3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Martin Savana  (Read 847 times)

Offline Joshua L

• Trad Bowhunter
Martin Savana
« on: April 26, 2007, 12:33:00 PM »
Hello all,
I am looking to get into traditional Archery,and need a bow, I am looking at 3 bows Chek Mate, Bob Lee and the Martin Savana, and I am leaning more toward the Martin Due to price and ability to get one quicker, Does anyone shoot a martin savana and if so how do you like them.
Thank you Josh

Offline LazerRay

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Martin Savana
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2007, 12:35:00 PM »
Shot one and I beleive they are probably Martins best trad bow. The ones I have shot atleast!!!
LR
Contempt prior to investigation leads to everlasting ignorance!
William James

Offline SCATTERSHOT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2007, 12:42:00 PM »
I have had three Savannas, and to me they are comparable to most customs. Smooth, fast, and beautiful. Martin hit a home run with this one, and I'm sure you won't be disappointed if you buy one.
"Experience is a series of non - fatal mistakes."

Offline Deadsmple

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2007, 03:08:00 PM »
The Martin is a great bow. I've never shot the other two but have heard very good things about them. If I had to choose right now I would go with the Martin.
All praise is the Lords

"to get to heaven, turn right and stay straight"

Offline CEW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2007, 04:01:00 PM »
I have a Bob Lee Hunter recurve and Stickbow. I would place both of the above the Savana's I've shot.

Offline bmfer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2007, 04:11:00 PM »
I have a Savannah and love it
Bret M. FullER

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2007, 04:23:00 PM »
I have a Savannah I think it is the best Martin I ever bought.They are fast,smooth and beautiful in my opinion.Chek-mate and Bob Lee are good bows also,but I love my Savannah.

Offline Two Arrows

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2007, 07:23:00 PM »
I've had all three and liked them all. I traded the Savannah some time back,  :knothead:  , now I'm looking for another one.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline TXRED

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2007, 09:35:00 PM »
Joshua,Do a search For "Savannah" in Product Reviews,LOTS of opinions/info there.
John
    Too young for Medicare,
    Too old for women to care

Offline razorsharptokill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2007, 10:41:00 PM »
I liked the Savannah I shot.
Jim Richards
Veteran

USMC 84-88
Oklahoma Army National Guard 88-89
USMCR 89-96 Desert Storm
Oklahoma Air National Guard 2002- present. Operation Iraqi Freedom 2005(Qatar) and 2007(Iraq),
Operation New Dawn Iraq 2011,
Operation Enduring Freedom 2018 Afghanistan.
NRA Life Member.

Offline fling

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2007, 11:08:00 PM »
I have two Check mates that I love, great bows for the money. but my Savannah is one bow I will never part with. I agree it is the best traditional bow Martin makes, you cant go wrong. Oh when I was looking I found the best price at Fox fire tratitional archery, web address wwwarrowsbykelly.con good luck!!

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2007, 05:40:00 AM »
I had a martin Savannah, i did like it but i thought it stacked at the end of my draw. I have a Bob lee hunter recurve that i like a lot. If it were me i would look for a used Savannah they can be bought reasonable for around $250 that way if you don't like it you can sell it for what you paid for it. Also don't go too heavy that is one of the mistakes i made, try to find one 45# @28 you will shoot a lighter bow better and can work on form.
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline suttoman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2007, 08:21:00 AM »
Sorry guys - I hope I don't put a spanner in the works - but I have a different opinion.

In the last six months I have ordered and received three custom bows from the States.  I guess having a point of reference allows me to make a more informed opinion regarding the Savannah.

Getting bows into Australia is a very expensive business.  Unfortunately when I ordered the Savannah - (the Australian dollar was very weak then) about 18 months ago - it cost me nearly $800 Australian dollars.  This was money that could have been spent on a much better product.

I have written this before so if you search for other savannah links you will see my comments.

When one looks down the curve of the limbs, formed by the strung bow - the arc looks like the rocky road to China.  There are many flat sections and not a nice even curve as one would expect (and present on all of my other bows).

It is very noticeable and is obviously a fault in the moulds that Martin need to rectify.  At the time I discovered this, I wrote on this site and recieved several complaints from other Savannah owners - so my bow is not a one-off.  The general quality of my Savannah is shoddy at best.  

When I contacted Martin (similiar to another T/G'er with a similiar problem), I was referred back to the Martin dealer in Australia.  My attempts in that direction to solve this problem came to a dead end.

You would be much better spending your money on a Renegade Spirit ll by Dave Nedeigh.  This bow is similiar in style and feel to the Savannah, but is a much better bow.  It is a full custom and with bamboo limbs and Cocobolo only cost me 425 USD.  Dave is a delight to deal with and my Savannah looks very  agricultural when compared to his bow.  My other two customs are in a higher level again - but they both cost more so it would be unfair to compare.

I would love to sell the Savannah but I can't honestly inflict such a shoddy bow on some poor unsuspecting customer.  

I am not bagging out Martin as a cumpany.  I really love my Martin Vision and it is in every way comparable to my more expensive custom bows.  Martin just did not get it right with my Savannah - it must have been built by the Monday evening night-crew!!

Sutto
One hour of life, crowded to the full with glorious action .... is worth whole years of those mean observances of paltry decorum, in which men steal through existence, like sluggish waters through a marsh, without either honor or observation

Offline Hardhed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2007, 11:11:00 AM »
I've had a savannah for a few months and I love it.  I feel like I'm shooting laser beams at 8gpi.

Online 58WINTERS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2007, 02:45:00 PM »
Consider a Liberty longbow by Allen Boice. Do search and you will find nothing but positive comments. libertylongbows.com

Offline Troy n Oh

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2007, 06:33:00 PM »
Of the three you mentioned I would definatley lean towards the chek-mate. Have owned a few of em and never anything but great craftsmanship and always shooters. I have owned 3 martins, savanah,mamba and a vision and i wouldn't put them in the same class. Had a bob lee stick and it was very nice just not as smooth to draw. Just my $.02
SHOOT STRAIGHT  }}}=====> Troy

Offline bentpole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2007, 06:45:00 PM »
Well here's my two cents:The check-mate is a very good bow for the money we have some folks here that might have what your looking for in stock. Also the Bob Lee bows are a good bow too if you go on their site scroll down to the bottom of the home page and click on in stock bows. They have a bunch in stock.There is alot of bowyers out there who make very good , reasonably priced bows and some have "in stock" bows. Another good choice would be to check the Trad Gang classifieds there is alot of great bows there that you can save a ton of money on.

Online TaterHill Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2007, 12:23:00 AM »
I had a savanah and sold it because I was struggling to make the transition from Recurve to longbow.  It was the quietest bow I owned and shot as well as my Black Widow.  I wish now I would have kept it.  I bought it at Cabelas.  I actually went to the store and shot it quite a bit before I bought it.  I sold it before I gave it a chance.  I'll get another.
Jeff

"Make yourselves sheep and the wolves will eat you."  Benjamin Franklin

Offline NorthShoreLB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2007, 01:58:00 PM »
Not as good as the Martin MOUNTANEER, but a great bow none the less  :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:  ....I wouldn't pu to much tought on Suttoman's comments.....
"Almost none knows the keen sense of satisfaction which comes from taking game with their own homemade weapons"

-JAY MASSEY-

Offline heydeerman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2007, 03:27:00 PM »
Suttoman,

Get real. Martin told you to go to your dealer because yur down under and thats how they do business.

How many bows have you made?

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©