3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Over the counter big game tags  (Read 1313 times)

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Over the counter big game tags
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2007, 02:38:00 PM »
hmmm never thought about Nebraska. Being geographically challenged like I am I have to look at my map and see where that is. Plenty of public land Benbow?
There is always someone that knows more than you, and someone that knows less than you, so you can always learn and you can always teach

Offline Jeff Holchin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2007, 02:46:00 PM »
Mickey, I assume that you are most interested in western states, so here is what I know about a few such states for OTC tags for NRs (that haven't already been mentioned):

AZ - archery deer tags are still OTC(for now, I hear this may change soon) and you can hunt mule or coues deer.  This is the only state I know of that offers OTC NR tags for coues deer, which are quite challenging and live in ruggedly beautiful country.  If you go in January, their rutting behaviour works in your favor.  Although it seems the mule and coues deer like different country, you can find areas with both deer and double your fun and odds of filling a tag.

UT - you can still get elk and deer tags OTC, and experience good hunting in interesting  country from the desert sage to forested high mountains.

MT - although not exactly OTC, you can get a state wide archery antelope tag if you apply before June 1, and possibly some leftover doe tags.

SD - I was told recently there are OTC tags for whitetails, but if you apply they might be good for whitetails or mulies???
"He has also made me as a select arrow, He has hidden me in His quiver." - Isaiah 49:2

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2007, 02:57:00 PM »
AZ has over the counter deer tags but you have to draw for a javie tag? How crazy is that? LOL..If I'm not mistaken in AZ one applied for a javie tag, but had to buy the hunt lic before applying this year and if you weren't drawn they kept your lic money or some such deal. Wingnut was telling me something about it. I don't think he applied this year.

Not necessarily just out west Jeff (heck I applied to New Hampshire for moose remember? LOL)

Do like to hunt different species than we have here sometimes.

I figured a list here would help many. I'm sure there are guys out west that would like to come to the midwest to hunt whitetails or turkey or bear. Now they know not to try Iowa...

I would HATE to live in a state where even the residents had to draw for tags..geesh
There is always someone that knows more than you, and someone that knows less than you, so you can always learn and you can always teach

Offline jeff / sc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2007, 03:39:00 PM »
Well there is always SC where you have to tag your does but can shoot all the bucks you want from Aug thru Dec without tags.  Talk about crazy, needlest to say SC is not known for trophy bucks.

Offline Budog56

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2007, 03:50:00 PM »
Nebraska has Mule deer, whitetail, turkeys, antelope, small game, waterfowl If there is a season for it a nonresident can buy a tag for it...except elk but there really arent enough of them to matter. and for some reason they havent given out a bighorn sheep tag for a couple years. ..If ya wanna know anything else let me know..Seth

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2007, 04:08:00 PM »
over here you dont have to pay for a permit you just put your name down. crap you guys get ripped off something big. as we dont pay for a deer tag hell its free all you need is luck in getting a deer  :eek:
'' sometimes i wake up Grumpy;
other times i let her sleep"

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Online Tom

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2007, 04:16:00 PM »
Virginia has OTC tags for deer, turkey and bear. Lots of public land in western part of the state. Big racks come from all over the  state but is usually private land-although someone willing to work can get some big bucks with boot leather.
The essence of the hunt for me is to enter nature and observe+ return safely occasionally with the gift of a life taken.

Offline John Havard

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2007, 07:06:00 PM »
I'll second what John in Alaska said.  Alaska has most everything available to non-residents over the counter except the "big three" which require guides.  Awsome hunting is available if you work the problem and hook up with the right air taxi.  Although I now live in Illinois and hunt deer in Wisconsin, Alaska is still "home".  I go back every year and chase something - usually moose.  It's worth considering!

Offline Strutter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2007, 07:27:00 PM »
KY has OTC deer tags and also they are going to draw 300 (I think) elk tags this year and 10% of those are alloted to NR's.  Cost is $10.00 to apply and  $300.00 for the tag if you get drawn as well as the $115.00 NR hunting license.

