3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: 6 strand D97 string  (Read 234 times)

Offline ozy clint

• Trad Bowhunter
6 strand D97 string
« on: March 28, 2010, 05:56:00 AM »
i thought i had my arrows tuned well but it turns out they are a bit to stiff. now i have about 30 arrows that are two stiff! :x  without being able or wanting to add more point weight or getting a thinner side plate, it seemed my only option was to go for a thinner string. i have been using a 10 strand D97 so i thought i would try a 6 strand and see if i could save my arrows. so i made a 6 strand endless string with padded loops (dacron) BINGO, arrows flying like darts and broadheads grouping with bareshafts out to 20m. it's amazing the effect that string mass has on bow performance. saved my arrows and picked up speed. skinny is good!oh yeah, BTW, i'm talking about my 54# recurve

do you guys consider a 6 strand to be too skinny for hunting? i'm mean it's safe but do you think that in the field durability is badly comprimised? i guess that spare strings are light though.
Thick fog slowly lifts
Jagged peaks and hairy beast
Food for soul and body.

Border black douglas recurve 70# and 58# HEX6 BB2 limbs

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
Re: 6 strand D97 string
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2010, 06:49:00 AM »
df'97 has a tensile strength of over 100# per strand, so ...

6 strands x 100# = 600#

600# / 54# = 11.11 ... meaning a 6 strand df'97 string is more than ten times the the holding weight of yer bow.  

yeah, i'd say that's plenty strong, mate!   :thumbsup:

the downside, if any, might be the abrasion durability of 6 strands versus 12 strands.
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2010, 06:55:00 AM »
Clint, that topic got beaten hard here some months back.

As with many such issues, I doubt there was any true conclusions with some standing ground for and others against.

I had one 6strand go funny on me after having to keep twisting it up, it just slipped to a 6" brace in one fell swoop.  Stuff can happen.

My solution is to have TWO made up, shot in, with silencers, nock point and a BUNCH of arrows shot through both. Then one rests neatly in me pocket!

From all the discussions, strand strength is so high on D97 that aside from the psychological adjustments of having less strands, ....well, each has to decide.  :)

Thanks for sharing both your story and the arrow salvation!
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2010, 07:06:00 AM »
In hunting situation on trip away from home i would like to take 2 extra stings,already set and used since they stabilized,nock point and silencers on place.
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2010, 07:08:00 AM »
i think some folks had low strand count string issues in terms of stretch and creep, and perhaps due to the way they were built.  

these kinda 'skinny' strings are a bit more critical to twist or spin and might be best left to a pro.
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2010, 08:02:00 AM »
The easy and best fix is to just rip off the sideplate and tune your bow to the arrow you want to shoot with a thinner one.It takes very little change in centershot to make a big difference.Much easier and cheaper than buying new stuff.I doubt if dropping from a 10 to 6 strand string will fix anything anyway.
....Quality deer management means shooting them before they get tough....

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2010, 10:09:00 AM »
I use a 8 strand D97 on my bows under 60# with no problems.I did notice when I made an endless loop D97 when compared to a flemish twist D97 it did make my arrows alittle weaker,I had to play with the tune of the arrows.

Offline Flying Dutchman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2010, 03:03:00 PM »
I went from a 16 strands string to a six strands string and the difference is amazing. Its like shooting 5 to 7.5 pounds more withhout having to pull the extra weight. There is no creep, stretch or whatsoever.
I think skinny strings are simply the best.

You can PM if you want to know what brand I bought.
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that string! [/i]                            :rolleyes:              
Cari-bow Peregrine
Whippenstick Phoenix
Timberghost ordered
SBD strings on all, what else?

Offline ozy clint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2010, 05:43:00 PM »
yes there is a bit of a psychological adjustment for sure. i'll make a seven strand string today, that way i'll have 4 strands in each loop plus padding. might make it a little easier to serve too. instead of triple serving to get the nock fit i'll lay in some extra strands under the centre serving.

i'll just carry a few spares with me while hunting.
Thick fog slowly lifts
Food for soul and body.

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2010, 07:24:00 PM »
Someone I trust who floated around the ocean on a boat 6 mos/year measured burger buttons thread dimensions. 1/8 turn is reported to be 1/32 of an inch!

Yup, James, that is a tiny bit but they swear 1/8 turn would go from high right or left tear to bullet hole! I believe em.

Side plate works. FPS seems to work too. Harder kick in the kiester of the arrow is the same net effect as moving the sideplate closer to center!
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline ozy clint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2010, 10:57:00 PM »
but i have two limb sets and one riser. if i change the side plate i've got to retune all my arrows for the heavy limbs too. that's why i didn't want to change anything on the riser.
Thick fog slowly lifts
Food for soul and body.

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2010, 01:03:00 AM »
Sounds to me like you solved it  Make up a couple extra strings and shoot them in and your ready to hunt more hogs and buffallo.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline Running Buck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2010, 10:24:00 AM »
This is how I shoot the same arrows from 6 different bows. Just change the strand count on the strings. Some of the lower poundages 52-54 I use 8125, the higher poundage I use D-97. If you make your own strings it is cheaper then buying arrows.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©