3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Remember when  (Read 404 times)

Offline longbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
Remember when
« on: March 31, 2010, 10:39:00 AM »
Remember when you were either a gun hunter or a bowhunter?
Remember when all bows actually looked like bows?
Remember when everybody got excited because somebody actually killed a deer with a bow?
Remember when people looked up to you because you were a bowhunter and not just a hunter?
Remember when the Wensel Brothers were skinny? (Oops! I just had to throw that in.)

Offline jeff w

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Remember when
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2010, 10:53:00 AM »
Well, maybe 4 out of 5.............

Offline John3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2010, 10:59:00 AM »
I remember not that many years ago just seeing  deer was a big deal.. You got home and called people to tell them about it...
"There is no excellence in Archery without great labor".  Maurice Thompson 1879

Professional Bowhunters Society--Regular Member
United Bowhunters of Missouri
Compton Life Member #333

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2010, 11:06:00 AM »
I remember having a spike buck hanging in my yard when I was 14 and was the envy of the neighborhood. My friends wanted me to tell the story over and over...I bet now somebody would call the cops.
Mike Davenport

Offline Bluehawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2010, 11:14:00 AM »
I also remember  lost of places POSTED   NO BOW HUNTING  OR NO ARCHERY HUNTING    When it was considered cruel by a lot of farmers .

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2010, 12:48:00 PM »
I remember bow hunting before a patent was even granted for the compound.
Lon Scott

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2010, 01:04:00 PM »
I remember when we had more deer.and less developments and more time
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline weezy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2010, 02:40:00 PM »
I remember in the early 70's not even knowing another bowhunter. I remember during gun season, not even hearing a shot unless it was mine.
It seem with each new invention making things easier, more people became hunters. I hunted 2 years before even seeing a deer and this is in southern Illinois. I remember letting some really nice bucks walk to grow another year or two. I remember in the 80's seeing as many as 10 good bucks in one day. There is a lot more pressure these days and mature bucks are harder to find unless you have some well protected property. Farmers use to welcome you to hunt and now they want people to pay; use to be about friendship.
Times have really changed as well as people. I also remember going to some really big 3d shoots in Evansville Il. and being the only one there shooting traditional; lot of the guys thought I was  crazy with all the new equipment available. One shoot they had blinds set up to shoot out of and I had to shoot outside the blind because my 62" recurve was too long.
Oh , well, I learned many years ago to take whatever life dishes out and deal with it as best I can.
Good luck to all;
Bob
TRADITIONAL ARCHERY
It's been in my blood for 40 plus  years.
It's priceless!

Offline Spectre

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2010, 02:48:00 PM »
I remember when leather and fur was cool, when my friends and I would take our bows to school during hunting season so we could go walk the ditchbank after last bell. I remember when a boy just wasn't a complete boy unless he had a pocketknife with him. I remember when a boy could have blood on his jeans and nobody thought anything abnormal. I remember when "Coke" meant "soda", regardless of the flavor. Ahhh....the good old days.
Gila hickory selfbow 54#
 Solstice reflex/deflex 45#

Offline longbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2010, 03:18:00 PM »
I noticed nobody remembers a skinny Wensel! When I was in high school my friends and I would take our shotguns to school so we could hunt small game afterwards.  I even took mine on the bus!  The other day I went to a dinner at the high school and the principle was setting at my table.  Somebody was having a hard time getting a bag open so I handed them my pocket knife and nearly everybody turned white!  I just said, "Oops!" and put it away.
     Our bus driver used to stop the bus so we could look at deer when he would see one along the road.  Man, times have really changed.

