3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Do you take a firearm for back up?  (Read 1450 times)

Offline ArkyBob

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Do you take a firearm for back up?
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2010, 02:24:00 PM »
I carry most of the time(have permit) that I am bow hunting.  There's one in my truck nearly 100% of the time.I carry one not so much for backup on 4 legged but for 2 legged dangers.

BOB
"There are some that can live without wild things, and some that cannot."  -  Aldo Leopold

Offline Encino Man

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2010, 02:26:00 PM »
I carry 24-7. In Texas you can carry concealed during bow hunting season as long as you have a CHL. And I believe in gun season you can carry open on the hunting premises.
Fox Archery "Red Fox"
53# @ 28" 64" longbow
Browning "Safari II"
44# @ 28" 60" Recurve

Offline NorthernCaliforniaHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2010, 02:29:00 PM »
Folks, this is the problem:

Most believe the Second Amendment gives us the right to bear arms. THIS IS NOT THE CASE AT ALL!!

The Second Amendment guarantees a right we naturally have. The right to defend ourselves and our loved ones from all threats! How the British, Australians and Canadians allowed their governments to deny them this God-given right is something I just don't understand. Statistically they gained no security and lost substantial freedom. Now the criminals and tyrants are the ones who are safe.

I for one will take my chances with 12 jurors than be carried by 6 pallbearers. And to the UN, George Soros and the rest of the Saul Alinsky adherents, I say "Molon Labe!"
"...there are no words that can tell the hidden spirit of the wilderness, that can reveal its mystery, it's melancholy, and its charm." Theodore Roosevelt

Find me at ShareTheBounty

« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2010, 02:38:00 PM »
I don't like loud noises so I dread having to shoot a gun without ear protection. I have more faith in counter assault for bears than my ability to quick draw a handgun and I am more accurate with my bow.  Do I have guns, you bet I do, and I am a good shot.  Would I defend myself, my property, or anyone else that needed my help absolutely.  I do not claim to be a bigger man just because of a gun, but be warned, we are losing are liberties incrementally and we need to wakeup to the threat that nothing that is coming out lately that is helping the common man, like the new insurance bill.  It disturbs me to see belligerent behavior from some, but it is evidence of a deteriorating society that feels oppression.
BACK TO THE THREAD I believe Counter Assault would be a better defense against a bear attack.

Offline Chris Shelton

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2010, 02:43:00 PM »
Northern cali hunter, I just emailed the NRA, you guys are in a similar boat like MD.  Our big problem is that there is no "right to bear arms" in our state consitution.  Mabye the lawmakers just dont get it?  Baltimore has the highest crime rate in America!  The only thing that has lowered the crime rate was the 4 feet of snow we had this winter.  We broke a record, one whole week without a murder!  Look at other states that can carry, there crime rates are low.  But maryland representatives are to stupid to do something about it.  

one of these days I am going to draw a bear permit.  I will be hunting with my bow, on the ground, spot and stalk, and I dont care how good of a shot you are.  But even if you make a good shot, that bear is not going to die instantly.  When you are within 20 yards, it would be nice to have something extra in your belt?  That is my main concern.  But I guess if I cant carry a sidearm, I will carry my 70# mamoth and do a tim wells(head shot) :biglaugh: -just kidding, he is a mad man!
~Chris Shelton
"By failing to prepare you are preparing to fail"~Ben Franklin

Offline jim ratcliff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2010, 02:43:00 PM »
virginia says if you have a concealed carry permit you can carry a handgun in archery and muzzleloader season. in this day and time with all the crime and loonys running around....yes i carry a sidearm while hunting and its not for hunting...its for my peice of mind and personal safety.
Here in V.a. last year a month or so before bow season two virginia tech students were found dead on national forest and the killer hasnt been caught yet...not saying a gun woulda saved them but it may have made a difference. oh yeah,my wife hunts and she also has a carry permit and a .380!  :thumbsup:
well....let's go let the air out'a one!

