3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Skinnin limbs?  (Read 170 times)

Online Gun

• Trad Bowhunter
Skinnin limbs?
« on: March 27, 2010, 03:22:00 AM »
I know I've seen info on here about adding snake skin to your bow limbs. I did a search but couldn't find it. Can someone with more skill than I point me in the right direction?
I also would like to know what kind of snake would leave a grey-black pattern when finished. I believe this has been discussed here as well. Also where to find one, other than to collect it my self. I've only seen garter snakes up here and only two of those.
Thanks in advance.
It's really simple. Just don't take those borderline shots. Tomorrow is another day.

Offline fido dog

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Skinnin limbs?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2010, 03:42:00 AM »
Gun,

Thank you for another reason to post my K-Mag. Skins are Easter Diamondback by Bob Morrison. They have that grey-black pattern you mentioned.

There is a thread on how to do it at home in the "How To" forum. I believe it's "Skinning a Wapiti". In fact, here it is....

http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=000062

A politician who acts foolishly may NOT be acting!

Offline A.S.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2010, 08:16:00 AM »
http://tradgang.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=000062#000000

Here you go. It's pretty easy to do it yourself. I would not recommend using superglue over the skins as in the tutorial above. I heard from several people that this can cause you some problems.

Offline swampbuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2010, 09:59:00 AM »
I had a fellow tradganger (Brent Bassi) get me started as he had done a few and my centaur was to be my first.We used titebond to glue down the skins and after removing the scales with masking tape put 2 coats of sponged on helmsmens then a sand followed by another sponge on and sand.After that I used 3 coats of spray on useing steel wool between coats.I may be partial LOL but I think it came out awesome.

I got my skins from pine hollow their a sponcer here.I'd measure the width of the bow your looking to cover than give them a call and tell them what your looking for,Good luck
Shoot straight and have FUN!!

Offline joevan125

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2010, 11:52:00 AM »
It really looks like putting skins on a bow is not that hard to do.

I may have to try doing one of my old Kodiak Hunters.
Joe Van Kilpatrick

Offline outdoorsmanchad123

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2010, 12:04:00 PM »
I put diamondback on my very fist bow  got all my info from briskybows.com

Offline 1kwikstik

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2010, 01:54:00 PM »
I'd steer clear of the super glue finish. Skinned my Palmer, had it looking great- until I put super glue on. Whole thing turned milky white. May have been too humid or something when I did it, but it's on there now.
What we have done for ourselves alone dies with us. What we have done for others lasts forever.

Compton Traditional Bowhunters

Online Gun

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2010, 08:34:00 PM »
Thanks guys. Went back and found it. Guess I should wear my glasses more.
It's really simple. Just don't take those borderline shots. Tomorrow is another day.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©