3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Howard Hill-The making of TEMBO-part#1  (Read 3805 times)

Offline jerry hill

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Howard Hill-The making of TEMBO-part#1
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2010, 08:59:00 AM »
Jerry, that's what josh was telling me last night, when I kept hitting the wrong key and haven to start over. believe me before I finished, i was almost blue in the face.Jerry Hill.....
Thank you all for your continued support of my writtings. I enjoy writting them as much as you enjoy reading them. Hearing from you, all around the world gives me such a connection with our sport that I've never experienced before. I think that computers are great.Jerry Hill.............

Offline Renaissance Man

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2010, 09:47:00 AM »
Thanks Mr. Hill, been a pleasure seeing these again, grew up with a love of Howard Hill and have passed on that tradition to my sons.
And yes communication today is a wonderful thing

Offline longbowleo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2010, 09:54:00 AM »
Great Story Jerry don't worry about putting space's between the lines it was easy to read.
I think everyone appreciate's your efforts and can't thank you enough.

Offline PrarrieDog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2010, 12:35:00 PM »
and the legend lives on. Thanks Jerry it is appreciated.
JW

Offline WarDancer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2010, 01:23:00 PM »
I wish you still had the shoot in Wilsonville. We were the venders that sold the Native American jewelry. We were there for the last two years. WarDancer

Offline mjc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2010, 01:56:00 PM »
Thanks for taking the time I am looking forward to the next part of the story

Offline Geo S

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2010, 03:53:00 PM »
Thanks for the story Jerry. Makes me want to want to watch Tembo again, after hearing this new info on the making and promoting of it.

George

Offline rushlush

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2010, 04:28:00 PM »
Thank you for another great story!

Online Ken Taylor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2010, 05:36:00 PM »
Thanks sincerely Jerry.

I understand your difficulty with the computer. I'm just an old bush guy trying to learn new tricks too. Sometimes I feel like throwing it out the window. What holds me back is then I won't have the privilege to be in contact with people like you and Tradgang.

Your efforts are appreciated even way the heck up here (a small isolated native community in the Northern Quebec bush).
May your next adventure lighten your heart, test your spirit, and nourish your soul.

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2010, 07:26:00 PM »
Yep, Jerry, it sure is. It's a feral African Wild Ass (donkey) - the one with the cross of Christ on the back. We have something like 5-million roaming our country. I'd love to hear your story about Howard and his donks!
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: March 26, 2010, 08:16:00 PM »
Jerry, I was at the Wilsonville shoot the year you got a computer to tally the scores on, and I remember your frustration when it rounded off all the averages after the second round so it didn't give an accurate number. Keep after it, and keep those stories coming! These blasted things do get easier with time.
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Offline jerry hill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: March 26, 2010, 08:24:00 PM »
ben, man I'd love to be there hunting them jack's with you. Please write my name on one of your arrows and shoot it through one, so that I may be with you at least in spirit.also keep me posted on your hunting as I'm really interested in this.Jerry Hill....
Ken, thank you for your comments. I didn't know that two tin cans tied with a bowstring between them, could send a message so far.Isn't it amazing how technology has advanced. Please email me or something and keep me posted as to your doing's. I'll think of something for us to talk about and pass the time, and you do the same.Jerry Hill.......
Wardancer, I remember you being at the Howard Hill World tournament. Jan and I sure do miss seeing everyone and often wonder where everybody is these days. So how is everything in New Mexico?Jerry hill................

Offline Raminshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: March 26, 2010, 08:46:00 PM »
Jerry and Ben,
I spent some time in S. California with a lot of great longbow shooters and great trad archers.  I was fortunate to meet, shoot and hunt with many old timers that remember Howard and some people that hung out with him back in the day.  Howard and others loved to hunt those wild burros in the Mohave Desert and would hunt them quite a lot from the stories I have been told.  Was also told they really liked the meat on those animals and prized it above deer meat. You can still run into those critters in the desert and they are as wild as anything out there.  One look at you moving at over a hundred yards and they are moving away at a fast pace.  Protected species even though they are overgrazing habitat for Mule Deer and Desert Bighorns.  Now, only the Mountain lion gets to hunt them.
Keep flinging those shafts!

Offline jerry hill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: March 26, 2010, 09:00:00 PM »
Ben, I sure wish I could go with you and hunt those jack's. Please put my name on one of your arrows and shoot it through one, so I can be along at least in spirit. This would please me to no end.Man I wish I were down there hunting with you. You've got it made.Jerry Hill....
Ken, Isn't it great that technology has advanced so far. I didn't know that you could take a bowstring and tie a tin can to each end and get the signal to reach so far. but, I'm glad it does, so keep me posted by email or whatever and let me know what your up to. If you need something to do just write me, we'll talk about fishing or something to keep from getting bored.Thanks for your support and comments. it keeps me coming back with something.Jerry Hill......
Wardancer,Jan and I remember you. you had some nice things for sale. I believe I bought a pair of throwing hawks off you. So, how is everything in New Mexico? We sure do miss seeing everyone at the Howard Hill World champioships. Often wonder whatever happened to everyone we new, you are one of the first that had come forward. Please stay in touch.Jerry Hill.........

Offline Jim Keller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: March 26, 2010, 09:30:00 PM »
Thanks for the story, Jerry. I've been a Howard Hill fan since a boy. My dad was, and he had an old archery magazine he kept for years( can't remember the name of it). It had a picture of Howard at Forksville, Pa. with a bunch of archers surrounding him, My dad was one of them. Wish I still had it. Keep the stories coming, I really enjoy them.
Jim

Offline jerry hill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: March 26, 2010, 10:42:00 PM »
Jim, thank you for your comments and info about your father. What was his name? I might have met him at Forksville myself. I went to the Penn. bowhunters festival there years ago and then was invited back a few years later on. The first year I was there, I shot my longbow on stage. A fellow that had thrown up a quarter for John Schultz as me if he could throw one up for me on stage that night. I told him that if he was good enough to throw for John, he could throw for me. He tossed it up about three times as I could't see it well with the poor lighting in the barn. Finally on the fourth throw I got the lighting right, over my shoulder and drove it into the haystack. Got a good applause. Several years later I was there with Ben Rogers Lee, famous turkey hunter and call maker, (Now deceased).Haven't been back since.Plan to go to the Compton Shoot this year.Jerry Hill.....

« Reply #36 on: March 27, 2010, 01:52:00 AM »
Over your shoulder on a quarter?  I have never been able to do that.  It would far to dangerous for anything within bow shot of me.

Offline toddster

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: May 10, 2010, 10:41:00 PM »
Thanks Jerry, that story means alot.  Wish I had the money to bring you and Mr. Schulz, Mr. Wesley and some of the other greats together for a dvd, where we walk a archery course and shoot arrows and tell the lost stories like that of mr. Hill and the other legends, would be great and they would never be lost.

Offline Doug Treat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: May 11, 2010, 12:18:00 AM »
Thanks, Jerry for the story.  I love to watch the old movies and read about Howard.

Offline fishnbum

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: May 11, 2010, 01:03:00 AM »
Great stuff, thanks!!!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©