dave Thaxton

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2010, 08:28:00 AM »
Bifocals here with no problem except wet weather and fogging with mask on.
64"55@28 Kohannah Flatbow
60"53@28 Robertson Peregrine
68"45@28 Howard Hill Redman

Online Tom

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2010, 08:46:00 AM »
Glasses since I was 11, bifocals for the last 10, no problem either walking or shooting. Of couse,then you should see how I shoot.
The essence of the hunt for me is to enter nature and observe+ return safely occasionally with the gift of a life taken.

Offline Gary Logsdon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2010, 09:03:00 AM »
OK, here's a contrasting experinece for you. I tried bifocals for 2 years and never felt comfortable with them. Then, the eye doc told me that I would have to go with a trifocal in order to do what I do (close-up vision for reading my teaching materials, mid-distance vision for working at the computer, distance for driving, hunting, etc.  That was 4 years ago and I still have major problems.  As someone said above I have to watch climbing from trees, not to mention going down staircases.  As far as shooting, I am prone to "throwing an arrow" on occasion if my head happens to be at the wrong angle. The distortion in "gap" causes me to miss BAD. I must say that I actually do better with tradtional lenses; I wore transition bifocals for 18 months at the recommendations of friends who kept saying "You'll get use to them."  I never did.  One doc suggested a Lasik-contact lens combo, but I had too many friends and family who experienced bad results with their surgeries so decided against that route.  Right now, I'm wearing traditional trifocals most of the time and a pair of single vision glasses for hunting.  Seems to be the best for my needs.
Gary Logsdon

Offline 2fletch

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2010, 09:14:00 AM »
Some will have trouble shooting with any glasses because of their form. I had to start using a more open stance in order to get the frames out of the way.

Bad weather is also a big problem. Humidity is an enemy of anyone shooting with glasses. I once shot my own teammate while playing paintball because my glasses fogged up, and he showed up where he wasn't supposed to. In another situation I had a 30 point lead in a state archery tournament before missing three targets and falling behind. If you guessed it was because of glasses fogging then you'd be correct. It's hard to hit a target that you can't see. Hunting can also be a problem. Nothing seems to fog up the lenses like a nice buck moving into target range.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2010, 09:38:00 AM »
The only thing I might add to what all have said is that the transitions lenses or at least mine are affected by the cold not just the light. So if its cold early or late in low light I have some issues with good vision. If I look over the glasses things brighten right up. I have shot with glasses for many years, you'll do fine.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Pat B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2010, 09:58:00 AM »
I wear lined bifocals, couldn't get used to the trasitions and frankly didn't give them a lot of time.. I do have the optometrist orient the bottom portion lower in the lense than most.. That way it's still there for reading or close viewing but the bifocal part is more "out of the way" for my normal outdoor activity. Even so I don't like having to wear them for shooting but just can't see without glasses. With the bifocal part situated as above it doesn't seem to have any adverse effect more than plain single lense glasses. At this age Lasik seems like trading one set of glasses for another..

« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2010, 10:28:00 AM »
I've been wearing glasses for farsightedness and astigmatism since I was 8. Bifocals for the past 12 years. What I have found is that a smaller frame/lense combination works better for me with shooting a bow. I can position my head so that I'm looking out the upper part of the lense much more easily. Tried single vision and there were too many things I couldn't see while I was wearing them.  Ditched the transitional lenses--they were way too dark at dawn/dusk on cold days. Haven't gone for the big hit on the varilux lenses--these are costly enough and besides, I'd rather get a new bow!  ;)

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2010, 10:46:00 AM »
God ost.  I was told I will have to get bifocals at my next optometry check up.  I was wondering how they would affect my woodsmanship and shooting.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Online Burnsie

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2010, 10:55:00 AM »
My bifocals seem to work OK, but in a few months I plan to have Lasik surgery and take care of the glasses issue once and for all.
"You can't get into a bar fight if you don't go to the bar" (Grandma was pretty wise)

Offline trad_in_cali

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2010, 10:57:00 AM »
I also recommend to make sure your new frames don't get in the way of the string. When I made new glasses, I had to put new lenses in the old frame, just to shoot. The new frames came lower on the face, and the string touched the bottom, preventing a proper anchor.
Marco

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©