3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Does anyone frequently Turkey Hunt without a Blind?  (Read 458 times)

Offline Spurs

• Trad Bowhunter
Does anyone frequently Turkey Hunt without a Blind?
« on: March 24, 2010, 11:02:00 AM »
Guys, I would like some opinions.  I run and gun with a shotgun, but can it be done with a bow?  Can it be fruitful to get up and hunt every morning before work with bow in hand.  Can I work birds as if I have a shotgun, but instead sit by a tree with my bow.  I usually go hunting several mornings a week, but was wandering if I would be wasting more time if I took my bow without a blind or decoys?  

I would also like to know how you guys carry your bow.  Do you have a sling?  If so, what is the best sling, and where to get one.  I know that they make slings for wheelie bows, but was wandering if there is a technique used to transport your bow with fast access.  I also want to protect my bow somewhat.

I would love to completely put the gun down for the bow, but I am not much on sitting in a fixed location every morning.  I also hunt afternoons, and move around alot.  I definitely know that hunting with bow will be less productive, but a few shots a season this way would be sufficient.  

Please give me any ideas or methods on how to do this.  I am also going on an all bow hunt in Texas, but do not want to just sit in a blind.  I like to get out there with the turkeys.  Thanks
I like Spurs

Morrison Mini ILF copperhead skinned
Morrison Shawnee copperhead skinned

Offline rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Does anyone frequently Turkey Hunt without a Blind?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2010, 11:36:00 AM »
Search #1 click here  
  Search #2 click here  
 Search #3 click here  
  Search #4 click here  
I would have tried to give you an answer but there are a number of guys who do this that are a lot better than i am. I did a search using your post and there are several more posts with info related to this other than the ones i listed.  Hope this helps. Good luck!  :)
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline Richie Nell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2010, 12:07:00 PM »
That is all I do now.  No blind, no decoy.  I just go hunting with my bow in my hand and tyr to make things happen.  My objective is to make it more challenging. I couldn't care less about killing a turkey with a gun.
Richie Nell

Black Widow
PSA X Osage/Kingwood 71#@31

Offline Spurs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2010, 12:18:00 PM »
Thanks for the info.

Richie Nell do you have frequent success using this method.  I believe that I am going to try it.  How do you carry your bow?  Do you just carry in your hand or with a sling?
I like Spurs

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2010, 01:02:00 PM »
Spurs, I prefer this method, but I can't claim much success at it. The shots I've had, I managed to miss. It's much more exciting than blind hunting, but less productive for most folks. I like to move as close as I can to a gobbling bird and lure him in without any aids other than a call, but getting the shot off is tough. I try to set up where there are big trees between me and him in bow range, so I have a chance to get the bow drawn while his head is hidden. One of these days...

I hunted with a fellow in NC while I was working for Longbows & Recurves magazine who held most of the turkey records there. He used a stool (hard to shoot from sitting on your butt) and full head-to-toe camo, and was very successful at it.

It helps to have lots of gobblers in the area, so there's more competition for the hens. They tend to come more quickly, and not quite as suspiciously.
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Offline Richie Nell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2010, 01:09:00 PM »
I started bow hunting turkeys last season and had three misses.  Two were legitimate chokes.  I haven't had any action this year yet.  I just carry my bow in hand.  No holder.

I have learned that I would rather miss one with a bow than kill one with a gun.

The turkey journey of getting to the moment of truth without a blind, without a decoy and with a bow is alot of fun...dead bird or not.
Richie Nell

Black Widow
PSA X Osage/Kingwood 71#@31

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2010, 01:48:00 PM »
Bow in hand and spot and stalk with calling or  butt on folding stool and calling once they are found.  I always wear a 2/3 length shaggie suit that matches the environment I am in.  I have found that if you are standing up in the shaggie and paint you face they don't seem to notice you as much.  I do carry a folding decoy since I like to keep their attention on the decoy instead of me.

Does it work, yes, is it a lot harder than a shotgun, you bet.  Also way more rewarding when you kill one.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2010, 01:53:00 PM »
Never use a blind, just natural cover. timing your draw is critical when more than one bird is around.

