3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Do you take a firearm for back up?  (Read 1448 times)

Offline NorthernCaliforniaHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Do you take a firearm for back up?
« Reply #40 on: March 25, 2010, 05:32:00 PM »
The back-country of California is crawling with Mexico's drug cartels. Perhaps if pot is legalized in our state come November the customer base will disappear. I dunno, sad really. I have encountered illicit gardens on several occasions and have been fortunate enough to slip out before anyone saw me. The growers are well armed and don't give a hoot about laws or restrictions.
"...there are no words that can tell the hidden spirit of the wilderness, that can reveal its mystery, it's melancholy, and its charm." Theodore Roosevelt

Find me at ShareTheBounty

Offline BWD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: March 25, 2010, 06:32:00 PM »
Yep, more concerned about what might be waiting at the truck,etc. than critters in the woods, with the exception of packed up dogs.
"If I had tried a little harder and practiced a little more, by now I could have been average"...Me

Offline Jon Stewart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: March 25, 2010, 06:38:00 PM »
I believe the only time you can carry a sidearm while bowhunting in Michigan is when you are Bear hunting and you must have hunter orange on.  You can have your bow and gun at the same time.

I don't while bear hunting to answer your question but I do carry while roaming the woods.

Offline Jedimaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: March 25, 2010, 07:08:00 PM »
I don't always carry a sidearm but do on occasion.  I've been in some hairy situations when crossing paths with the wrong human element in the woods.  There are a variety of reasons which include: dope heads, trespassers, poachers and squatters (folks living in tents .. that are usually dope heads).  

Never felt the need to have a back-up for hunting puposes but there is very little critter danger here in Mississippi.  Unfortunately the lower elements of our society do frequent the woods.
Do or do not ... there is no "try"

Cum catapulatae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: March 25, 2010, 07:11:00 PM »
Juan's right my ranch in Lake County (northern cal) is a pot grower paradise, lot's of BLM and National Forest.

Anyway my Glock20 10mm lives with me.....I have never had to use it to defend myself from a four legged animal.....
The American system of democracy will prevail until that moment when politicians discover that they can bribe the electorate with their own money

Offline Bowhunter4life

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: March 25, 2010, 07:39:00 PM »
Depends on where I'm at, what I'm after, and what else is in the area I'm hunting.  I've never had to use it, but have drawn it a time or two...

I've also got a 6" knife I put on the side of my calf when spot and stalking hogs...
"Bowhunting isn't a hobby or a sport... It's a way of life!"

Quote: "Everything you read on the internet is the truth." -Abraham Lincoln

>>>-TGMM Family of the Bow--->

Offline sendero25

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: March 25, 2010, 07:40:00 PM »
Yep, we have Skunk Apes, swamp monsters, and saber toothed woodpeckers..can't be too careful!
Seriously though,I usually only carry when I am hog hunting and really want pork..if a hog is out of range of my bow, I will shoot one with the pistol. Never needed one for protection against a Florida pig. It is legal to carry during the archery season, but I don't carry a handgun with me, it is on my ATV or in my truck though.

"I'm not very smart but I can lift heavy things"

"I'm not as smart as I look"

quotes by my good friend Clay Miller from Valentine, TX

Offline gregg dudley

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: March 25, 2010, 08:45:00 PM »
I usually find it to be a pain in the neck to carry a handgun while bowhunting, but have done so on occassion when I felt the need.  We had a pack of aggressive feral dogs on one property that I hunted.  After getting growled at in the dark on the way to my stand I started carrying a pistol until the problem was sorted out.
MOLON LABE

Traditional Bowhunters Of Florida
Come shoot with us!

Offline Outwest

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: March 25, 2010, 08:50:00 PM »
I carry most of the time when hunting and all of the time when in the city.

John

Offline trashwood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: March 25, 2010, 08:56:00 PM »
I am with Cosater500, Glock 20.  The farther south in Texas I go, the better it feels.  Where I used to hunt pigs down I35, 30 minutes from the border, I would not even over night camp there now, armed or not.  Even 10 yrs ago there were a lot of voices in the night.  

