3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: ELK Hunting Trad Gear list.  (Read 1119 times)

Offline xia_emperor

• Trad Bowhunter
ELK Hunting Trad Gear list.
« on: April 26, 2007, 01:41:00 PM »
Well I am going hunting in Idaho this year and wanted to see some peoples Gear list. I want to make sure I am not missing something etc. This will be a DIY hunt.    :help:  

Thanks!
“instinctive archery” is more like playing the violin. Without practice you may remember the mechanics, but you will not be a virtuoso.

62" titan riser and samick master limbs 50@28

Offline wifishkiller

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: ELK Hunting Trad Gear list.
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2007, 02:19:00 PM »
How are hunting?  You going to have a base camp?  will you pack in?

Offline xia_emperor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2007, 02:27:00 PM »
well I will be packing in with some guys in the group having a base camp. I am think of being more mobile.
“instinctive archery” is more like playing the violin. Without practice you may remember the mechanics, but you will not be a virtuoso.

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2007, 02:33:00 PM »
ONE WORD..GPS... with FRP radio ..wait that's like 4 words  :bigsmyl:
There is always someone that knows more than you, and someone that knows less than you, so you can always learn and you can always teach

Offline xia_emperor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2007, 02:41:00 PM »
:)  Ferret your a funny guy. I have GPS.

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2007, 02:48:00 PM »
Good deal xia (how do you say that anyway?)

Sorry..I've never been lost but camp has been misplaced several times. As big as those drainages are out west you don't want camp to be misplaced for too long.I think GPS's are awesome when hunting land you are not familiar with.

Seriously, reliable firestarter, emergency space blanket, lightweight tarp, some rope, first aid kit, signal mirror, whistle, water and energy bars. If you do misplace camp and need to spend the night outside you need to make yourself as comfortable as possible for that night.
There is always someone that knows more than you, and someone that knows less than you, so you can always learn and you can always teach

Offline wifishkiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2007, 02:51:00 PM »
If you’re going to have a base camp for the week and have horses or camp off roads you can bring it all.  If your going to jump around with the ultra light tents (That’s my favorite way to hunt)  I bring water purifier, good binos,2 good knives, gps, compass, extra string, lots of jerky to snack on, freeze dried food, titanium goat tent, good sleeping bag, camera, 1 wool/fleece jacket, 2 shirts, one base layer top and bottom, one pair of pants, 2 pair of socks, baby wipes (way better then tp more versatile, pocket rocket for heat and boiling water, that’s about it for 3-5 days after that I make a trip back to the truck or town.  This keeps me sharp if you’re alone for over 5 days (at least me) I end up getting a little run down, so it helps a lot if you’re with a buddy.

Offline OH at work

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2007, 02:54:00 PM »
Don't forget knives and sharpener for skinning and quartering that elk you are going to kill.  A good frame to haul those quarters out and be sure you are really in good shape.  Idaho can wear you out if you're not in shape!!  I've hunted Idaho before, where abouts are you going?

Joe

Offline xia_emperor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2007, 03:06:00 PM »
I am running 30 min. a day and going hiking on the weekends. but it is never enough.

Offline xia_emperor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2007, 03:11:00 PM »
xia was the first emperor of china, but he/the Dynasty is more myth then reality. if I am remimbering the Correct info from my Chinese history class.
According to the official history, the Xia Dynasty was founded when Shun abdicated the throne in favor of his minister Yu, whom Shun viewed as the perfect civil servant. Instead of passing power to the person deemed most capable of rulership, Yu passed power to his son, Qi, setting the precedence for dynastic rule. The Xia Dynasty thus began a period of family or clan control.

According to traditional Chinese proponents of the Dynastic Cycle, it was during this period that Chinese civilization developed a benign civilian government and harsh punishment for legal transgressions. From this the earliest forms of Chinese legal codes came into being.

Jie, the last ruler, was said to be a corrupt king. He was overthrown by Tang, the leader of Shang people from the east.

For many years, the Xia Dynasty was thought to be a part of a myth that the Chinese tell as part of their history. The Xia Dynasty was in oral histories, but no archaeological evidence was found of it until 1959. Excavations at Erlitous, in the city of Yanshi, uncovered what was most likely a capital of the Xia Dynasty. The site showed that the people were direct ancestors of the Lungshan and were predecessors of the Shang. Radiocarbon dates from this site indicate that they existed from 2100 to 1800 B.C. Despite this new archaeological evidence of the Xia, they are not universally accepted as a true dynasty.

just a little history.

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2007, 04:06:00 PM »
don't forget- bow n arrows.
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline SCATTERSHOT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2007, 04:16:00 PM »
In addition to the obvious, plan to provide plenty of water. Most of the West is pretty dry that time of year, and here in Colorado you can get snow at any time. (If it's not dry, it's snowing!) I have found that a good fleece vest is worth its weight in gold most of the time.

Dress in layers, and don't forget a camera so we can see that monster bull!
"Experience is a series of non - fatal mistakes."

Offline RLG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2007, 04:58:00 PM »
What part of Idaho are you going to, The north and south vary alot in climate and Terrain.
RLG

Offline Alex.B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2007, 05:23:00 PM »
Originally posted by Ray Hammond:
don't forget- bow n arrows.
and a quiver  :D
tgmm, tanj, compton, bha

Offline Kindred Mark

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2007, 05:30:00 PM »
Off to a good start, need some sort of watrer filter system.  Way better than carrying 5 days of water.

Mark
Aim Small, Miss Small

Offline xia_emperor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2007, 05:41:00 PM »
I am heading to the southwest area. I have a water filter, as well as Iodien tabes.

Offline Barney

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2007, 08:02:00 PM »
Good optics, parachute cord, extra batteries, magnesium fire starter, imodium has been useful a couple times   :D .

Offline Barney

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2007, 08:07:00 PM »
Oh yeah, and a headlamp. Alot easier than carrying a flashlight everywhere. I also carry bear spray. More for the old gray haired bears where I hunt.

Offline bayoulongbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2007, 08:23:00 PM »
lots and lots of drinking water!!!
"If you're living your life as if there is no GOD, you had  better be right!"

Offline razorsharptokill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2007, 10:47:00 PM »
A light weight Silva compass would be a good back up to GPS. Batteries, electronics can fail but the Earth still has its magnetic poles.
Jim Richards
Veteran

USMC 84-88
Oklahoma Army National Guard 88-89
USMCR 89-96 Desert Storm
Oklahoma Air National Guard 2002- present. Operation Iraqi Freedom 2005(Qatar) and 2007(Iraq),
Operation New Dawn Iraq 2011,
Operation Enduring Freedom 2018 Afghanistan.
NRA Life Member.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©