3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: paul schafer  (Read 266 times)

Offline crack a toa

• Trad Bowhunter
paul schafer
« on: March 27, 2010, 11:37:00 PM »
wow I just was at his site and read all the stories of him and the people who wrote them. I am almost sad I didnt know of him until now. he was truly a great bowyer,hunter,dad and freind. I have known of his bows but not him. if anyone doesnt no his story you should really check it out. and I am glad a true freind of his has the company instead of someone just using his name to sell bows.

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: paul schafer
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2010, 06:31:00 AM »
Check out the legends and pioneers forum here on TradGang.
  Legends and Pioneers
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline swampmaster

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2010, 09:07:00 AM »
a man i would have loved to of had the pleasure  to have met. i have read most all of the stories about him that i could find when i first got into trad archery many years ago. he was a true sportsman and friend to all who knew him.

Offline Tater

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2010, 09:31:00 AM »
One of the greatest (if not the greatest)Bowhunters to ever stretch a string.
       Check out the Video Archives here.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Charter/Life Member
Big Thompson Bowhunters
United Bowhunters of Illinois
TGMM Family of the Bow

Online Carcajou

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2010, 09:39:00 AM »
An absolute Legend in Traditional Archery...he would be proud of how Dave and Beth Windauer have carried on his legacy...Best recurve on the market  IMHO.....
" MEMBER ~ COMPTON Traditional Bowhunters "

"Searching through the remnants of my dream-shattered sleep"

Offline Froggy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2010, 09:57:00 AM »
Not another bowhunter even close to him walking today !!. The stories of him are incredible.
TGMM  >>>>---------> Family of the bow

Offline joevan125

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2010, 10:20:00 AM »
What did Paul do that makes him stand out and be called one of the greatest hunters of all time.

I would like to learn more about him, have there been any books written about him or did he write any books.
Joe Van Kilpatrick

Offline Tater

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2010, 10:25:00 AM »
Joevan,

Check out Charlie's post above and also you might do a search for past threads on Paul Schafer.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Charter/Life Member
Big Thompson Bowhunters
United Bowhunters of Illinois
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline John3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2010, 10:25:00 AM »
PM Tim Zeigler. He scaned some Schafer articles and would email them to you.  Great read!

John III
"There is no excellence in Archery without great labor".  Maurice Thompson 1879

Professional Bowhunters Society--Regular Member
United Bowhunters of Missouri
Compton Life Member #333

Offline joevan125

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2010, 10:44:00 AM »
Thanks guys i love to read anything and everything that involves trad bows or trad hunters.
Joe Van Kilpatrick

Offline agross1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2010, 10:50:00 AM »
i read about him before i even got into trad archery, what an amazing person,  and from what i have read , one of the best if not the best ever with a stick and string,  would have loved to have met him and hope to one day have one of his bows
Silvertip 60"  54#
64 Kodiak 60"  50#

Offline SERGIO VENNERI

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2010, 03:00:00 PM »
Here is a Pic of Paul and I checking out a Silvertip he had just completed for his Dad's Birthday . I still miss him. by the way Dave has continued to carry on with Paul's bow building legacy !!!   :thumbsup:

Offline Traditional-Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2010, 04:16:00 PM »
From what I've read about Mr. Schafer he would have be Embarrassed to read this about himself. A true sportsman  
Not another bowhunter even close to him walking today  
:notworthy:    :notworthy:    :notworthy:
We are what we do repeatedly. Execellence is, therefore, not an act but a habit.  

Artistole (384-322 B.C.)
Philosopher

Offline val

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2010, 10:19:00 AM »
Would have liked to meet him.  I believe I would have benefited with a rare insight into our world of bowhunting, and life in general.

Offline Hit-or-Miss

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2010, 12:13:00 PM »
Ironic I should see this today!; I just read a 1985 Bowhunter magazine last night, Sept., and read Wensel's story/interview with Mr. Schafer. He was one tough hunter, and in incredible shape. According to the article, Schafer chased a wounded Pronghorn for 40 miles (on foot!), over 3 days and put an arrow through it's lungs, ending the chase.

Offline amar911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2010, 05:08:00 PM »
I was a wrestler when I was young, and that was the "legend" I best remember Paul for. Paul was three years older than me, so he was one of the wrestlers I looked up to, along the other greats like Wayne Wells, Dan Gable, and the Peterson brothers, all of whom (besides Paul) I got to wrestle, among others, at various wrestling clinics while I was in high school. Paul was definitely a multi-talented person and a great natural athlete. It is still sad to think that he was lost at such a young age.

Jim Brackenbury is another outstanding bowyer, archer, and human being who died in his prime while doing what he loved in the outdoors. Guys like Paul and Jim remind us that even the best among us are mortals and can be lost in the blink of an eye when things go terribly wrong like they did for Paul on the ski slopes and for Jim in the river.

I had a bad accident while skiing, like Paul did, but slowed to a much lesser speed before running head first into the hard plastic cover surrounding a snow making nozzle. I had a four inch gash in my head, two compressed discs in my neck, six broken ribs from the compression of my chest, a badly strained back, and two dislocated shoulders, but I still had far less severe injuries than Paul -- obviously. I wish he were still with us. He had a lot more to offer.

Allan
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2010, 05:15:00 PM »
Glad you are here Allan,scary story,I am a skier myself and i know how much respect we have to give to the mountain.When Paul had his accident I was very touched and still in my memory there is the pic of him with his boy on his shoulders,calling elk with the grount tube .
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©