10 yrs ago myself, Dean Torges and Lou were hunting the area.  We were spot and stalking not 200 yds from the truck. when we got back the truck had been broken into and expensive gear taken.  there was evidence of over night camps ever 200 yds are so.  after I got home that was the time I got my chl.  

rusty

Offline Shedrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: March 25, 2010, 08:58:00 PM »
I slept with a 12 gauge on my moose hunt here in Wyoming. I was in grizz infested country. I had one huffin' outside my tent one night, but never had to use the gun. I never packed the shotgun while hunting, it wouldn't feel right to me. I did have pepper spray though.
Member of;
Comptons
Pope and Young
PBS
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
and Life member of Bowhunters Of Wyoming

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: March 25, 2010, 09:02:00 PM »
I sometimes carry, but not usually when hunting on my own property. Usually when I do carry its a short barreled .38 loaded with snake shot. Put me on some of the public land,though, and it's  the .45 auto on the hip. I have been challenged in the woods by both intruding hunters and wild dogs.
Sam

Offline elknutz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: March 25, 2010, 09:02:00 PM »
Occasionally.
"There is no excellence in archery without great labor" - Maurice Thompson
"I avoid anything that make my dogs gag" - Dusty Nethery

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: March 25, 2010, 09:03:00 PM »
It's a pain in the neck, but to a woman alone in the woods (I started hunting when I was still young and fetching) it is a comfort. I got my CCW permit as soon as I could. I am not so young now, and far less fetching, but my store of plunder might be temptation enough for unsavory types, and lead to unhappy consequences.

Bow and knife are fine for big strong men, but a .45 puts us all on the same level.

Killdeer   :thumbsup:
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline Bonebuster

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: March 25, 2010, 09:47:00 PM »
God bless you Killdeer!!!

Everyone who carries a firearm at any time for personal defense, is actually protecting the public in general. Who is...who aint.

For those on the red road, it is of no matter. For the others, they must wonder.

Instinctive shooting is good for weapons other than a stickbow!!!  :D    :D    :D

Offline DesertDude

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: March 25, 2010, 09:50:00 PM »
I carry a 44Mag. Just like the head stone in "Tomestone" Here lays Les Moore, 4 shots from a 44, no Les, no Moore...... I live in the desert and see alot of knuckleheads around.
DesertDude >>>----->

US Navy (Retired)
1978-1998

Offline Spectre

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: March 25, 2010, 09:52:00 PM »
I don't know about Virginia, but its illegal during archery-only season in Idaho.
Gila hickory selfbow 54#
 Solstice reflex/deflex 45#

Offline joe ashton

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: March 25, 2010, 10:04:00 PM »
I asked our local DOW officer if I could carry a gun while bow hunting.  She said "yes this America and that is protected by the Constitution"  I was particularlly interested as I had a bear license and wanted to carry a fire arm on the tracking job IF I shot a bear.  She said-- "but if you shoot that bear in self- defence you better be bleeding"
That being said   NO I DON'T CARRY GUNS.

Joe
Joe Ashton,D.C.
 pronghorn long bow  54#
 black widow long bow 55#
 21 century long bow 55#
 big horn recurve  58#

Online chinook907

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: March 25, 2010, 10:12:00 PM »
I don't like to but sometimes I do in our area if I'm hunting moose (calling sometimes attracts brown bears) or if I'm where I feel I'm more likely to bump a brownie.  Pretty common that when I'm up on a mt chasing blackies when it gets towards dark I see a brownie down low heading to the river for a salmon dinner, often right in my path down, not a good feeling.  They are more aggressive than typical locally.  Last fall, I was taking pics of a blackie I just got with my bow, looked down the mt and I thought "Hey thats no beaver crossing the lake".  Looked with my binos and it was a toad of a brownie out in the lake directly below me.  Just had my widow and a pig sticker on me.

Heres the pic, pretty grainy.  And it gets better...    

Next day I came back to pack the hide & meat out, had a handgun in my pack (duh), was in some stunted trees and heard some branches breaking and I was appparently so close to likely the same brownie THAT I COULD HEAR HIM SNIFFING THE AIR TRYING TO GET MY SCENT.  Thankfully he moved off and never saw him, I got the handgun out but of course it easily might not have been quick enough.  I will be going after them likely this fall (brownies) but in an area that is not a drawing permit (our's is) and with said handgun on my hip.
"Have I not commanded you ? Be strong and courageous.  Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go." Joshua 1:9

Offline limbolt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: March 25, 2010, 10:14:00 PM »
Carry at all times,and not for the critters. I think we are now # 3 for pot production,have found several patches,so far no trouble but you never know.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©