3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: binocular help  (Read 348 times)

Offline nightowl1

• Trad Bowhunter
binocular help
« on: March 26, 2010, 01:36:00 AM »
thinking about getting a decent pair of binoculars...
I live in the Texas hill country and mostly hunt hog, deer, and squirrel. So really not looking over too great a distance.

Im trying to decide between 6x and 8x

The specific pair im looking at is the Leupold green ring Yosemite

any help is greatly appreciated.
Combo Hunter 46@28

I came from nothing and I brought it with me.

Offline ozy clint

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: binocular help
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2010, 01:52:00 AM »
8x is the one i'd go with. what objective lens diameter are they?
Thick fog slowly lifts
Jagged peaks and hairy beast
Food for soul and body.

Border black douglas recurve 70# and 58# HEX6 BB2 limbs

Offline DesertDude

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2010, 01:54:00 AM »
What part of the Hill country? I'm moving to Fredericksberg in the fall. I have hunted the hill country and I love my 8x42 Nikon Monarchs. you can find them in the classified section on here for about $225... I love the 8x....
DesertDude >>>----->

US Navy (Retired)
1978-1998

Offline yaderehey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2010, 02:00:00 AM »
I have a couple pair of the 6x and don't think you can beat them for the money.  I don't have any experience with the 8x Yosemite, but have read some reviews where they thought the 6x was a little clearer and brighter than the 8x.  Best thing you can do is find a store where you can spend some time looking through both and decide which works best for you.  I did buy mine without comparing the two, but I was buying them for my young sons and knew I wanted the 6x for the wider field of view and less image shake.  I have no regrets, my boys love them. They hold up pretty well when I compare them to my much more expensive glass.

Offline Masham Man

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2010, 02:02:00 AM »
Can't go wrong with Nikon Monarchs.  :thumbsup:
Daniel

Offline carlo1404

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2010, 03:21:00 AM »
I bought a 8x40 because for me it's the right balance between brightness, stability and enlargements.
Bye from Italy
Carlo
1974 Bear T/D Mag A + 2016 #3 42#
2005 Bear T/D Two tone A + RER #2 58" 40#
2010 Blacktail Elite VL 60" 43# Myrtyle
2010 Wes Wallace The Partner 62" 46#
2012 Hoyt Buffalo 62" 40#
2015 LB T.Previdi Taipan 64" 45#
Early '70 N.8 Bear Bows

Offline 684Kevin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2010, 06:10:00 AM »
I tried them all at Cabelas recently and found Bushnell's new Legend HD 8x42's are incredible bang for the buck.  Very wide field of view and clarity to match.  Very pleased. Bought them at B&H Photo online for $210.  Includes a back harness also.

Offline MikeBurns

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2010, 08:40:00 AM »
I have the 6x30 yosemites. For less than $100 you can't go wrong. I use mine for woods hunting in the northeast. I don't need anything stronger.
Sgt USMC '80-'87

Offline DHR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2010, 09:02:00 AM »
With 6x you may have an advantage trying to pick out bits of animals through dense foliage at very close range (wider field of view), but for glassing even moderate distances you'll definately appreciate the 8x.
Because hunting is a deep and permanent yearning in the human condition, there is a chronic fury in all people to whom it is denied.- Jose Ortega y Gasset

Offline jhg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2010, 09:24:00 AM »
Have you compared the Nikon Monarchs? They have a great rep for good reason. I really like their 8x36. Not too heavy and very bright.

Joshua
Learn, practice and pass on "leave no trace" ethics, no matter where you hunt.

Offline nightowl1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2010, 09:39:00 AM »
Thanks for the replies guys. My budget is very limited at the moment. So this $100 limit is all I can afford for now. I will be moving to montana in about 5-7 years so thats when I will buy me a pair of real good higher power glasses.

Most of my viewing is less than two hundred yards. I'm kinda of leaning towards the 6x because of the wider field and ability to search closer ranges easier. Especially because later I will definitly buying a more powerful pair.

I just wanted to make sure 6x isn't a waste of money and lens.
Combo Hunter 46@28

Offline nightowl1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2010, 09:42:00 AM »
Oh yeah, Desertdude, I live just east of Burnet. I have a good friend in the Fredricksburg area that I hunt with. Probably the best hog hunting I have ever seen and I'm from east Texas. Beautiful area and some great fishing all around. I really like it because you are far enough away from Austin to get away from the masses. Keep in contact about the move, let me know if you need anything.
Combo Hunter 46@28

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2010, 10:51:00 AM »
Stick with the yosemitie's in 6X.  The work great for middle distances and up close they rock for picking out animal parts in the brush.  They are brighter than the 8X models in low light conditions.  I have had mine since they first came out and I love them.  The wife and I both use them every day we are in the field.  Great price, good glass, and tough as nails.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Online Jim Wright

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2010, 07:23:00 PM »
I have a pair of 6x30 Yosemities and they are excellent and just the glass I would choose for the use you have described. They will provide enough magnification and have a little better resolution and clarity especially very late and very early when they will gather a bit more light than the 8x30's

Offline DesertDude

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2010, 08:44:00 PM »
Will do..

Thanks
DesertDude >>>----->

US Navy (Retired)
1978-1998

Offline Soilarch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2010, 08:51:00 PM »
I have those binos in 8x...almost walked out of the store before realizing the guy behind the counter gave me 6x instead of the 8x I wanted.

If you're viewing is mostly 200yards and in I personally think you'll be fine with the 6x.

I'm happy with the 8x since I need them to do what you're gonna use them for, but also "make due" when I need to look across a bean field and watch deer or discern between dog and coyote on the farm.
Micah 6:8

Offline nightowl1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2010, 09:24:00 PM »
I got to looking through my Father in laws 8x 42 this evening. Watching the cows across the field I know what you mean soilarch. I think the little extra power might make them a little more multiuse for me.

So what is the best 8x in the price range? $100- 150
Combo Hunter 46@28

Offline Iron

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2010, 10:07:00 AM »
I dont mean to hijack this thread but, i am currently looking for a pair as well...i always thought the better the magnification, the better it would be! i understand how the relation between the 2 numbers work 8x32 , 10x42  etc..  my question is tell me why i am wrong for thinking a 10x would be a better choice than a 6x?  is the clarity better ? i hunt woods, and want for the occasional glassing of corn fields..

i was looking at nikon 10x 42's or the bushnell 10x's,,...

educate me so i dont spend money wrong, Thanks
Jason
"It is what it is,improvise, adapt, and get it done!"

Hunter's moon 49@28"
1973 Kodiak Hunter 55#@28"
1970 Kodiak Hunter 50#@28"
1970 Super Kodiak 45#@28"
1965 Kodiak magnum 47#@28"

Offline Ceb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2010, 10:22:00 AM »
I bought a pair of old Redfield 7X35 binocs probably 30yrs ago and more recently a pair of the Nikon Monachs in 10X42. The Nikons are excellent for the money but I find myself wishing I had bought the 8X42 instead, just a bit more magnification than I need for most of my hunting, a little hard to hold steady. I use my old Redfields most of the time. More compact, but still with an exit pupil of 5. They are excellent for picking things apart in the timber.

Offline beachbowhunter

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2010, 10:28:00 AM »
Iron, using 10x in the woods is a real challenge. You wind up looking at only tiny bits of area and it is hard to know where you are looking. 8x or 6x is better for near field magnifiation IMHO.
Ishi was a Californian                   :cool:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©