Offline string bean

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2010, 02:54:00 PM »
Originally posted by lpcjon2:
If you dont miss you dont need one.And if there are other things you would need that for change your hunting grounds.In jersey if you get caught with a  sidearm during any season  you will be prosecuted,They love the money from that fine.
So you can't even hunt with a sidearm?  :(
It's not about the kill but the experience.

Omega Royal Huntsman
Crowned Eagle
Black Hunter
70's Bear Kodiak Hunter

Offline longbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2010, 02:55:00 PM »
You can carry while bowhunting in PA with a concealed permit.  I've never felt it necessary to have a gun with me for any reason but I carry all the time because I can.  I would just hate to be that family in a resturant somewhere that was wiped out because nobody had a way to protect themselves from the nut case who decided to kill everybody!

Offline Muleyslayer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2010, 03:00:00 PM »
Ohio State Patrol came out and said point blank that ccw has helped with crime in Ohio. Many of my friends are police officers and they all say its good for the people to carry,and I my friends don't leave the house without  my FN40,wether to hunt,fish, or swim.
"LUCK"
When preparation meets opportunity

Offline Missouri Bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: March 25, 2010, 03:01:00 PM »
Not legal in Missouri during archery season.

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: March 25, 2010, 03:05:00 PM »
String Bean, nope not in Jersey.But you can carry and posses a firearm in and on your property in defense of your home.So you could walk around your yard with a loaded gun(as long as it's registered)and have no problems.
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline Molson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: March 25, 2010, 03:20:00 PM »
I'm armed in church!  Unfortunately I know what goes on in our neighborhoods and ain't none of it pretty.  Public land and National forests are havens for the worst offenders. I don't carry for critters, I carry for creepers... And you should too!
"The old ways will work in the future, but the new ways have never worked in the past."

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: March 25, 2010, 04:24:00 PM »
Originally posted by Chris Shelton:
we cant carry at all in Maryland, We do have a permit, but listen to this, in MD self defense is none existant- keep that in mind!  So the only way to get a concealed weapons permit is if your life has been threatened, and you are in danger.  The threat must be reported to the police, and you need a witness.  

If your life is in danger, and you are carrying a deadly weapon, and that threat becomes a active threat, what are you going to do?  Hmm sounds like you are probably going to defend yourself?  And then you will probably get charged with murder, or something like that.  I hate my state!
I so tired of that kind of BS!!!
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: March 25, 2010, 04:42:00 PM »
You guys that carry because you are worried about people must hunt in some bad places.  ;)

I am not too worried about anything if I got a bow and a quiver of broadhead tipped arrows with me.Always going to have a knife or two as well.I guess I could see some concern if hunting on a bordor state but around here the bad elements are in town not in the woods.  :D
....Quality deer management means shooting them before they get tough....

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: March 25, 2010, 04:48:00 PM »
Lets keep it on track... Should've made this a poll I guess.
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: March 25, 2010, 04:52:00 PM »
Here in the People's Republic of Illinois we are not allowed to have a handgun on our person or in our vehicle unless it is in a locked case. I feel no need to have one bowhunting here but coming into my driveway or leaving my office late at night is a different matter...I can't say I follow that law ALL the time  ;)
Mike Davenport

Offline twitchstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: March 25, 2010, 05:14:00 PM »
;)  I have had issues with these "trouble youth" groups out back country. Pretty ugle to watch someone beat down for a candy bar.Cougar and bear don't bug me it the crazy's.

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: March 25, 2010, 05:16:00 PM »
Usually we do if we are hunting buffalo.
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Offline SveinD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: March 25, 2010, 05:23:00 PM »
Sidearms not legal in Norway at all, but then neither is bowhunting anything but pike ^^
Then again, we don't need sidearms.. only 30-50 murders per year, so we're pretty safe I guess..
75 % of those murders are domestic violence type stuff which wouldn't be stopped by a gun anyway.

I watched that Fred Eichler vid, and I'm guessing he's glad he had a pistol that day! I'd be soiled after something like that..
Centaur 58" Glass XTL 40@28

~Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand~ Kurt Vonnegut

Offline frankwright

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: March 25, 2010, 05:26:00 PM »
I carry all the time regardless of what I am doing.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©