3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: percentage of FOC ?  (Read 706 times)

Offline Soilarch

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: percentage of FOC ?
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2010, 09:04:00 PM »
Me and Rob are gonna sound like a tag-team...but:

Leave those arrows ALONE!!!   :pray:  

*IF* you wanna go down that road this soon, that's great.  But buy you a second set to "tinker" with.

Trust me, it's worth it.  I've been there.

You end up with a lot of time, headache, and money into a dozen arrows and when it's time to hunt you only have 2 or 3 "tuned" arrows AND EVEN WORSE you've not been practicing with those arrows...you've spent all your time shooting "experiment arrows" instead of practicing and ingraining your hunting arrows.

This leads to a 180-ish" buck 12 yards from your stand and you shooting 2 feet over his back.   :mad:   Sickening, embarrassing, and not really ethical.
Micah 6:8

Offline Jason R. Wesbrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2010, 09:17:00 PM »
Originally posted by Stiks-n-Strings:

My arrows  are spined at 65-70 and are shooting great where I'm at. My question is if I take off an inch, How much does that stiffen my spine and how much weight will I have to add to the front to keep it shooting right.

The general rule of thumb (at least for wood arrows) is that every 1" of shaft length, or 35 grains of tip weight, changes dynamic spine by 5#.

Offline John3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2010, 10:28:00 PM »
I am retentive regarding perfect arrow flight.  Flight with broadheads.  I tune my arrows with broadheads installed and will accept nothing less than straight down the middle.  No nock left/right and only impacting in the middle.  I did the math and my set up is 14.8% FOC with Zwickeys.
Spend the time and effort to get perfect arrow flight no matter what the numbers say. A sharp broadhead flying straight to the kill zone will get it done every time. If you have that then be pleased and good shooting.
A perfectly flying medium to heavy arrow will be deadly on game.  I spend the time to get my finished arrows a bit heavy and flying perfect.  I have had a pass through shot on every animal I've ever killed with a traditional bow... I have another year before I chase Elk but deer and bears my arrows pass through like butter...

John III
"There is no excellence in Archery without great labor".  Maurice Thompson 1879

Professional Bowhunters Society--Regular Member
United Bowhunters of Missouri
Compton Life Member #333

Offline Stiks-n-Strings

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2010, 12:08:00 AM »
All right Soilarch and Rob win.
 I'm leaving them alone. I think I'm good for turkey this spring, deer this fall, and hopefully bear next year.

Thanks for all the input guys time to let this one alone and go fling some arras   :bigsmyl:
Striker stinger 58" 55# @ 28
any wood bow I pick off the rack.
 2 Cor. 10:4
 TGMM Family of The Bow
 MK, LLC Shareholder
Proud Member of the Twister Twelve

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©