3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Howard Hill-The making of TEMBO-part#1  (Read 3806 times)

Offline jerry hill

• Trad Bowhunter
Howard Hill-The making of TEMBO-part#1
« on: March 25, 2010, 06:55:00 PM »
It was late 1949, Howard Hill had held onto a childhood dream ever since he was 4 years old. When Poppa (his daddy)had carried him and his brothers and sisters by wagon to see the circus animals pass through his hometown of Wilsonville,Alabama. He had dreamed that someday he would kill an elephant with his bow and arrow. This childhood dream burned long and hard in his mind. When a young boy, he had told his daddy that someday he would do this very thing, his daddy had told him that he didn't think that under modern times it had ever been done. If he were to ever try such a thing, his daddy advised, he better talk to somebody that had more authority on such things or else he might get killed. Howard had asked his daddy who that might be. His daddy said, "The man upstairs GOD".
   Now that Howard was 49 years old and soon would be turning 50. He knew that if he were to ever do it, it had to be now. He had talked about this for years, with his closest friends and they all new how dear this dream was to him. Many wanted to go with him as well. Even his own brother Onnie, told him, "You know how much I love to hunt" "Why I love to hunt as much as you""and you know I'm a good shot with a rifle" You'l need backup". "Howard, I'll do anything you ask of me" "Please let me go with you"."It will be my only chance in life". Howard told his brother,"Onnie","as you already know" "I love you, but I can't". "I've got to boss grown men around". "I know how you'll be". "You'll be wanting to go out hunting as much as me"."I won't be able to tell you no".
   Howard wanted to make another motion picture film of his own. He had made his first, when he was 34 years old titled, "The Last Wilderness". This picture had launched him to stardom and had opened alot of doors for him afterwards. Even people he had grown up with around his hometown, didn't take him serious and made fun of him. They would say things like, "Look at Howard, playing with that kids toy". Everything changed  after he made that first picture. Everyone now considered him to be a blood relative of some sorts, if you know what I mean.
   He and Errol Flynn had been in business after the making of The Adventures of Robin Hood in 1938. The name of the production company was Flynn-Hill productions. They had produced and filmed many short subject films that would be shown at theaters around the world, between regular shown pictures. The short films always showed Howard's proness with the bow and arrow. Errol Flynn accompanied him on many of the short films.Ronald Reagan, an up and coming actor in his own right, had agreed to narrate for Howard on a couple.
   He had won 196 archery tournaments in a row without a single defeat. He had already killed most every type of animal in north America, Mexico, and British Columbia. the largest animal he had killed thus far, was an elephant seal and the smallest was a flying hummingbird.
    Sports authorities had written, that he was the "World's Greatest Archer". Some said that if in fact "Robin Hood" did ever exist, Howard Hill could match arrows with this noted archer as well. His legacy was great and doubtful by this writer, that we as archers will ever see anyone better than him, at shooting the bow and arrow. He accredited his ability with having found his God given gift.He was an archery "Rock Star", by todays diffination. There are alot of good archers today, but no one will ever fill his shoes or even come close. If someone doubts this statement, then they should do the research, before making any doubting remarks. Howard Hill was a legend in his own time. Your not a legend and shouldn't consider yourself to be legendary, until you have done something legendary. Today as we all know, most everything I can think of, has already been done by one of the early archery pioneers in the past. This being said, I feel it great to participate in such a wonderful sport, as archery. A sport, as is the case of a country, has no future without a proud past to build upon.
   Howard knew how movies were made. He knew that in order to get a large production company to back his plans and make a safari picture. He would first half to have a good script or story, in order for them to be willing to back him.
   Howard spent long hours writting the story that he thought they would go for. He decided that he may half to write in a love angle of somesorts, as most always had a beautiful actress included in the story line.
    Finally he had the story completed and it had included african animals being killed with bow and arrow. He had made sure that the African elephant was included, so that his lifelong dream could be fullfilled.
   Early on, in preparation of being able to kill as elephant. He knew that he would need the right bow and arrow to succeed. He built for himself a new bow that weighed in at 115 lbs. pull and named it "Gran Ma". He was comfortable with this weight and knew that he could handle it, no matter at what time or place, he was called to do so. His friend Jim Easton helped in designing a special 24SRTX aluminum arrow shaft, that they both felt sure would stand the test on the elephant.
   Howard had spent many hours in a local machine shop and built several special broadheads of his trusted design, only differance being it was made one piece and of larger size. The total length of the completed arrow from tip of nock to tip of arrowhead, was 41 inches. The arrow weighed in at approx. 1700 grains. While testing, he had been able to shoot the arrow, measured to the point, through five automobile tire casings. Also his setup was capable of shooting through 10 bales of hay. he felt he had what he needed. All he needed now was an elephant, he thought to himself.
   As luck would have it, he heard on the news that an elephant had died in a Chicago zoo. Here was his chance, he thought. He called and made arrangements to fly to Chicago. The zoo would let him test his equipment on the dead elephant, to make sure it would do the job.
