3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: DIY Firestarters  (Read 410 times)

Offline Uncle Buck

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: DIY Firestarters
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2010, 06:51:00 PM »
Duct tape ripped into narrow strips burns readily. Is there anything you can't fix with duct tape?

Offline Jake

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2010, 07:11:00 PM »
Take the rolls from the inside of TP.  Fill with cotton balls or dryer lint.  I usually tape one of the ends.  Heat the wax and pour into the TP rolls.  Let cool and then cut into discs.  Just another variation but works just as well.  Good post.  Thanks for sharing.  Good pictorial.

Online shoes

• Corporate Sponsor
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2010, 10:12:00 PM »
Great idea, will make some with my kids this weekend.
Dreams are made taller than we are.  Never stop reaching!
WTA member

Offline jerryb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2010, 01:05:00 AM »
:thumbsup:    :thumbsup:    :campfire:
Tredway 51@28 60"                 Tredway 48@28 60"                 21st Century 47@28 62"            Bear Grizzly 43@28 56" bear grizzley 48@28 58"

Offline gudspelr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2010, 01:30:00 AM »
Thanks guys-some other great ideas, too.  That's what I love about his site, always learning something.
"Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful."
- William Morris

Craftsmen strive to make their products both.

Offline Russ H

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2010, 08:41:00 AM »
Another trick with the vaseline and cotton ball starter is to cut McDonalds Straws into two inch lengths and stuff with the saturated cotton balls. Seal them by holding the end with needle-nosed pliers over candle or stove to melt the ends closed. To use, split the straw and picks out some of the cotton. These will burn for several minutes.it is also easy to carry a handful of these in your pack.

Offline Autumnarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2010, 10:06:00 AM »
I carry a small canister of char-cloth made from old t-shirts. Char cloth works excellent to catch a spark from my flint. I also carry cotton balls/vaseline, and i keep a small candle on hand as well. I prefer to keep several easy and light wieght methods to make fire, so I never have to depend on one means to get one going.

I wonder, with this method picture, if adding some small strips or pieces of birch bark into the paraffin along with the woods chips would work to get it good and hot? Gonna have to try it.
...stood alone on a montaintop, starin out at a great divide, I could go east, I could go West, it was all up to me to decide, just then I saw a young hawk flyin and my soul began to rise......

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©