Rob

Offline John Nail

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2007, 07:33:00 PM »
What Tom said.......those were the good old days.
I've hunted AK,IN,TX,IL,OH,KY,MO,OK,LA,WI,CO,ID,NM,TN Canada and Korea.
The price of Tags have gotten sky high in the last dozen years, and too hard to come by. I take a little hunt someplace every year, but often as not, it's for small game.
Is it too late to be what I could have been?

Online Bigriver

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: April 26, 2007, 07:40:00 PM »
North Dakota is a real sleeper for whitetail & mulies. The mulies are a draw, fcfs, but I have been 5 for 5 when applying.Make the deadline & you will draw the any deer tag. The badlands are beautiful & worth checking out. I would live there if I was single.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Roadkill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: April 26, 2007, 07:57:00 PM »
The only big game we residents don't draw for in Nevada are lions-over the counter at $26 each and we get two.
Cast a long shadow-you may provide shade to someone who needs it.  Semper Fi

Offline [email protected]

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: April 26, 2007, 08:27:00 PM »
Tom is right about Oregon.  You can buy archery elk, deer,over the counter.  BUT you must purchase them before the season opens.

CAN you buy Idaho archery deer tags over the counter?  Whole state or limited areas?

Bob
Beware of all enterprises that require a new suit.

Don't give up what you want most for what you want now.

Offline Joe Subler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: April 26, 2007, 09:48:00 PM »
Bob, I just checked the Idaho Fish and Game site and on the license information it says you can purchase at Fish and Game offices, mail, online  or at 400+ vendors statewide.  They do say there is a quota on the number available so they advise to get your license early.  The last time I hunted elk in Idaho I know they had them still available for over the counter where we hunted but that may change year to year.  To be certain we always call our request in as soon as they  become available.  Another thing that was good is one of our members had a health problem arise in the summer and he just sent in a letter from his doctor explaining the problem and the DNR refunded his money.  Great folks to work with he said.  :thumbsup:  

Joe
62" Mohawk  53#@27"

Offline Luke Vander Vennen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: April 26, 2007, 09:51:00 PM »
Ontario has OTC deer tags. The amount you can purchase depends on what are you're in. Typically cost I think is $36.50/resident tag. Can't help you out right now, but give me a few years and I can try put you onto some deer.
Dances with Turtles

Offline Jason in Bama

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: April 26, 2007, 09:58:00 PM »
Buy a non-resident license in Alabama and you can kill two deer a day in most counties with no tags to buy.
Your sole purpose in life may be to serve as a warning to others.
The journey is the destination.

Offline ozarkcherrybow1

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: April 26, 2007, 10:24:00 PM »
You buy a license in Arkansas and your allowed to kill Deer, Bear, Turkey and just about anything that moves for one price. We have more public land with excellent hunting than most states. Your license is good for a year, and oh yea our archery Deer and Turkey season is from Oct. 1st thru the end of Feb!! Only problem is ya have to go to work sometime  :campfire:  Terry

Offline Jesse Minish

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: April 26, 2007, 10:41:00 PM »
If you want a non-res tag in Idaho dont wait much longer than two weeks after the season opens Aug 30th. Residents can buy them after filling their regular tag.

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: April 26, 2007, 11:23:00 PM »
Idaho's website has a way of showing you how many OTC tags are available for each unit as I recall. Some many left for Selway, etc.
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline kojac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: April 27, 2007, 02:06:00 AM »
missouri and north dakota are my choice for deer (missouri tags are cheaper) and in mid sept you can hunt antelope on public land here in montana but the antelope tag needs to be purchase OTC by june 1st I believe.

good luck,

ps don't give-up on montana, an idea for next time might be to all put in sepertly and the ones that don't draw can still come and hunt antelope. If you hunt muledeer you can still all hunt from the same camp if the area you hunt is in the eastern part of montana(where muledeer and antelope both reside).
Brian

"Hunting...is about the Sights, Sounds, Smells, and  the Hunted...All the hunter has to do is show up"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©