3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: insert trouble  (Read 149 times)

Offline Jmatt1957

• Trad Bowhunter
insert trouble
« on: March 28, 2010, 05:40:00 AM »
I installed some 50 grain brass inserts into some GT shafts. I used 2 part epoxy, I spread the epoxy around the inside of the shaft and then put the inserts in with a twisting motion to spread the epoxy evenly. I did not put points in the inserts before or during the process as the inserts slid in easy. I can not get my field points into 6 of the 12 inserts. On a couple of them the points start then stop on the others the points will not even start to thread in. I do not think I got glue up inside the inserts. Anyone ever had this problem? Any Ideas as to how to fix this? Cutting shaft is not an option.

Offline 2Knives

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: insert trouble
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2010, 06:56:00 AM »
It's happened to me also.
Just get a tap and die set and chase the threads.
The point will screw in just fine. It may be a little tight but that should hold your points from coming loose...just like I put string wax on all my points before I insert them, keeps them from coming loose...hope this helps.
USAF AMMO Retired

Shoot True!!!
Don't Squat with your Spurs on!

Offline bentpole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2010, 07:05:00 AM »
What 2 knives said. Next time use a field point to push the insert in. A blunt  will work even better. Put a small piece of duct tape or masking tape around where they thread together so you know no epoxy will get on connection either.

Offline outbackbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2010, 07:33:00 AM »
You have put glue into the threads, that is the problem.

What you did wrong was to spread the glue inside the shaft and then push in the insert.

basically you used the insert to push the excess glue before it, up the shaft into a big glob onto the back of the insert and so enter the insert threads through the hole in the back of the insert.

Next time, screw a field point onto the insert, and then spread your epoxy mix sparingly around the body of the insert.

As you push in the insert this time, the excess glue is now pushed out of the shaft, where it can be wiped off with some paper towell.

What you need to fix your current problem, is an eight guage, 32 threads per inch, bottom, tapping tool to clean the glue out of your insert threads.
Three things you cant take back, time past, harsh words and a well sped arrow

Offline Jmatt1957

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2010, 09:25:00 AM »
Thanks for the help guys. Problem solved

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©