3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Got invited to join a lease  (Read 557 times)

Offline razorsharptokill

• Trad Bowhunter
Got invited to join a lease
« on: April 26, 2007, 11:17:00 PM »
I toured part of it today and it looks awesome! It is 3600 acres and the fee is $400.00. I think there are only 8 other hunters on it. Some of the bucks I've seen trail cam pics of are great for this part of Oklahoma. One is a monster that will go 170's! Turkey are plentiful and I'll be after them on Saturday when I hope to get in some more scouting in. It is not uncommon to see 20-30 deer a day. I haven't seen 20 deer in the last two seasons at my other hunting spots combined! This is a big plus for me and I don't mind driving a ways or paying the money to have a great area to hunt where there isn't a guy sitting 50 yards from your stand come daylight and my stand is always still there when I come back!

Less than 40% of the place is used by the other hunters. They are mostly gun hunters with "drive right to" stands. There are places in deep draws that are basically untouched just begging for some one to hunt there who isn't afraid of walking in a ways. The trees are mostly hickory.

The best thing is that of the other hunters, hardly anyone bowhunts!   :thumbsup:  I'll be able to get several hundred acres away from the other guys and my stands will be very safe from trespassers. Down side is that it is a little over an hour away. $400.00 is a lot of money but my wife whole heartedly said "go for it". I'm a lucky man! She knows how much I love to hunt and have wanted a good quality area for years.

This just kinda fell in my lap when some co-workers of mine who help manage this place invited me aboard.
 :pray:
Jim Richards
Veteran

USMC 84-88
Oklahoma Army National Guard 88-89
USMCR 89-96 Desert Storm
Oklahoma Air National Guard 2002- present. Operation Iraqi Freedom 2005(Qatar) and 2007(Iraq),
Operation New Dawn Iraq 2011,
Operation Enduring Freedom 2018 Afghanistan.
NRA Life Member.

Offline traditional_archer

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Got invited to join a lease
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2007, 11:20:00 PM »
Cool, congrats.

Offline rawshaft

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2007, 11:21:00 PM »
What part of Oklahoma???
Jamie Johnson

Offline razorsharptokill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2007, 11:25:00 PM »
It is in the North Eastern part of the state near Lake Eufaula.
Jim Richards
Veteran

USMC 84-88
USMCR 89-96 Desert Storm
Oklahoma Air National Guard 2002- present. Operation Iraqi Freedom 2005(Qatar) and 2007(Iraq),
NRA Life Member.

Offline Budog56

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2007, 11:47:00 PM »
Sweet...GOOD LUCK!!

Offline jfish

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2007, 12:09:00 AM »
Razor you are a lucky man.  Yes $400 bucks is a lot but that is dirt cheap when compared to prices here on the east coast.  Wow, what I would give to have an offer like that.  Well, I know what I would pay and it would be several times over the 400 duckaroos no doubt.  Prices here in Virginia have sky rocketed for hunting leases.  Heck, we were paying $5.00 per acre ten years ago and it was one hour away and considered close.  Some leases have hit $10.00 per acre and folks are paying it.  Because of the crazy cost many of us have been forced to hunt public land which is no pretty sight.  Hard hunting, tons of people and I am traveling 4+ hours one way. Kiss your wife twice for her support and JUMP ON IT!!  Good Luck and Congrads.

Offline Nakohe

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2007, 06:02:00 AM »
Wow, $400 is a great price. Average price here in Texas is $1500 and up. Congrats.
"Then Peter said unto them. Repent all of you and be baptized in the Name of Jesus for remission of sins and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
Acts 2:38

TGMM Family Of The Bow
Life Member T. B. O. T.
SGT. U.S.A.F. '72-'76
Life Member NRA

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2007, 06:08:00 AM »
That is not a bad deal, i pay close to that in taxes on 27 acres.
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline madness522

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2007, 06:35:00 AM »
Not bad at all. I pay $300 for 1100 acres with 16-18 other guys and the land is an hour and a half from my house.  You are getting deal.
Barry Clodfelter
TGMM Family of the Bow.

Offline Mechslasher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2007, 10:35:00 AM »
sounds like a good deal.  they probably invited you because you are a trad hunter and they think it's easy money with no loss in animals to be expected.
"There is beauty and magic in a drawn bow."