It's tough, challenging but can be done...Good luck.
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline Gary Logsdon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2010, 02:21:00 PM »
I suppose I've been pretty consistant as one could expect taking turkeys without a blind, but's it's tough, and hard on your nerves!  I have gotten luckly a few times just sitting on the ground when everything was absolutely perfect, but in reality you will have more success distracting them with a decoy.  Some guys hunt in states where they're illegal, so lack experince using them, but once they see how well they work they're usually looking for ways to use them on other hunts, in legal locales of course:^)  Did I mention that you need a Shaggie suit??
Gary Logsdon

Offline slayerrd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2010, 02:33:00 PM »
It can be done but I would highly recommend a decoy or two. I use hazel creek decoys. They are expensive but they are worth every penny. The birds focus in so hard on the decoys that you can more times than not get a second shot or two if needed. There are also a couple other companys offering great decoys such as the Turkey Roost, Double Header Decoys, and a lees expensive option Dave Smith Decoys. Good luck

Offline Biggie Hoffman

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2010, 02:49:00 PM »
Guys who bowhunt turkeys without a blind are either a) hunting merriams or b) spirtwalkers who like hunting turkeys more than eating them.

:jumper:
PBS Life Member
Member 1K LLC

"If you are twenty and aren't liberal you don't have a heart...if you're forty and not conservative you don't have a brain".....Winston Churchill

Offline bolong

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2010, 03:13:00 PM »
If youre turkeys are like the ones in Southwest Arkansas, you got your work cut out for you. Anything is possible though. Good Luck.
bolong

Offline Spurs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2010, 08:28:00 PM »
These turkeys are tough, but I love bowhunting so much that I am going to have to try it.  I went out this afternoon with no luck.  I did shoot a cottonmouth from about 15yds.  Pulling the arrow was the interesting part.  

I will definitely take my shaggy suit next time.  I have a nice light weight ghillie.  

Gary do you camo the bow at all?  Do you have a fletching preference as far as color or do you just cover the others with a piece of camo cloth?

I appreciate all the responses.  I am a very long time turkey hunter, and just couldn't get motivated to take a wheelie bow.  I would just rather shoot them with a gun.  All has changed since getting trad fever.
I like Spurs

« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2010, 08:33:00 PM »
it aint huntin if your sitting in a tent.

Offline Gary Logsdon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2010, 09:24:00 PM »
I lay my side quiver on the ground so "fanning the fletching" isn't a problem.  As far as feather colors, most of the time I use lime green as hens and a barred green cock feather . . . very natural colors during spring green-up and also works well during fall deer season. Like I said, I always use a Shaggie (3/4 coat).  I forgo the cumbersome mask that comes with the Shaggie (interferes with my glasses) for a tight fitting spantex type camo mask . . . cover my hands with OD military wool glove liners. Bow camo depends on which one using.  The main thing is to keep within the shadows with a good backdrop.  Once a bird is spotted I slowly point the bow at my jake decoy and FREEZE until the gobbler faces it and fans in my direction.  Once his head is hidden by his fan I draw straight back and attempt a "Texas Heart Shot":^)  It's a nerve rattling way to hunt but works for me, some of the time, HA!
Gary Logsdon

Offline Traditional-Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2010, 09:27:00 PM »
Guys who bowhunt turkeys without a blind are either a) hunting merriams or b) spirtwalkers who like hunting turkeys more than eating them.

What Biggy said
  :bigsmyl:
We are what we do repeatedly. Execellence is, therefore, not an act but a habit.  

Artistole (384-322 B.C.)
Philosopher

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2010, 09:59:00 PM »
get a piece of blind fabric 4 feet high- around 12 feet long. Cut some slits in it at various places along the piece- and affix a stake, using some aluminum stakes, maybe those green metal round tomato stakes with the plastic coating on them, with a point in the tip to poke in the ground.

Place your stool against a tree- run the fabric around the back of the tree and out in a "V" shape so you are sitting wih your back toward where you expect birds to come from.

Using fresh cut sapling limbs, etc stick them through the slits to sort of brush it in a little, and stick your decoy out in front fo you, facing away from YOU as you sit in the stool.

Start your calling and as the bird approaches he won't see the decoy until he makes it by your "V" and when he does, he'll be so focused on the hen you can draw and shoot with some real chance of making a shot

I've killed  a few that way. It's light enough a setup to roll up "as is" and move several times in a day wihtout much effort.
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Spurs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2010, 10:11:00 PM »
I may try the blind fabric.  I like the idea of moving several times.  My double bull is just a pain in the rear to tote around and pack.
I like Spurs

Offline Gary Logsdon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2010, 10:14:00 PM »
A guy at Westervelt Lodge in Alabama showed me the "Inverted V Setup" Ray.  I know several compound guys who have used it successfully.  They only use the net, but of course they have the advantage of holding, and holding, and holding . . .
Gary Logsdon

Offline Gary Logsdon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2010, 10:19:00 PM »
Tom, I hunt from a Double Bull whenever I take my son with me.  I leave the cloth case at home, roll the blind up tight, and strap it vertically to a Bullpac frame.  You can "run and gun" with it this way.  Popping it off and setting up quickly is a minor chore - just takes a little practice.
Gary Logsdon

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©