3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Dual shelf Dilemma Solved-see page 2  (Read 417 times)

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Dual shelf Dilemma Solved-see page 2
« on: March 31, 2010, 10:14:00 AM »
Here's what I've been kicking around and the real reason for my original post.
I know I want Maddog Mike to build me a Mutt bow 70" n-t-n and I was thinking I'd like to be able to shoot it with either hand.
I saw a picture of a dual shelf that he built and have to say it looked good and that's way understated.

Now I'm trying to figure out how performance and shoot-ability would come into play.

I sorta gave up the idea and send Mike an e-mail telling him just to build me a right hander. I guess I'm not really sure that's what I want to do.

I know I'd do well with a regular shelf bow but if a dual shelf is durable and shoots good why wouldn't I want to go that route.

I sure don't want to leave Mike hanging. I think he knows I'm serious about wanting one of his bows because I backed it up with a down payment.

I maybe just need to call him and talk this through but I've bugged him so much lately I feel guilty taking any more of his time.

God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Dual shelf Dilemma Solved-see page 2
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2010, 12:37:00 PM »
I was sure hoping for something...lol Maybe it's a thing of the past and just little kids bows.
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow

Offline Jeremy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2010, 12:45:00 PM »
The real drawback is not having the bow cut close to center, so you have to be more careful with arrow selection.  If you're used to selfbows it shouldn't bother you at all.

I have a rack of dual shelf Bears from the 50's.  I know a few bowyers will make them that way if you ask.
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->
CT CE/FS Chief Instructor
"Death is not the greatest loss in life.  The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live." - Norman Cousins

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2010, 01:03:00 PM »
Thanks Jeremy!
That's one to give consideration for sure.
Do the old dual shelf Bear bows like the Polar shoot like selfbows?  

There isn't anything new about self bows to me but I'm not sure I'd want to go back in that direct just to have the option of shooting one bow with either hand.

Thanks again.

God bless,Mudd
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow

Offline Rodney Wright

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2010, 01:32:00 PM »
I build them, And always have one in camp. In case any body should have bad luck and need a  bow.And keep a light weigh one in the shop. Comes in handy for Customers who are new to the sport.

Offline Jim now in Kentucky

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2010, 01:36:00 PM »
I have an old Bear Cub and a Polar that both have dual shelves. I don't shoot them often, because I like my self bows, where I use my bow hand for a rest.

Jim
"Reparrows save arrows!"

"But without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he that cometh to God must believe that he is and that He is a rewarder of them that diligently seek Him." Hebrews 11:6

Offline Dick in Seattle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2010, 01:57:00 PM »
As it was explained to me, the problem with a true dual shelf bow (in my case thinking in terms of straight longbows) is that you significantly weaken the riser/bow in terms of sideways impacts... you're going through the woods and bang a tree and the bow may break in the middle, where the riser is thin, from sideways pressure.

Generally, the shelves are not cut as deep, i.e. toward center, to try to keep as much strength in that area as possible.  On bows with thicker risers, it is obviously not as much of a potential problem, but you are still going to end up using a lighter spined arrow as you're not as close to center.

I build ambidextrous bows, but they aren't everyone's cup of tea, as my solution is pretty simple... I don't cut shelves into them at all, just install thin leather "rests" that are really just arrow placement references.  You're actually shooting off your hand, as on the old English longbows.  Some folks enjoy that, it takes them back to the kind of shooting we did as kids.  Others don't like it.  Arrow matching is a bit more critical, you end up using a lighter spined arrow because you're shooting around a thicker riser section.

I built one like this as a traveling bow for the Howard Hill Longbowmen and everyone who has used  it liked it a lot.  Here are some pix:

Thin leather wedge inserted in wrap provides arrow placement reference point and also a "feel" reference for the grip.  The leather dot insert provides a soft surface for the arrow, just as a shelf pad does.

Same thing on both sides...

View from the front.
Dick in Seattle

"It ain't how well the bow you shoot shoots, it's how well you shoot the bow you shoot."

