3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Neck Knives for hunting and wilderness skills  (Read 736 times)

Offline Overspined

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Neck Knives for hunting and wilderness skills
« on: March 28, 2010, 02:59:00 PM »
I went to an outdoor survival and skills class with a "now do what you learned" part of it and the teacher always wore his knife around his neck and he uses Mora knives which are inexpensive and actually nice looking. He primarily used the shorter ones with the wood handles and no guard. In his book he outlines why that is a great place to carry it and why Mora are his choice. I thing his name is Mors Kochanski and it is a book called Bushcraft. It is a truly easy to read and completely illustrated guide for how to get by with very little and what you really need to get buy for a couple of days assuming you have learned how to use the stuff! Any wilderness fisherman/hunter should read this! After his class I carry a TON less than I used to and can always use some of what he teaches. Clothing, food, fire, all of it is in there. He has an impressive resume over decades of knowledge and teaching. Thought a few of you might be interested in something like this...

Online mjh

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Neck Knives for hunting and wilderness skills
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2010, 04:56:00 PM »
Mors Kochanski is the real deal, knows of what he speaks through experience. I've had the pleasure of being in one of his seminars would love to do a multi-day course with him. While not my favortive  knife I do have many Mora's and if yea ask me to borrow you a knife it's more than likely to be a Mora.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2010, 05:06:00 PM »
I just staryed to carry or wear a necker, one I made from a blank I got from Dryad [Hella]. I find that it is reall kind'a handy to have it right in front you all the time.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2010, 05:31:00 PM »
I could never cotton to something swinging from my neck so never owned one.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline Sean B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2010, 05:50:00 PM »
I use them alot when I do, what is referred to as "Historical Trekking", which is basically camping, using woods skills, and tools that were available in the 18th c.
Sean
PBS Regular Member
Comptons
NY Bowhunters Association
BW KB X
BW PCH X
BW PSR X
Robertson Tribal Styk

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2010, 07:05:00 PM »
I LOVE my neck knives!!!!!!!!!!  :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:  

I have a small necker that was made by Frank Scukanec(sticshooter) and given to me by my "Brother" Drew Reniff(drewsbow) that goes with me on just about EVERY outdoor trip. Also, My "Brother" Ken Mowrey(adkmountainken) gave me a BEAUTIFUL knife with Moose antler scales that was made by Matt Lesnewski of ML Knives. It came to me with a single slot "mountain man" style sheath. Last night I just finished making a neck sheath for it that acualy came out VERY nice,if I must say so myself. The knife is about 9" overall,which most will think is too big for a necker. However,it was very common for Native Americans to carry a "trade knife" in a neck sheath.(trade knive came in several lengths,with blades up to 8" long) I also have a Norwegian "Rover" knife(like a Swedish Mora) that I carry on a leather thong around my neck. This knife however, will soon be leaving me.....  ;)
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline Taiga Recurve

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2010, 07:50:00 PM »
I have carried a Becker Necker for quite some time. It is the one in this picture. The other knife is the Heat from Camillus before they went out of business and of course my Leatherman wave. The mag block and striker fits in my Leatherman pouch.

"Target archery is seeing how far away you can get and still hit the bull's eye.
Bowhunting is seeing how close you can get and never miss your mark!"

Offline Teacher_of_the_Arcane

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2010, 08:23:00 PM »
Hi All,

Fred Asbell has a nice article on neck knives in the Oct/Nov 2009 issue of "Traditional Bowhunter" magazine.  A good read!
Lobo Lohr -- Old School Hunter

Offline Follower

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2010, 08:41:00 PM »
Been carrying neck since before neck knives were cool - lol.  Don't like wearing a belt knife with a tree harness so I used to carry my knife in my daypack.  One day I realized how useless that would be if I were ever hanging from the tree.  Started carrying one ever since.  I can tell you that the neck knife saved my butt on the Moose John when a dry bag strap hung up in a sweeper and was about to swamp the raft or worse.  Yes, I'm a fan of neck knives.
"If any of you wants to be my follower, you must put aside your selfish ambition, shoulder your cross, and follow me...."  Jesus  (Mathew 16:24)

Offline Spectre

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2010, 08:47:00 PM »
I like'em, too. A Puuko knife is very well suited for the task. Marttini makes a pretty good utility Puuko knife.
Gila hickory selfbow 54#
 Solstice reflex/deflex 45#

Offline DEATHMASTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2010, 08:55:00 PM »
I have looked at a lot of knives for a knecker and found one that I liked but it was made to go with a bow a guy built and I never have found one for me.
I will keep looking for THE knife.

Tim

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2010, 09:09:00 PM »
Tim, Someone needs to give you a knife Man!!!!!

Knives are very special. Years ago,a knife was themost important thing that a man owned. If a man gave you his knife,it was the greatest of honors!!!!! That man gave you his most important possesion,and it was considered Good Luck to be the reciever of a knife,and that knife was considered a Good Luck Charm. Almost every knife that I own has been given to me,and I have given many away over the years.

I guess what I'm getting at is..... Stop trying to find the perfect knife for you,and start carrying a good knife around.(hopefully one that someone gave you would be nice) See how quickly you become VERY attached to it!!!!!
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2010, 09:10:00 PM »
I would like a nice necker. I probably wouldn't use it a lot but it would be there for when I need it.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline stickbowguy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2010, 10:41:00 PM »
Here is one of mine, sorry for the large pic

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d78/stickbowguy/019.jpg

Offline elknutz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2010, 01:21:00 AM »
I purchased a "STIC" necker a short time back.  It makes me smile every time I pull it out of the sheath.  Do I need one? No.  But it will be in the woods every time I am.
"There is no excellence in archery without great labor" - Maurice Thompson
"I avoid anything that make my dogs gag" - Dusty Nethery

Offline finkm1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2010, 12:24:00 PM »
I also purchased a blade from Helli and a cocobolo block for the handle. Am in the process of making my own knecker.
"When in Rome, DO Rome"

"Expect more than others think is possible"

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2010, 07:14:00 PM »
I don't really understand neck knives for bowhunters.

They swing out when you bend, they interfere with your binoculars, hit your bowstring, and a pocketknife will do all the things a neckknife will.

I guess that's why we love America-- to each his own.
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Overspined

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2010, 08:49:00 PM »
you can always tell if someone knows how to use a knife in a couple of ways...

is it sharp?

is the tip still there or does it look like a screw driver now?

if it is a folder, how easy does it open, or is it choked full of pocket lint?

and the list goes on....

Offline Hunter 709

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2010, 09:02:00 PM »
I too read the article in TBM by Fred Asbell on the neck knife and thought I would give it a try.  I had bought a small fixed blade knife years ago and had made a leather belt sheath for it. I modified the sheath with a neck strap and took it on a hunt.  I found I actually used it quite a bit, especially to start holes for a dull set of tree pegs I have and to start holes for screw in bow holders.  I tuck my neck knife into my coat so it doesn't get in the way when I am shooting. In the past I would struggle to get at my belt knife through all the layers of clothing during colder weather but having a neck knife gets rid of all that movement and struggle.  I love mine.
Earl

"Now then, get your weapons, your quiver and bow, and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me" Genesis 27:3

Offline wisconsin wood butcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2010, 09:09:00 PM »
i have one thats a green river blade my friend larry put together then i got a swiss army paring knife with a tom krien kydex neck sheath great combo. for shooting and anything else i put it under myshirt out of the way.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©