Cade (SC)

Offline rbbhunt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2007, 01:21:00 PM »
Anymore room?  Is that price for just bowhunting or does it include all seasons?
RBBHUNT
"Those who will trade liberty for
security, deserve niether" B. Franklin (a long time ago and still valid)

Offline rbbhunt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2007, 02:00:00 PM »
razorsharptokill,
 Just kidding, you got a good deal.  I am looking for a lease in the Tulsa area or north.  I've been hunting Rock Creek PHA and like the area.  Also, do you do any hog hunting?
RBBHUNT
"Those who will trade liberty for
security, deserve niether" B. Franklin (a long time ago and still valid)

Offline Steertalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2007, 02:45:00 PM »
Razorsharptokill,

$400 is dirt cheap!!!!  For that kind of money I'd be willing to pay for ALL the spots open on the lease.

If you guys are smart....don't say a word to anyone about what kind of deer you are seeing on there.  If you've found a place that has 170 class bucks on it for $400 you have died and gone to heaven.

You can't touch a lease in Texas for less than $1500 PER gun or bow!!!
"America is like a healthy body and its resistance is threefold:  its patriotism, its morality and its spiritual like.  If we can undermine these three areas, America will collapse from within."  Joseph Stalin

Offline razorsharptokill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2007, 03:47:00 PM »
Thanks for the input guys. It confirms my feeling about this being an awesome opportunity.

The guy who actually has the lease is a real A-hole when it comes to poachers and trespassers. He takes their guns and 4 ATV's and gives them the # to the local game warden and tells them that that is where their property will be. "Go get your ticket and you can get your stuff back". Then he sends them walking.

One of my co-workers that invited me jokingly said "you just can't shoot my buck" referring to the 170 class buck. I told him, "c'mon, I'm hunting with a longbow, .....I'll only shoot him if he is within range!"

I'll try to get some pics of the place if I go turkey hunting tomorrow.

These guys are very tight and selective on who they let on. I'm actually speechless that I got a chance at it. Logic says that the more hunters paying... the less the lease holder has to come up with over his share(which is $600).

I'm getting the spot a guy is losing due to his inability to follow the rules. 1.Only family members can accompany you, (not all your work buddies)
2. Your family members have to shoot their own deer(not you shoot enough deer to fill all their tags) 3. Just because I'm at work doesn't mean go walk through my food plot, check for tracks under may stand after hunting it. Etc....

Thank God for this one selfish hunter.
Jim Richards
Veteran

USMC 84-88
USMCR 89-96 Desert Storm
NRA Life Member.

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2007, 04:01:00 PM »
That is good they have set some rules, as long as they are reasonable and all have to abide by them. Things should work out, how do you go about choosing every ones locations?
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline Steertalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2007, 04:23:00 PM »
The guy who actually has the lease is a real A-hole when it comes to poachers and trespassers. He takes their guns and 4 ATV's and gives them the # to the local game warden and tells them that that is where their property will be. "Go get your ticket and you can get your stuff back". Then he sends them walking.
Doesn't sound like an A-hole to me.  Sounds like my kind of guy.
"America is like a healthy body and its resistance is threefold:  its patriotism, its morality and its spiritual like.  If we can undermine these three areas, America will collapse from within."  Joseph Stalin

Offline razorsharptokill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2007, 05:36:00 PM »
Well I meant to the offending party. To me he's just protecting his investment. The second worst thing about public land besides the crowd is the thieves. I'll have no problem leaving a blind or treestand up.

I plan on using an area that will be a long ways off the highway that runs by the place and away from all the "known" spots with the 30 ft. tree house style stands. I'm thinking maybe a mountain bike for some of the remote areas. I'll always have access to an ATV when I take that 170 class buck LOL!
Jim Richards
Veteran

USMC 84-88
USMCR 89-96 Desert Storm
NRA Life Member.

Offline BMOELLER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2007, 07:30:00 PM »
400 for 3600 acres and no one else bowhunting? You got a deal buddy.
2009 Kansas State ASA Traditional Champion

Offline Van/TX

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2007, 08:16:00 PM »
$400, 3000 acres, 1 hour away, 8 hunters, lots of money?  You ain't from around here are ya?    :biglaugh:        :biglaugh:        :biglaugh:        :biglaugh:    ....Van
Retired USAF (1966 - 1989)
Retired DoD Civilian (1989 - 2009)
And drawing Social Security!
I love this country ;-)

Offline 1kwikstik

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2007, 10:22:00 PM »
Congratulations Jim! Think I lost my "free lease" I took you to last year. I'm checking out one in Osage Co., hoping for an opening. Was told one of the guys on it last year only showed up twice, stayed in camp and didn't even hunt!They're thinking he may not get on this year. Will know within a couple of weeks.
What we have done for ourselves alone dies with us. What we have done for others lasts forever.

Compton Traditional Bowhunters

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©