    Once there he found that the best place for him to shoot an elephant, was between the ribs, behind the shoulder. He hoped that once he made the shot, he didn't hit a rib, as he found they were like automobile bumpers. Also he learned from the zoo authorities, that it was on average 11 inches between an elephant's eyes and its brain. The best penetration he was able to achieve in testing was 7 inches, making a brain shot impossible. The only chance he would have if confronted with a death charge, would be through the eyesocket angling into the brain. The shot would be avoided, unless no other choice be at hand.
   Now that his testing and preparations had been finished, it was time to approach a major production company and try to get their support.
   Howard felt sure of himself and figured they would like his idea. He needed no introduction as he walked into Jack Warner's office, at Warner Brothers studio. Mr Warner got up from behind his desk when Howard entered his office and said, "Hello Howard" "What you been up to lately"? Howard replied,"Well I've written a story and would like to see a picture made from it". Warner said,"Sounds great" "Let me call over my assistants and we'll go over what you have".
    A few minutes passed and then two men walked in. Howard spent the next hour and a half trying to sell them on his idea and plans. They listened closely and when Howard finally finished, they told him it sounded great, but had just one problem. In the story as expected, he would be the leading man, which was fine with them. But, he would also kill an elephant with his bow and arrow. One of the fellows told him that if he would forget about the elephant kill, they may have a deal in the works. It would be to risky if left in the picture as the leading man possibly could be killed, ruining the picture.He told them that he had dreamed all his life about doing this and there was no way that he would back down now. The meeting was over. Howard told them that he would go another way and the nest time they heard anything more about him, would be of his success. They wished him luck and he left disapointed, but still determined.
   Howard's next visit was with Walt Disney of Disney Productions. Walt knew Howard and his expertise. He wondered why Howard wanted to talk to him, not giving out any information in advance.
   Howard entered Walt Disney's office and in a short time had gone over his ideas and reason for the called meeting. Walt listened and told Howard that it was an interesting story, but no one would be interested in a animal picture. He thanked him for coming by and wished him luck.
   Howard, never did care much for Walt Disney afterwards. Reason being, before Howard could finish his picture titled "TEMBO", Walt Disney had come out with his own elephant film, not titled "TEMBO" but, "DUMBO" the flying elephant. Prior to this meeting, Walt Disney's pictures had been on subjects like "SNOW WHITE" and etc. Howard figured in his own mind, that Walt had stole an idea from him. Maybe he was right, I don't know.
   Still not giving up he went to see his old friend Errol Flynn. He explained what he wanted to do."Errol, I want to go to Africa and kill that darn elephant,you've heard me talk so much about, and make a picture. Errol said to Howard, "Its about time" "When you leaving"? Howard answered, "As soon as I can come up with the money I figure it will take".Errol then said, "How much do you figure"? Howard said,"I figure if I can come up with $250,000.00 and mortgage everything else I own" "I will have enough money to make the picture". Errol looked at his book keeper and told him to write out the check. The book keeper protested, and told Errol that it would be a mistake. He argued, if Howard were to get killed, "You'll loose it all", "with nothing to back it up". Errol Flynn looked at the book keeper and said, "Give me the check book" "I'll write the check". Errol continued, "Howard's word on the payback, is all I need". A year and a half later, Howard walked back into Flynn's office and paid him back in full. Errol Flynn charged him no interest.
     Today, one must realize that $250,000.00 in 1950 was alot of money and would probably be equal to severl millions today.
   Howard went to Africa and fullfilled his childhood and lifelong dream and made a magnificant motion picture film. The year was 1950 when he made the trip and it was the same year that Warner Brother's came out with their own Safari picture titled "King Solemon's Mine". It was still showing when Howard premired "TEMBO" across the street from where Warner's picture was playing. At first there wasn't many people getting in line to buy tickets to "TEMBO". They were lined up on the sidewalk across the street to see the other picture, once the ticket office opened.
   Howard, seeing this began to think, "I've got to do something". So, he got two bullseye targets that he planned to shoot at on stage, before he showed his movie. Next he tied a rope to each and hoisted them up to the top of the theater sign on each side. he got a man to drive up the street and turn around and head back by the theater sign. Howard, standing in the backseat of the convertible automobile he owned at the time. He had instructed the theater projection operator to set up a large speaker in the upstairs window and turn on the picture where the animals in the film would be hollowing loudly. Howard rode back and forth in front of the theater shooting one bullseye after another with each pass in the automobile. With all the noise and seeing a "Wild Man" riding shotgun in an automobile, shooting his bow and arrow. The crowd crossed the street to Howard's side. After emptying his quiver, Howard jumped from the car and told the crowd. "If you liked this show, get yourself a ticket and come on inside to see the real show". During the showing of Tembo, it sold 10 tickets to 1 against Warner's picture across the street.
   Warner called Howard back into their office immediately and offered to reimburse him on his investment in the picture, if he would let them handle it for him. He told them, "I came to you in the beginning and ask for your help", "and you turned me down". "I had to go it alone". "Now that I have and have succeeded, I'll go the rest of the way alone". Howard bid them fairwell and walked out, making several million dollars along the way.Jerry Hill......

