3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Hoyt GM Rest?  (Read 521 times)

Offline BCD

• Trad Bowhunter
Hoyt GM Rest?
« on: April 26, 2007, 09:46:00 AM »
Please post suggestions for the best arrow rest for the hoyt Gamemaster.

Thank you

BCD
BCD

Offline Deadsmple

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Hoyt GM Rest?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2007, 03:02:00 PM »
Shoot off the shelf. It can very easily be tuned to shoot off the shelf well. But if you really want to go with a rest the NAP flipper is a good one.
All praise is the Lords

"to get to heaven, turn right and stay straight"

Offline themonkey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2007, 04:43:00 PM »
go with the flipper, tuning ona them things to shoot good off of the shelf will turn out to be more of a pain in the arse than anything
Don't deal with me, I stole from the St Jude's Auction.

Offline GEREP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2007, 04:46:00 PM »
I'd prefer to shoot the my GM of of an elevated rest but in in some of the shoots (IBO) I go to, an elevated rest is not allowed.

Anyway, here is what I have come up with. This is a 1/4" x 1" heavy duty self stick felt pad that you would normally install to the bottom of a chair leg to keep from scratching the floor. You can get a dozen of them from Home Depot or Walmart for about 2 bucks. Simply take a razor blade and slice one of the pads in half. Use one half for the rug and one half for the strike plate. Becuase the GM is cut past center, I used the full 1/4" thickness for the side plate and I trimmed the rug piece in half to make it 1/8" thick for the rug. (it is my understanding that IBO limits the thickness of the rug to 1/8")

This particular set has had hundreds of arrows shot across it and has not shown any signs of wear whatsoever. Arrow flight is as good as can be expected off the shelf and it is whisper quiet.

Give it a try...you can get them at your local walmart, about 2 bucks for a dozen of them.

KPC
To the best of my knowledge, no man, on his death bed, ever said "I wish I had spent more time at the office..."

Offline CJ5

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2007, 05:14:00 PM »
NAP centerest flipper.

Offline Van/TX

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2007, 08:30:00 PM »
GEREP, that's pretty cool!  :wavey:  ...Van
Retired USAF (1966 - 1989)
Retired DoD Civilian (1989 - 2009)
And drawing Social Security!
I love this country ;-)

Offline GEREP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2007, 07:49:00 AM »
Thanks Van, you'd be surprised what you can find out there when you have to.  Necessity is the mother of invention, so they say.

Actually, I have since trimmed the rug a little more.  I pretty much cut the rounded portion off which left a strip about the width of my arrow.  I think it helps even more with fletching contact.

KPC
To the best of my knowledge, no man, on his death bed, ever said "I wish I had spent more time at the office..."

Offline Van/TX

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2007, 08:01:00 PM »
Thanks Van, you'd be surprised what you can find out there when you have to. Necessity is the mother of invention, so they say.

Admit it.  You are cheap (frugal)  :bigsmyl:    :bigsmyl:  ...Van
Retired USAF (1966 - 1989)
Retired DoD Civilian (1989 - 2009)
And drawing Social Security!
I love this country ;-)

Offline FJTOYMAN

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2007, 11:24:00 PM »
I use an NAP flipper rest. Works great. I can shoot blazer vanes with no problem for when the weather gets nasty.

Offline GEREP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2007, 05:27:00 AM »
[/QUOTE]Admit it.  You are cheap (frugal)   :readit:    

The fact that these are 2 bucks a dozen is just icing on the cake.  Actually, I think the package had 18 in it...even better yet.
  :thumbsup:  

KPC

Offline BD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2007, 08:10:00 PM »
GEREP-

I picked up some of the furniture felt today and although it works well, it is very hard and noisy when my goldtips are drawn across it. Any suggestions here? Do you hunt with it or just use it for target practice?

Thank you
BCD
BD

Offline GEREP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2007, 09:07:00 PM »
BD:

Mine are very fuzzy and no noise at all.  I'm shooting Carbon Express Terminators from this bow and I can't notice any sound at all.  The only thing I can think of is that they might be a different brand and they are stiffer.

The only thing I have hunted with this setup is hogs this past winter.  I don't think they have ears like a whitetail but I will not hesitate at all to use these for deer hunting this fall.

How noisy are yours?  

KPC

Offline GEREP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2007, 09:11:00 PM »
I just thought of something you might try BD.  Before sticking them on your bow, lightly rub them back and forth on a piece of sand paper and see if you can "fuzz" them up just a bit.

KPC

Offline BD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2007, 07:45:00 PM »
GEREp-

Tried the sandpaper-no luck-you wouldn't happen to have a picture of the package they came in would you? You did buy them at Wal-Mart correct?

Thanks again
BD
BD

Offline hormoan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2007, 09:40:00 PM »
GEREP

I'm with you, mother of invention. Is good but just a connect a dot. WOW never gave them a thought. Great idea, maybe the moderators hint. hint. will put in the HOW TO SECTION. Its one of the best frugal,cheap,inexpensive ideas I seen in awhile. And by the way THANKS

:thumbsup:  

Brent

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©