Offline TommyBoy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2010, 02:10:00 PM »
I've seen a couple Shrew bows that had the double shelf.  Really handy for an off-hand shot at close range.  Also, I have several Grimes bows and they are all double shelf - one 75#s.
TommyBoy

Offline trashwood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2010, 04:33:00 PM »
I have a wes wallace, horne, shrew, jd jones and several I have made.  since you have shot self bows for decades there is not many cons for you.  you already know about getting the arrow around the handle.  the biggest hurtle is getting your goofy side strong enough to shoot the same bow as your dominate side.  

I like them.  I just have to keep the draw weight down.  using a Formaster on the goofy side will help a lot.  with 36# i can small game hunt and expect to do well left or right.  Being right dominate I have to close my right eye shooting lefty.  shooting lefty I aim like a big dog as I don't have an instinctive "groove".  

You would think that it would be handy in a tree stand for game on you goofy side.  maybe for some it is.  for me I get caught moving the arrow around. I am a little awkard on the googy side and not near a smooth or stealth.

rusty

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2010, 04:45:00 PM »
Second generation St. Charles Thunderbird

Dual shelf and 58#@28".
Good idea then and equally so now too.

Offline jcar315

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2010, 04:48:00 PM »
I have quite a few of the late 1950's dual shelf Bear Alaskan bows. I really like shooting them myself. I have them in a range of #'s so when someone stops by they can pick one up an shoot regardless of their age and what handed they are.

Can't speak for other dual shelf bows but the Alaskan's shoot really well IMO. Plus with the orange and black glass they look pretty cool too!
Proud Dad to two awesome Kids and a very passionate pig hunter.

Right handed but left eye dominant.

Proud to be a Native TEXAN!!!!!

"TGMM  Family of the Bow"

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2010, 04:50:00 PM »
I have 2, One is a BBO that Nosage from this site made and I won in a raffle, and the other I made with the help of KAT from this site also. That one is BBB and I made it so anybody could shoot it. Both are %0# @ 28".
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Ground Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2010, 05:36:00 PM »
Mudd, I was looking on the Howard Hill site in the "in stock" bows.  I think I saw a couple of duel sided bows.  H

Offline Bowferd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2010, 10:31:00 PM »
Mudd, Ive had 3 and don't understand why I ever sold them.
The first was a Jay St. Charles Osage and Yew 54#@28 that I would dearly love to reunite with.
Number 2 is a mid 60's 50@28 Indian which I passed on to my beautiful daughter-in-law Joan.
And a fellow TradGang member is holding a 54 Compass Kodiak II 54@28.
Something nostalgic about those double shelves.
I love'em.
Been There, Done That, Still Plowin.
Cane and Magnolia tend to make good arrow.
Hike naked in the backwoods.

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2010, 11:44:00 PM »
I have seen a sun bear by charlie like that.
TGMM Family of The Bow

Online pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2010, 11:58:00 PM »
Any more pics of that bow, Bjorn.

Offline Clinglish

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2010, 10:45:00 AM »
I have a one peice Ron Fox built Longbow that is dual shelf . And after talking to Ron King recently he said he has one that he built for himself. As I am left eye dominant and right handed I aim to teach myself to shoot both. Just to see if I can LOL
I love Bowhunting!!!!
Hunting for Bows that is   ;)

Offline formerbutcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2010, 11:01:00 AM »
Here is one i just finished up. Black Walnut looking at the back.

It's a great day to be alive !!

Offline ibehiking

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2010, 11:26:00 AM »
I had one made for me so I could shoot either hand. It is a fairly heavy weight 60#. The riser is obviously not center shot but I have found arrows spined for about 52# work well out of it.

I like being able to use either hand. The weight allows me to use it for building up strength on both sides.

Offline maxwell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2010, 12:27:00 PM »
Leon Stewart has one he builds and both shelves are cut on the same side you put two nocks on your string and all you do is switch hands and slide the arrow down to the nock  below.  I would post pics but techno impaired  I have an absolutely beautiful slammer TD made this way, coolest bow I have even tiller and shoots great right and left.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©