3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: thermocell  (Read 409 times)

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
thermocell
« on: March 29, 2010, 02:00:00 AM »
You are hunting in a mountainous state; at 6,500 feet elevation; and the mosquitoes are bothering you. To be prepared for the weeks hunt in the ground blind; how many fuel cartridges should you take with you; and how many scent strips?
THE VOICES HAVEN'T BOTHERED ME SINCE I STARTED POKING THEM WITH A Q-TIP.

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
Re: thermocell
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2010, 06:27:00 AM »
imo, yer poll doesn't have the right numbers - at least 1 fuel cell cartridge and 4 scent strips per day.  minimum.  they ain't all that heavy or bulky and the more the merrier when it comes to dealing with biting skeeters 'n' bugs.
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline gregk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2010, 06:41:00 AM »
I agree with Rob, you take only one or two cartrideges and strips, you are going to run out very quickly. I think the cartridges last 12 hours and the strips last 4 hours. I usually buy the box with 4 cartridges and 12 strips, only costs like $20.

Offline sj_lutz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2010, 06:55:00 AM »
I'd much rather have extra input for my Thermacell than not enough.  If I were to use it non-stop for a full day, I'd have a full cartridge and 3 strips, and likely have an extra cartridge and strip for good measure.

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2010, 08:32:00 AM »
Thanks for the reminder Brian!! It's gonna be warm for the turkey opener in Kansas and I didn't have the Thermocell on my list. It is now!

While I could probably get by with one fuel cartridge and two strips a day, I usually double that. Better to have and not want as the saying goes.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline longarrow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2010, 08:36:00 AM »
Be very CAREFUL! Thermocells are NOT to be used in an enclosure!! If your ground blind is open on the top it will be OK. If it's a popup,your in a world of hurt!!! Be there done that!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Live a Good Life! And in the end, it's not the number of years in your life...it's the LIFE in your years!!!

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2010, 08:37:00 AM »
Not trying to hijack the thread, buy my limited experience with thermacell tells me that it is not reliable at altitude. I tried to use one that worked perfectly at home (5000 feet) but would not even light where we were camped at 8500 feet. Anybody else have that experience?
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline metsastaja

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2010, 08:40:00 AM »
need to change your poll numbers.

I would take the deluxe refill kit cause you know your buddy will run out.
Les Heilakka
TGMM Family of the Bow  
Some times the uneventful nights are just as good if not better than the eventful ones

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2010, 09:08:00 AM »
Here is what Laura and I do. We buy a whole box of what I think they call a Summer pack. It has enough to keep you the week and then some. The great thing about the Thermacell is you can use it in non hunting situations. For example, Laura plays the flute in a community band and they often play out doors concerts in the summer. She always brings her thermacell and the bugs don't bother her at all. In other words, bring a lot more than you think you will need...you will find that whatever is left over will be put to good use.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Online stagetek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2010, 09:23:00 AM »
As long as the strips are kept sealed and the fuel is capped, they will last a long time. Take more than you think you'll need.

Offline Chris Shelton

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2010, 09:59:00 AM »
make sure that if you are flying to a hunt location that you buy the stuff when you get there.  They will not let you put those little bits of natural gas on the plane!
~Chris Shelton
"By failing to prepare you are preparing to fail"~Ben Franklin

« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2010, 10:00:00 AM »
Originally posted by Rob DiStefano:
imo, yer poll doesn't have the right numbers - at least 1 fuel cell cartridge and 4 scent strips per day.  minimum.  they ain't all that heavy or bulky and the more the merrier when it comes to dealing with biting skeeters 'n' bugs.
I totally agre with Rob on this one.

Bisch

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2010, 05:05:00 PM »
centaur got this one closest.
 The thermacell is not meant to work at over 4500 feet in elevation !  

I figure it would be an eye opener to everyone ! It was to me !

Don't forget your deet !

Offline Chimaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2010, 11:27:00 PM »
The way I see it more is always better. I hate bugs. I hope they will work on Alaska bugs. I hear the bugs there are horrible.

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2010, 06:29:00 AM »
Chimaster : the Alaska state bird is the mosquito.

Offline val

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2010, 09:03:00 AM »
Buy the value pack.  Way too much is far better than not enough!!

Offline bofish-IL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2010, 05:14:00 PM »
Always best to have more than needed. I have found out the thermocell works on most bugs but the one that has started showing up in Illinois each spring they call the Buffalo Natz?  Doesn't seem to phase them at all 2 years ago I had to wear my bug suit shooting fish.
PBS  Member

Offline CheapShot

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2010, 01:15:00 AM »
I've hunted South Ga alot in recent months and until the weather turned real cold...you'd better have plenty of thermocell with ya. maybe even 2 hanging from your pack. The mosquitos at Horsecreek WMA last Nov. were as thick as a cloud!!!!! But you still had to spray for chiggers and ticks!!! I carried the value pack every time.
Tomi  :archer:
TNGIRL....
>>>>>>>>------------>>
Ye Olde Fartes and Sore Losers,
NGTA, TBG,
TGMM Family of The Bow,
Compton's Traditional Bowhunters

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2010, 10:05:00 AM »
In case that I missed something: They don't work over 4500 feet??? Wow! Dont that suck?  :(
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline metsastaja

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2010, 10:33:00 AM »
From ThermaCELL page.  I did not know either

My ThermaCELL Mosquito Repellent is not working correctly at higher elevations.

Unfortunately, Thermacell repellents will not work well at higher elevations.  We find that units become difficult to start and run at altitudes above 4,500 ft. (above sea level). The lower air density causes the problem.  If you are having trouble using your Thermacell above this elevation it is probably not a defective appliance it is just a limitation of our product at high elevations.

If you are not happy with this limitation and have no use for your Thermacell at lower elevations we will refund your purchase price. We want our customers to be completely satisfied with their Thermacell purchases. Please e-mail us at [email protected] or call us toll-free at 1-866-753-3837 if you would like to return your Thermacell or if you have any questions.
Les Heilakka
TGMM Family of the Bow  
Some times the uneventful nights are just as good if not better than the eventful ones

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©