3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Arrows of different weights, what's the limit?  (Read 440 times)

Offline FrankM

• Trad Bowhunter
Arrows of different weights, what's the limit?
« on: March 25, 2010, 03:42:00 PM »
I have these old arrows, some Gamegetters at 540 grains and some Gamegetter 2's at 506 grains. I want to practice with them and possibly hunt. Will the weight difference throw me off too much? Should I add 40 grains to the Gamegetter 2's?

Offline NorthernCaliforniaHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Arrows of different weights, what's the limit?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2010, 03:56:00 PM »
For me, the "limit" depends on arrow flight. If they both fly well then use both.

I mix it up on purpose for the following reason:

If you pick up a stone you've never held and chuck it, without needing to practice you will hit what you're throwing at given it's within range of your ability to accurately throw that stone. Pick up another one, same thing. Somehow our brains compensate for the weight and shape of the stone, and we throw it without thinking. For arrows, I've found that if I don't over-think the shot and I trust that the same part of my brain that knows how to throw a particular stone will also know how high to hold for the shot given an unknown arrow weight, I hit what I'm looking at.

Just a theory, but I think exercising that trust and instinct is what makes for a good traditional archer and is the reason I love this sport so much - it's not about the gadgets but more about the feeling. Go with your gut.
"...there are no words that can tell the hidden spirit of the wilderness, that can reveal its mystery, it's melancholy, and its charm." Theodore Roosevelt

Find me at ShareTheBounty

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2010, 04:08:00 PM »
Try them......only way to see if they are going to be good for you or not. If they fly well, so be it. 40grs. isn't alot just see what happens. Shoot them a distance that you would feel comfortable shooting at what ever it is that your hunting.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2010, 04:40:00 PM »
Overall weight isn't nearly as important as matched spines. I have two sets of arrows using different shafts and heads built for the same bow, one set is about 680gr ea, the other about 630gr each. Both are tuned to the bow as good as I am capable. The difference out to 20 yards is less than a coke can...cuz they both will turn one inside out without me thinking about which arrow is which.
"Being there was good enough..." Charlie Lamb reflecting on a hunt
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2010, 04:58:00 PM »
I shoot a variety of arrows, spines and weights out of the same bows.  It doesn't give me much problem as I've come to know how each flies and adjust accordingly. Now this is just crapping around.  I use matched woodies to hunt big game.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2010, 06:36:00 PM »
With properly spined arrows I doubt you would detect a difference between 550 gn and 600 gn out to 25 yds.

Offline FrankM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2010, 07:05:00 PM »
Playing with Stu's calculator, making a couple of changes to the Gamegetter 1's, they match up almost exactly with the Gamegetter II's. Weight is only about 20 grains different.

Awesome tool. Again, thanks for the help guys!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©