3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: you gotta try KME's new stones!!  (Read 655 times)

Offline Jake

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: you gotta try KME's new stones!!
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2010, 07:29:00 PM »
Hey guys thanks for the orders.  Just talked to Ron and we both agree...the more you use these stones the better they get.  After a slight break in period they really start to shine.  Any feedback ya'll have is appreciated.  Tell us is you like 'em or not.  We are very excited about these stones. But in the end it is you ...the archer that we are here to please.  They work great with the BH sharpener and it looks like they will soon be offered for the knife sharpener 1"x4" as well.  These stones are 100% USA made.  Our commitment has always been to keep jobs here.  Thank you all again for your support.  IF anyone has any questions I encourage you to give us a call.

Offline Soilarch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2010, 11:18:00 PM »
Jake, do you have a rough estimate for a micron/grit rating on these stones?  (I know ceramics really make "grit" confusing...but I think you know what I'm asking.)

And I'll bite...can you use them dry.  From what I've learned online this is far more than your average India Oilstone, correct?

You make a mention of a break in period so I assume they DO 'fracture' a bit.  Any comparisons to Jap. Naturals that cost $$$$$$$$$$$$$?

Guys, these may be "bigger" than most realize.

Very Excited.

*don't wanna hurt the reputation of these stones..."fracture" the way I meant it is a good thing.  I wouldn't want people thinking the stones will break in two!
Micah 6:8

Offline Sharpster

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2010, 07:55:00 AM »
Thanks Everyone!

We originally had these made to replace the Norton stones because Norton closed the N.H. stone factory, laid all those people off and set up shop in Mexico. If they want to do that, it's their choice I guess.... but, it's  our  choice not to give them another dime of our business because of it.  :readit:

So we started looking for an American company that could make us a stone that was comparable to the Norton India. Wow, I didn't think it would be that tough! We got samples from a few places and have been working with one company for close to a year now. Been back and forth with samples, "can you make them harder"?...more samples, "gotta be perfectly flat"... After many more samples and experiments with different grits, I think we have almost accidentally created a stone that is superior to the Norton.

Jake and I were discussing this last night and as he said, they do have a brief break-in period. It’s a brief period though, like a diamond stone. They definitely get better the more you use them. At first I thought they might even be more aggressive than diamond stones. After giving them a thorough 9 day punishment test at the Harrisburg show, we concluded that they’re not quite as aggressive as the diamond stones but close. I think they fall somewhere between diamonds and India stones as aggressive stock removal goes. The thing that gets me is the fact that I can get a blade to shave very effortlessly using just the coarse stone, and it is very coarse BTW. (I’m not even gonna tell you what the grits are cause you wouldn’t believe me)...(Sorry Soilarch). They are very hard and we guarantee them not to belly or dish out. We’re very excited about these too and would really like to hear everyone’s thoughts about them.

Oh yea, we will be replacing the x-coarse silicon carbide stone in the knife kits with one similar to the new stones so that we can guarantee the whole 4 stone set. Thanks,

Ron
“We choose to do these things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard” — JFK

www.kmesharp.com

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline beachbowhunter

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2010, 10:33:00 AM »
Ron, its no accident that's for sure!  You were getting after this last year when we hunted at Ray's. Dude, your handle says it all...Sharpster. I swear when you nicked yourself with a broadhead, cutting oil came out!

Congrats on a job well done.

Norb
Ishi was a Californian                   :cool:

Offline Randy Morin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2010, 10:43:00 AM »
Cool, I will be interested in replacing my coarse stone in my knife kit (with stones).  After honing a bunch of grizzlies and others it is dished out pretty bad.  Cant wait.     :thumbsup:      :archer:

Offline dave19113

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2010, 11:27:00 AM »
Just 1 question guys.... I have the Norton red/blue stone..... Is that the same as these new stones or is it worth going with the new one?

I think I will go with one of the Extra Fine Grit - Dan's Hard Black Arkansas Stone for a final hone, but do I need this new ceramic one?
FREEDOM IS NOT FREE

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2010, 01:48:00 PM »
I just placed an order for them. Any idea when they will ship?
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline Jake

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2010, 03:46:00 PM »
Dave,  What kind of heads do you plan on sharpening?  I can better answer your question if I know what brand you are using.
Snag,  They will ship on Monday a.m.

Offline dave19113

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2010, 04:21:00 PM »
Originally posted by Jake:
Dave,  What kind of heads do you plan on sharpening?  I can better answer your question if I know what brand you are using.
Snag,  They will ship on Monday a.m.
Ace, Magnus 2 blade and Magnus Stingers
FREEDOM IS NOT FREE

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©