Offline Spectre

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2010, 03:26:00 PM »
Originally posted by longbowman:
I noticed nobody remembers a skinny Wensel! When I was in high school my friends and I would take our shotguns to school so we could hunt small game afterwards.  I even took mine on the bus!  The other day I went to a dinner at the high school and the principle was setting at my table.  Somebody was having a hard time getting a bag open so I handed them my pocket knife and nearly everybody turned white!  I just said, "Oops!" and put it away.
     Our bus driver used to stop the bus so we could look at deer when he would see one along the road.  Man, times have really changed.
Yup, they have. And not for the better. Its kind of alarming, really.
Gila hickory selfbow 54#
 Solstice reflex/deflex 45#

Offline BigStriper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2010, 03:44:00 PM »
I remember the First Deer I shot was with a Bow,the first year I Deer Hunted (it had wheels),in 1978,Hunted with a Bow every year since,didn't see as many Deer back then,remember alot of the things others have posted also,but about them Wensel Brothers being Skinny,maybe a little trimmer,but i wouldn't go as far as Skinny,Been shooting Longbows and Recurves about 2 years now and LOVE it,and shoot every day instead of just during Hunting season with them Bows with Wheels,

Kurt

Offline Old York

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2010, 04:33:00 PM »
Remember when your arrow length was greater than your waist line?   :D
"We were arguing about brace-height tuning and then a fistmele broke out"

Offline Shad

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2010, 10:39:00 PM »
Remember being a member of the Baker treestand red chest club?
~Shad~
PBS Associate Member

Robert "Boo Boo" Benson
10-12-36 to 02-06-11
My Gramps, my mentor, my best friend

"The measure of a bowhunter is not how many animals he takes each year, but how he does it. " - Jay Massey

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2010, 03:22:00 AM »
When Mr Tenner made the best hunting shoes?
THE VOICES HAVEN'T BOTHERED ME SINCE I STARTED POKING THEM WITH A Q-TIP.

Offline Bonebuster

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2010, 06:46:00 AM »
I remember when a kill brought a hunter to a higher status, but at the same time, actually killing a deer was much LESS important on a personal level.

I remember when most every hunter you met was alot like all the people you meet on Tradgang.

Offline bornagainbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2010, 07:02:00 AM »
I remember when hunting was a family tradition.  You just met a Grandpa's house during hunting season on Saturday morning, no plans, you just did it.

I remember getting my first bow.  My kin thought I was never going to kill a deer with it.  Now, they all have one.

I remember setting on a stand when it was snowing so hard that all you could hear was snowflakes hitting the ground.

Guys, God is good.
But thou, O LORD, art a shield for me; my glory, and the lifter up of mine head. Psalms 3:3

Offline R.V.T.B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2010, 07:58:00 AM »
Remember the days before the intertnet... and folks actually wrote letters? Back in the 70's and early 80's whenever I was planning a hunt out of state I would put together a file folder for it, "Canada Bear hunt-1983". I would toss all of the information I complied into the folder along with the dozen or so letters back and forth with the guys who were going with me and our plans. I remember going to the library to photo copy the lists of who was bring what so I could mail them out to all of the guys. You wouldn't think of making a long distance phone call and paying the charges for it. I still pull out some of those old folders and read through them from time to time. My grand kids might get a kick out of them. Now, I just type out an e-mail and forward it to all of the guys or do a conference call on our cell phones.

Offline longbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2010, 08:14:00 AM »
I still have my Baker Treestand in the safest place I could find.  The corner of my basement.  I'm glad to see that many of you can remember the same things that I do.  When I started hunting in the mid 60's it was just so different.  Some things have improved with time, like the deer herd, others have really sunk low but I too thank God everyday that I'm able to wlak the woods and shoot my bow.

Offline mrpenguin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2010, 08:38:00 AM »
Honestly, I don't remember these things cause I'm a bit younger (born in '76! A true bicentennial baby!) It is sad to hear that there was such a time when people trusted each other more.  

But I even I have noticed a change in American attitudes during my life.  Today folks are much more concerned with themselves than other people or the greater good of the planet and society.  We are too wrapped up in our capitalistic ideologies and many too wrapped up in the mirror.  We are too damn busy with business... it reminds of Jacob Marley's speech to Scrouge: "Business? Mankind was my business. The common welfare was my business.  Benevolence, charity, were all my business.  The dealings of my trade were but a drop of water in the comprehensive ocean of my business!"  I think if this country could think a little more about family, friends and community and a little less about hedgefunds, the DOW and NASDAC, we would all benefit.
God Bless,
Erik
_ _ _ _  _  
Crow Creek Black Feather Recurve 49@28
Browning Wasp 50@28

"And we know for those who love God all things work together for good"-Romans 8:28

"It's so hard to stop being a man and start being a wolf" - G. Fred Asbell

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©