3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: woody weights question  (Read 246 times)

Offline ozy clint

• Trad Bowhunter
woody weights question
« on: March 26, 2010, 05:04:00 AM »
i'm looking for a woody weight type thing but instead of having a female point taper to male point taper as 3rivers sells, i need something that goes from female point taper to screw in. or better still, male screw in to female screw in.

just like 3rivers woodscrew adapter but in steel like the woody weights.
Thick fog slowly lifts
Jagged peaks and hairy beast
Food for soul and body.

Border black douglas recurve 70# and 58# HEX6 BB2 limbs

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: woody weights question
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2010, 05:29:00 AM »
There is a bloke in Australia on the TBGA forum who makes inserts on his lathe. He might go by the name of "Special", unless I'm getting my wires crossed. He might be able to turn something up for you.
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2010, 05:56:00 AM »
how 'bout using an internal nail footing (60-80 grains) then the wood-to-screw-in adapter?  the footing weight adds both weight and strengthens the shaft behind the point or adapter, where shafts are prone to breaking.
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline ozy clint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2010, 06:15:00 AM »
i don't 'need' any, it would just be nice to find something that would allow you to use lighter screw in points like the various blunts available. i shoot 250gr up front so it makes it hard to be able to use 125gr or 145gr screw in blunts or broadheads.
Thick fog slowly lifts
Food for soul and body.

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2010, 06:27:00 AM »
then you just want wood-to-screw-in adapters from 3rivers ...

.... ah, but you want steel, not aluminium, eh?

Offline ozy clint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2010, 07:53:00 AM »
yeah something that comes in various weights.
Thick fog slowly lifts
Food for soul and body.

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2010, 08:11:00 AM »
Originally posted by ozy clint:
yeah something that comes in various weights.
well, changing the wood-to-screw-in adapters isn't a quickie thing so i'd think whatever adapter weight you choose is on pretty much for good.  

in that case, combining a special woody adapters with an internal nail footing (of the weight you choose) makes double good sense as you'll increase front end weight while stiffening the vulnerable area of the arrow.  no?

the 3rivers alum woody adapters weigh 50 grains.  you could near triple that with a nail footing.

Offline ozy clint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2010, 08:37:00 AM »
i'm trying to utilise light screw in heads on carbons. so i'm looking for something that allows you to adjust to the mass you need.

eg- i'd like to try the G5 smallgame head but they are only 125gr. i need 250gr. i could do it with those wood screw adapters but it would be good if it came in one unit as it would be shorter and involve less components.
imagine a 250gr field point that was machined to accept another screw in point but it weighed 125gr. bingo, that's what i'm talking about.

someone just needs to make them in various weights and every one who shoots heavy heads will be able to use the lighter screw in heads, like a stinger for instance.

if your tuned for 250gr up front (not including the insert) like i am, light screw in heads are unusable at the moment.

it's a wonder whoever makes the adapters and field points haven't thought to make something like that. it would allow many more broadhead combos. at the moment if you want a heavy head you are pretty much stuck with glue ons and adapters.
Thick fog slowly lifts
Food for soul and body.

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2010, 08:47:00 AM »
clint, i thought you were talking about woodies?  guess i didn't understand?

adjusting the front end with carbons is too easy, just by using glue-in points varying the adapter weights, from 21grs to 43grs (alum) and 50grs to 125grs (steel).  the inserts are a different story as they can be as light as 25grs (alum) or 100grs (brass), but once in they're in for good.  am i on the right track?

Offline ozy clint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2010, 08:58:00 AM »
yeah i guess i sort of mislead you at the start. i was thinking of something like the woody weights to solve the problem but realise now what i need is what i explained in my last post.

this is my problem- i'm tuned with a 100gr insert and 250gr broadhead (total= 350gr up front) suddenly i want to use a 125gr stinger screw in or G5 blunt that is 125gr screw in. now i'm 125gr short. i need an adapter that screws into my arrow then the point can screw into that, while bringing the total mass up front to 350gr again.

that is a whole new world of broadheads for a lot of people. basically it's an adapter that gives weight adustabilty to genuine screw in heads (by that i mean not a glue on that has been made into a screw in by glueing an adapter inside it) heads like the magnus stinger, muzzy phantom, snuffer SS, etc.
Thick fog slowly lifts
Food for soul and body.

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2010, 09:32:00 AM »
ah, now i see (as he picked up the hammer and saw)!  

yer trying to mix 'n' match glue-in's with screw-in's ... this is the reason why i stick exclusively to glue-in's and vary the adapter weights.  

sure, no problem, you could do that with the 50gr woody adapter in this order ...

125gr screw in point --> 50gr woody adapter --> 75gr steel point = 250grs total front end ... BUT, you would increase the length of the arrow by the length of the woody adapter.

Offline SlowBowinMO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2010, 12:59:00 PM »
3Rivers has the "Hammer" screw in 250 gr blunt/small game tip that is very similar to the G5 head, that would be an inexpensive option for you I think.  The Stingers are another problem all together and I don't have a suggestion there.
"Down-Log Blind at Misty River"

Offline tradtusker

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2010, 02:35:00 PM »
go with the hammer or and Ace hex and glue in the weight adapter you need to make the weight.
don't bother with the G5 small game head, the first one i shot broke the second bounced of a Guineafowl and the third i threw in the bin
There is more to the Hunt.. then the Horns

**TGMM Family of the Bow**

Andy Ivy

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©