3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: What isTraditional archery to you?  (Read 1110 times)

Offline jackdaw

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: What isTraditional archery to you?
« Reply #40 on: March 27, 2010, 03:45:00 PM »
There's a very satisfying feeling to shooting a recurve or longbow well. It's the same feeling I get when flyfishing or flintlock shooting. The guys who embrace the traditional way of shooting are generally of the same mindset.....not taking the easy way out, but rather  the more satisfying feeling of accomplishment way. Different strokes for different folks...kudos to those who choose the path less taken cause' it's well worth the trip..my opinion...john
John Getz:........... Time flies like an arrow, Fruit flies like bananas.
Ed HOLCOMB 59' KODIAK 51#
Ed HOLCOMB 59' KODIAK 47#
67'1/2  BEAR SUPER K  44#
WILSON BROTHERS BLACK WIDOW 60" 45#
LONGRIVER ELK 62" LONGBOW 53#
1967 WING 62" SLIMLINE 43#

Offline aussieman8

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: April 07, 2010, 09:33:00 AM »
a reason for me and my dad to go outside and have fun or just to be out in nature

Offline mrpenguin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: April 07, 2010, 10:12:00 AM »
Its where I started with archery and where I am now ending up.  First bow was a Browning recurve I inherited from my grandpa!  I've sat in trees with wheels (like many of us) and sat in a tree with stick and string. I've stalked whitetails with metal and wheels and stalked them with a recurve/longbow... and every time I go out with wood and string, I feel like I am hunting, one with nature, in tune with the woods, instinctual: a wolf.  The wheels tend to make me feel more like an assassin.  Laden with technology, concerned with distances, fatigued by weight, and the tink of metal against the forest.  I am focused on the kill (destination) not the hunt itself (journey).  The wheels are a kind of crutch that make me feel 'safe'... I don't even know why that is?  Its all my hunting buddies telling me how great a compound is, how accurate, how I will wound deer with trad equipment... the mindset is ALL wrong... Shooting a compound for target practice is fun, but I am done hunting with wheels.  I embrace the wolf.
God Bless,
Erik
_ _ _ _  _  
Crow Creek Black Feather Recurve 49@28
Browning Wasp 50@28

"And we know for those who love God all things work together for good"-Romans 8:28

"It's so hard to stop being a man and start being a wolf" - G. Fred Asbell

Offline hayslope

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: April 07, 2010, 10:36:00 AM »
When I started out it was just "a bow and arrow".  No labeling of "traditional", 'cause that term didn't exist.  If anything, it probably labeled me as that "odd teenager" amongst my peers (and most older hunters) in the early 60s in PA.  :confused:    I admit, I didn't know too many other archers back then.

As for "zen", "witchery" or what have you; I'll leave that for others to debate.  As for me, there aren't many things that provide that feeling that I get when I draw the bow back and send the arrow on its "journey" to its target.  I cherish that joy as much now at 57 as when I was 10.  Many that I know don't, and probably never will, understand that feeling.

What started out as just another "tool" to use for hunting, certainly has evolved into something altogether different. I still enjoy shooting guns, if nothing more than once or twice a year, but the lure of the bow and arrow haunts me every day. I hope it continues to do so till the day I can no longer draw the bow.

Has anyone ever noticed the look on the face of a kid when they are shooting their first bow?  There is a reason they are smiling!  May you all keep smiling.............   :archer2:
TGMM Family of the Bow
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

“Only after the last tree has been cut down…the last river has been poisoned…the last fish caught, only then will you find that money cannot be eaten." - Cree Indian Prophesy

Offline Muleyslayer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: April 07, 2010, 11:04:00 AM »
I shot an antelope @ close to 700yrds. with my rifle and a 28" wide muley buck @ 400yrds. and nice deer out to 65yrds. with my wheelie bow, I'm not trying to brag but that was fun, but when asked by friend or stranger about my hunting I seem to go into great detail about my 18yrd. shot with my bear recurve on a young button buck. When I tell the story they look at me like I'm crazy or high, I think there probably right. This is going to be my first all season trad year with a custom bow,and now I found a place here to tell my stories and people understand. Its just a blast!!!!!!  :campfire:
"LUCK"
When preparation meets opportunity

Offline clemart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: April 07, 2010, 11:11:00 AM »
It's a way of life
It's doing something that you must work at, something you really can't buy to make you better
at what you're doing. That clears it up as clear as mud.

Offline Johan van Niekerk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: April 07, 2010, 11:40:00 AM »
Its the closest I can come to being at one with nature. To being a real predator.

