3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Do you take a firearm for back up?  (Read 1449 times)

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Do you take a firearm for back up?
« on: March 25, 2010, 01:03:00 PM »
Just wondering how many of you take a firearm while bow hunting for protection. It's not legal in Michigan while bowhunting.
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Do you take a firearm for back up?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2010, 01:16:00 PM »
Guess then I'd need one while surfing and swimming in the ocean too............and jogging in the hills around home in California. Maybe just carry all the time?

Offline The Ursus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2010, 01:16:00 PM »
I do!  It's good to have a "plan B" in this part of the world.

Offline LoweBow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2010, 01:20:00 PM »
Believe it or not....it prob IS legal in all states, but has never been pushed.
KY just went thru this and it was found Uncontatutional for the state wildlife agency to dictate that a person could not carry a legal firearm (concealed w/ permit) during the archery season, turkey seasons, etc.  A gentleman showed up at a KDFWR Commission meeting saying he was representing the NRA and pushed the Constitutionality of a few KDFWR Regulations that said it was illegal to carry.  Our Legislators ruled on this during this last session and while surfing the KDFWR site a few days ago noticed new wording.

* Hunters with a valid concealed carry deadly weapon permit under KRS 237.110 may carry a weapon consistent with that law.
Backwater Bowfishing Pro Staff.
MossyOak Pro Staff.
They can have my bow when it's pried from my cold dead fingers.

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2010, 01:20:00 PM »
Legal in Washington with a carry permit.  Yes, I always carry in the woods.  A lot more for human predators and signalling if in trouble than for bears or cougars.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2010, 01:23:00 PM »
Not legal here and I really have no reason to carry one anyway.No dangerous animals in NC.
....Quality deer management means shooting them before they get tough....

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2010, 01:23:00 PM »
If you dont miss you dont need one.And if there are other things you would need that for change your hunting grounds.In jersey if you get caught with a sidearm during any season you will be prosecuted,They love the money from that fine.
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline jhg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2010, 01:25:00 PM »
They found up in Alaska its more effective to carry pepper spary and a lot of outfitters require their guides to do just that instead of sidearms. They still have the long guns w/them.
As a deterrent, ie something that will stop animals up thru the big bears a pistol is not very effective, if thats what you need one for.

Joshua
Learn, practice and pass on "leave no trace" ethics, no matter where you hunt.

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2010, 01:29:00 PM »
In Michigan it IS legal with a concealed permit.
Any other time you can wear "open" in michigan, just not while bowhunting.
The laws aren't really the question though.
I'm wondering how many people do carry.
Thank you!!
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline GMMAT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2010, 01:29:00 PM »
It's not the animals I fear, James.  

Let's just put it this way....

I'd rather be judged by 12...than carried by 6.  I won't let a few lines on a sheet of paper dictate whether or not I come home or not.

Offline Ken Taylor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2010, 01:33:00 PM »
Besides my lifetime of hunting and other types of guiding, I guided bear hunters for over 20 years, tracked and recovered most of the bears in the dark, never ever was I armed. Have some good stories to tell.
May your next adventure lighten your heart, test your spirit, and nourish your soul.

Offline briarjumper12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2010, 01:34:00 PM »
I carry all the time.
Blessed be the Lord my strength; which teacheth my hands to war and my fingers to fight.

Offline Hunter 709

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2010, 01:43:00 PM »
In Canada (to my knowledge) no one is allowed to carry a concealed firearm at any time.  We can own handguns but you need a lot of permits and it can only be shot at a firing range.  

I guess the firearm backup question depends on what species you are hunting or may encounter on a hunt.  Some will take a shotgun or rifle when bear hunting for a backup but many just use pepper spray as a bear deterent.

I just watched Fred Eicler's brown bear hunt in Alaska on Youtube.  I have a feeling he was glad that his guide had a sidearm with him. Check it out if you have never seen it.

Earl

"Now then, get your weapons, your quiver and bow, and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me" Genesis 27:3

Offline Kenneth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2010, 01:49:00 PM »
as GMMAT said it's not the animals I'm concerned about.  I carry 24/7 and have since I turned 21.
Chasing my kids and my degree for now but come next fall the critters better look out.  ;)

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2010, 01:51:00 PM »
I always do here when in the mountains,year round, but don't when hunting antelope.

Offline elknut1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2010, 01:53:00 PM »
Always while hunting, I also have a permit!

ElkNut1

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2010, 02:08:00 PM »
Can't do it in New York while bowhunting.....I have packed a handgun when on a bow/bakpacking trip of more than 2 days. Just felt more comfortable at night when 4 or 5 miles from the nearest anything in the Adirondacks.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Chris Shelton

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2010, 02:11:00 PM »
we cant carry at all in Maryland, We do have a permit, but listen to this, in MD self defense is none existant- keep that in mind!  So the only way to get a concealed weapons permit is if your life has been threatened, and you are in danger.  The threat must be reported to the police, and you need a witness.  

If your life is in danger, and you are carrying a deadly weapon, and that threat becomes a active threat, what are you going to do?  Hmm sounds like you are probably going to defend yourself?  And then you will probably get charged with murder, or something like that.  I hate my state!
~Chris Shelton
"By failing to prepare you are preparing to fail"~Ben Franklin

Offline Bird Dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2010, 02:17:00 PM »
I always carry a concealed handgun. Dangerous two-legged animals are every where. You never know what nefarious activites your going to happen upon even in extremely remote areas.

Offline Looper

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2010, 02:17:00 PM »
I carry all the time.  I've had a few instances where I'm really glad I did.  A couple involved some feral dogs and another involved a couple of trespassing ne'er-do-wells. If I hadn't been armed, well, let's just say things wouldn't have turned out as rosy.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©