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Howard Hill-The making of TEMBO-part#1
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2010, 07:06:00 PM »
Jerry, You keep the legend alive for all of us to enjoy.Thank You
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline Ric O'Shay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2010, 07:16:00 PM »
Jerry,
Thank you for sharing Mr. Hill's innermost thoughts and feelings.
Danny
I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just.   - Thomas Jefferson

Offline todd smith

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2010, 07:42:00 PM »
Jerry,

Great stuff.  I haven't seen you in quite a while.  I suppose ever since the Great Lakes Longbow Invitational moved away from Marshall, MI.

Glad to see you're still around and very pleased that you're sharing the old stories.

Keep 'em coming.  todd
todd smith

Live wild live free

www.ToddSmithCo.com

Online Ben Maher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2010, 08:01:00 PM »
keep 'em coming Jerry!
Ben
" All that is gold does not glitter , not all those who wander are lost "
J.R.R TOLKIEN

Offline vtmtnman

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2010, 08:20:00 PM »
I enjoy your stories Jerry. :thumbsup:
>>>>--TGMM family of the bow--->

Offline rpembert

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2010, 09:33:00 PM »
He is not done with the story.    When I talked to him he still had 10 pages to type!!!!

Joshua

Offline Missouri Bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2010, 09:46:00 PM »
Thanks Jerry.

Online Ken Taylor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2010, 10:48:00 PM »
Jerry, I love reading your stories but please, make it easier to read by putting some spaces between the lines occasionally.
May your next adventure lighten your heart, test your spirit, and nourish your soul.

Offline rpembert

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2010, 10:52:00 PM »
Bump

Offline jerry hill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2010, 10:57:00 PM »
Sorry Ken, Josh is going to show me how to set up my computer to do it for me. Please keep in mind, I'm just glad I can get it on here, without loosing it, hitting the wrong button. This I have done twice with this story and had to start over.But for archers like yourself, I keep trying one more time and hope to not make the same mistake as before.So please bare with me.Jerry Hill..........

Offline Jerry Wald

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2010, 11:40:00 PM »
Awesome story Jerry. Might be better to do it on a word program that you can save as you go and then cut and paste later

Just a thought. Doesn't matter to me..just glad you are doing it...I just know what it's like to type something in and then lose it...

I know sometimes when it's late and I am posting a reply and i am a bit tired i hit the wrong button and it's all gone...Then usually I am too tired to do it all again so I don't.

Jer Bear

Offline sou-pawbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2010, 11:59:00 PM »
Well told, thank you.
Molon labe

Offline Hud

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • 360-921-5779
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2010, 12:34:00 AM »
Great story and will be waiting to hear more. Thanks.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline HUNT 24/7

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2010, 01:08:00 AM »
I don't care if it's upside down & backwards, thank you for taking the time to post your stories of Howard, I love it.

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2010, 02:27:00 AM »
Thank you, Jerry. I sure am enjoying this story.
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2010, 05:34:00 AM »
oh, i thought this topic was about making a tembo bow.  oops.     :cool:
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline jerry hill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2010, 08:33:00 AM »
Ben. is that a wild jack ass in your picture that you killed? Howard Hill use to hunt them out west in the desert. I have a story about this that you will surely enjoy.Jerry
Hill.................
Rob, I'll try to do that next time.Jerry Hill........

Offline turkey522

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2010, 08:38:00 AM »
Thanks for sharing,enjoy reading about Howard's adventures.Keep them coming.

Offline DannyBows

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2010, 08:52:00 AM »
Great story Jerry! We really appreciate your taking the time to share these with us. Can't wait to buy your book when it's done.
"Always feel the wind, and walk just like the leaves".  ("LongBow Country"--Chad Slagle, "High, Wild, and Free").

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©