With a rifle I can kill at distances that gives the animal no chance whatsoever. With my compound bow I have to stalk to within 30 meters but I STILL have an unfair advantage in that my equipment are mechanically "augmented" in terms of both power and accuracy.

With my longbow? I have to get close...REAL close. I can miss...EASILY...I am the one who's holding the bow at full draw. My muscles hold 100% of the draw weight, my skill determines the accuracy. I am the hunter.

With a compound bow an unskilled person can get good enough to kill in an hour or two. With my longbow I have to practice every day.

Traditional archery is my badge of honour. It is proof that I believe in fair chase and that hunting is not the same thing as killing.

Offline Schultzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: April 07, 2010, 11:49:00 AM »
Well, It's me and who I am.

Offline Joshua Lee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: April 07, 2010, 12:26:00 PM »
Traditional archery is a quick way to realize that you may not be focusing on something when you think you are. Modern society breads attention disorders, with TV, games etc.  I think archery could be used tool to show children with ADHD how to be aware of there difficulties with attention and learn how to truley focus there mind.. I know it has helped me   :)  .
"Success is not final
Failure is not fatal
It is the courage to continue that counts"
Churchill

Offline CaliCreole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: April 07, 2010, 12:41:00 PM »
Traditional archery is my release, it clears my head and allows me to focus. I love the simplicity of the tool. when that perfect shot is made i know it was me. Im going from gun hunter to longbow and skipping the wheels. no sights no let off, just the goal of making a perfect shot
Bear State Archers
Riverside archers
Martin Bushmaster 55#

Offline Encino Man

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: April 07, 2010, 01:44:00 PM »
Originally posted by jcar315:
The journey not the destination.
nough said.   :thumbsup:
Fox Archery "Red Fox"
53# @ 28" 64" longbow
Browning "Safari II"
44# @ 28" 60" Recurve

Offline LoneWolf73

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: April 07, 2010, 04:49:00 PM »
Somewhere, "back in time>>>------->.
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways-BOW in one hand-ARROWS in the other-Body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming-WOO HOO! WHAT A RIDE!

Offline David Schroeder

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: April 07, 2010, 05:54:00 PM »
I feel Im part of nature ,walking in the woods,that my bow is made of,arrows too..

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: April 07, 2010, 06:44:00 PM »
Traditional archery?

Shooting a longbow or recurve at Targets.

Traditional hunting?  Hunting with traditional equipment.

Enjoying the moment and surrounding myself with like minded people?  Friends who have a passion just like mine, who are ready to give it possible?  Well that's just a preference.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline mcgroundstalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: April 07, 2010, 06:58:00 PM »
Traditional Archery helps me celebrate the human condition. The way our Creator has us wired with hand/eye coordination and muscle memory. For me, it has to be the best thing since sliced bread.

I don't think I have changed due to traditional archery and/or hunting with trad gear. Although it has driven home my respect for game animals and fair chase. The fact that we "need" to be close to game is SO COOL! If I do take game with a (non-bow) I kinda feel guilty and ask Him for forgiveness.

... mike ...
"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies"

Offline SpencerL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: May 14, 2010, 06:07:00 PM »
This is a quote from Marv Clyncke that resonates with me....

"That’s what bowhunting is all about- getting close, and beating the animal at their own game. A lot of bowhunters these days go just for the kill and not the hunt. Hunting! That’s what it’s supposed to be. Hunting is fun if one just lets it be fun. We all want a kill, but if that doesn’t happen it isn’t the end of the world. If you have to kill every time out, take a smoke-pole!"

At lease thats what traditional bowhunting should be.

Offline ronp

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: May 14, 2010, 06:13:00 PM »
Expensive.  And worth it!  It changed me by making me poorer.
Ron Purdy

TGMM Family of the Bow
MTB
NRA

Offline bear1336

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: May 14, 2010, 06:34:00 PM »
Has been since age 5 and alwaa will be a WAY OF LIFE for me.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside thoroughly used up, totally worn out, with bible in hand and loudly proclaim...WOW...What a Ride!!!

Offline Osage61

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: May 14, 2010, 08:14:00 PM »
It makes me feel as though I am no longer just a visitor to Mother Nature but rather a son to Mother Nature.
TGMM Family of the Bow
"Pro Pelle Cutem"-HBC

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: May 14, 2010, 08:24:00 PM »
SIMPLICITY!!!!!!!!!!

Put an arrow on the string,pull it back,and SHOOT!!!!!

If you have to THINK about it,your making WAY too much out of it!!!!!

Forget all that tuning crap..... You can have the worst set-up in the world and if you shoot enough,your mind,eye,hand,body cordination will put you on target. Instinctively your mind will position your body to put the arrows where you want them.
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©