3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Asbell grip ?  (Read 375 times)

Offline LongStick64

• Trad Bowhunter
Asbell grip ?
« on: March 27, 2010, 11:45:00 AM »
Stupid question, but how do I tell if my Widow has an Asbell grip ?
Primitive Bowhunting.....the experience of a lifetime

Offline Pinecone

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Asbell grip ?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2010, 11:50:00 AM »
If you have experienced a standard grip, the Asbell is easy to differentiate.  One of the most identifiable features of the Asbell is a bit of a palm swell.  This is absent on the standard grip.

Claudia
Pinecone

Offline Mooseandbuck44

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2010, 02:52:00 PM »
If you have a BW catalog, there are pictures of the types of grips, you may be able to tell by looking at that.  Otherwise you can probably call them with the serial number and they could tell you...great people there.

Offline Keith Zimmerman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2010, 03:57:00 PM »
You can tell by the palm swell.  Big difference between the two.

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2010, 04:16:00 PM »
Please, please, please don't take this the wrong way...

I love the way Widows look and have always wanted one.  Every time I shoot one, it cures me of the desire.  To me, the grip feels like there is a 1x4 pushing right into the web of my hand between my thumb and finger.  Would the Asbell grip eliminate this?

Offline Rabob

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2010, 04:21:00 PM »
After the serial number there will be an "A"and it wasn't offered until 2003.

Regards,Ray

Offline Clint B.

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2010, 04:27:00 PM »
Steve, Are you saying the throat of the grip is too small around on the standard grip? Do you shoot with a straight wrist? If you already have a bow with a grip shape that feels just right, you can check with the Black Widow guys about duplicating it for you. If you're pretty sure you're going to order a new BW, you can "test drive" a bow & ask for one with the Asbell Grip. Clint

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2010, 04:39:00 PM »
Not necessarily too small, but too "sharp" on the edges.

I will have to stop at their booth at Compton.  I'm sure they will have an Assbell grip I can try.  I've been meaning to ask for a while and thought this might be a good place to find out.

Offline Clint B.

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2010, 04:54:00 PM »
I assume you mean the edges of the palm area, because the throat has no sharp edges at all. The Asbell Grip is higher & wider in the palm area, so it should feel different to you. Better or worse, I can't say, because I don't get what you're saying about sharp edges.  The caption under the Asbell Grip photo in the BW catalog says "Slightly larger and higher palm swell sutable for rotating the wrist as G. Fred Asbell prefers."

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2010, 06:00:00 PM »
Steve O, I know exactly what you mean, having compared the standard grip to my old Martin Hunter and my Silvertip. And my Bears. When I first picked-up my old SAIII, I shot it so much that the sharpness you describe really hurt. But, then I got used to the feel, and it didn't bother me again. Friday afternoon, my mate and I were shooting, he with his PSA and I with my Silvertip. We swapped bows, and there was that sharp feeling again - not terrible, and not enough to make me dislike the experience, but noticeable. I have a PCH coming, and it will have the Asbell grip, so I'll be able to report on the difference it makes. I want to stress that I am a very flexible archer who can happily shoot nearly any bow after an initial period of adjustment, and I love Black Widows. I have biggish hands, and I wonder if that makes a difference.
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2010, 06:05:00 PM »
I have two Widows with Asbell grips, and neither one has an "A" after the serial number.

I was told by Toby that if I didn't like the Asbell grip, I could send it back and they could sand it down to a regular grip.  Of course, that's a one-way trip.  But I've always been happy with the Asbell grip.  But then I'm happy with the regular grip, too.

BTW, I've never heard anyone say they wish they had gotten the regular grip rather than the Asbell grip.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Online Lefty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2010, 06:31:00 PM »
Sometimes a picture says it best

Offline Irish

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2010, 07:00:00 PM »
I shot an SAIII for about 3 years as my main bow, it had the regular grip.   I now shoot an PTFX with the Asbell.  I also have a PCH coming in about a week.   I had no doubt that I wanted the Asbell on my new Widow.   I shoot a PSAV, and it had the Asbell.  The Asbell feels like it fills up my hand better, and I like the additional palm swell.
Mel Riley

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2010, 08:57:00 PM »
Thanks guys, especially you Ben.  I will definitely give the Asbell grip a go and see if I can feel the difference.

Offline LongStick64

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2010, 10:18:00 PM »
Thanks Lefty that answered it.
Primitive Bowhunting.....the experience of a lifetime

Offline Clint B.

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2010, 10:57:00 PM »
LongStick64, I see there are a couple of for sale ads in the TradGang Classifieds with some more Asbell Grip riser photos, including some side views. Just search entire message using search term Asbell. Clint

Offline mparks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2010, 07:05:00 AM »
Steve,

Mark at the club shoots a PSAV with an Asbell grip.  Haven't seen him there for awhile though.

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2010, 05:55:00 AM »
G'day Steve-O. The Asbell grip is definitely closer to the Silvertip grip than the standard Black Widow grip. The Asbell grip doesn't feel sharp at all.
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2010, 07:06:00 AM »
Steve O - When I was at the BW clinic this month, I shot every bow they had....including several Asbell grip styles. For my hand shape, I prefer a smaller grip (thats why I like Shrews so much)The Asbell style grip they produce didn't fit me well.

Offline T Folts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2010, 07:12:00 AM »
I shot a Asbel grip at the Kzoo show and really liked it compared to the standard.
US ARMY 1984-1988

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©