3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Turkey...Head? Body? BH? HELP!  (Read 419 times)

Offline Dusty Nethery

• Trad Bowhunter
Turkey...Head? Body? BH? HELP!
« on: March 31, 2010, 10:59:00 AM »
I have hunted turkeys for three years now without loosing an arrow, so I'm probably needlessly worrying!

However, in my obsessive study of these blasted birds I have spoken with several individuals whom have killed turkeys with a stickbow and searched relentlessly through online forums and all I can say for certain is that one can definitely have too much "knowledge".

Some say that due to a turkey's small vitals and "die-hard" attitude a head shot is the only way to go. Others say body shots are very effective. What do you guys think?

What's your thoughts on broadhead design? Do you really need to limit penetration or is this a wheelie concern?

My Woodsmans make a big hole in a whitetail but should I bust out the Rothaar Snuffers for maximum damage?

Sorry for the long post but any thoughts/experiences/opinions will be much appreciated.

Offline Dustin Waters

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Turkey...Head? Body? BH? HELP!
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2010, 01:53:00 PM »
facing away square in the middle of the back, use your normal hunting heads.  Snuffer 160's seem to be the broadhead of choice around here for turkeys.  Ive also read about the simmons sharks and the silver flames doing good work on turkeys.  More than not it seems to be that guys are going to the big snuffer 160's for their shear devastation.  I will be giving it my first try with a bow this spring and am hoping that I can make it happen.  The penetration issue you are talking about is to try and keep the arrow in the bird so it wont fly away.  If you shoot them in the middle of the back you shouldn't have that problem.

Good luck.

Offline mnbearbaiter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2010, 02:53:00 PM »
Its a moot point really! I used to try to keep the arrow in the bird to aid in recovery by "soft" sharpening the bleeders on a 135gr Zwickey Delta with a file! In MN a hunter can purchase a special bow only turkey liscense over the counter! Its valid for 2 weeks, but its in late May and the foilage is full and tracking a bird can be difficult as they leave no blood trail! The bird was easily found just looking for the fletching, or finding the fletched half of a broken arrow to lead you in the right direction! I myself prefer body shots, heart, lungs, guts, spine, turkeys arent as hard to kill as alot of people think! If you hit a bird and it runs off(ive never seen a hit one fly)ear mark a tree, stump, whatever where you lost sight of the bird, and begin your search there! Try to listen after you lose sight of them as well as they do make alot of noise when they expire, flap wings and roll around! A wider cutting broadhead is preffered i think, but whatever head you choose, make it scary sharp! Good luck  :archer:

Offline OkKeith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2010, 04:21:00 PM »
Dustin,

From experience I agree with the post that says they are not as hard to kill as many may imply. Having said that, I believe there are some distinct DOs and DON'Ts.

For instance, DON'T try a quartering to or away shot. I am sure a thousand hunters will post after this and say that they have killed hundreds of birds with quartering shots.

Here is my reasoning. A turkey's vitals (heart, lungs) are encased in a bony box. A quartering to or away shot can cause the broad head to "skitter" along the bone regaurdless of how sharp it is. Even though it does a lot of damage, not actually poke a hole through anything that will cause quick death. Case in point, my wife shot a bird last year quartering away (told her not to, wives don’t listen sometimes). The arrow entered the bird’s right drumstick at the top and came out the left wing butt. Arrow blew all the way through. What most would call a “complete pass through the vitals”. After I chased the dang thing for 150 yards through the woods and across the creek we realized it had two huge holes (she uses Magnus heads with bleeders) and could not fathom why the bird wasn’t stone dead immediately after the shot. After we cleaned the bird we saw that the broad head, although basically going from stem-to-stern, never did hit the heart or lungs. We counted ourselves lucky to have recovered the bird.

Full broadside or head-on/butt-on shots give a greater chance of the shaft bisecting the heart and lung area.

A couple more DON’Ts in my book: Don’t shoot a bird while it is fluffed up and strutting. It’s hard to tell what is body and what is just feathers. Also, avoid shooting one looking straight at you. If they know where you are and have you pegged, sit still! Don’t even blink! Let them settle down a bit, then nail ‘em. You may shoot the fastest bow in the world but a bird can move faster. The hit may have been right on before the bird moved but after is another story.

How about some DO’s? Do let them get as close as you can. Botch a shot with a shotgun or a compound bow and they will most likely haul out of there. Miss with a quiet,  well tuned traditional bow and more often than not you will get a second chance if they are close enough. Do put your decoy off to one side of your blind (or at least not right in line with where you are sitting). Its best if the bird doesn’t have you in line of sight while he is looking at the decoy. This will help set-up a broadside shot.

The last big DO, DO HAVE FUN! What it all comes down to is shoot them in the middle with a sharp broad head while they are as close as you dare have them.

Like I said, my wife shoots the Magnus two blade with bleeders (100 gr.) and I shoot a MA II (150 gr.). We have only had the one time with trouble recovering a bird. We have let a lot walk because things were not just right, but we still had fun.

Good Luck!

OkKeith
In a moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing. The worst thing you can do is nothing.
Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2010, 05:31:00 PM »
I gotta say it here, sorry guys.  Buy some Turkey Guillotines and chop that head right off.  No questions asked, and if you miss the bird won't be wounded to die later.  The turkey still may run around, but it will die in sight.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline mnbearbaiter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2010, 05:47:00 PM »
And when you carry it out the back of your pants are all bloody! If you are civilization and an Anti hunter sees you with a headless turkey they most certainly use his/her phone to take a pic! Extreme cases i know, but something to think about none the less! I personally have nothing bad to say about the Bullheads, how could you? They are a Magnus product!!!

Offline OkKeith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2010, 06:12:00 PM »
Clay,

Nothing against any of the head chopper type heads. I just don't have any. They seem a little expensive when I have broad heads that work just fine and that I know fly great out of my set-up.

You are right, a clean miss is a clean miss. What if you miss low into the body? Do they penetrate past the feathers? I am sure they do great at lopping heads but will they kill cleanly if the bird is hit anywhere else? I don't know myself because I have had no experience with them.

Seems like they might be tough to thread through a hole in the brush or shoot through the window of a blind (with or without mesh).

Again, don't know myself. My big 'ole MAIIs have always done their job when I do mine.

OkKeith
In a moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing. The worst thing you can do is nothing.
Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Dusty Nethery

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2010, 08:39:00 PM »
Thanks for the input so far guys.

While not totally opposed to the head choppers, I really don't wanna plop down the cash when I have something I feel is very capable already lying around.

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2010, 12:18:00 AM »
OkKeith.  The trick is to shoot at the neck right below the head when they extend it a bit to look around or gobble.  I have not hit one in the body with this type head so I so not know how far it would penetrate or not.  I suspect it would only penetrate a short distance due to the center post on the broadhead.  
I am sure they would be a bit tougher to thread thru brush or a blind window, but they are not that much wider to cause a huge problem.  I hunt in a ghillie suit so I don't worry about the blind.
Clay Walker

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2010, 12:23:00 AM »
Mnbearbaiter.  

I take a garbage bag along for the mess.  

To be frank the anti's are going to raise a fuss no matter what.  I don't give a rats a@@ what they think or do.  I learned a long time ago that nutjobs are just that and are best ingnored.  If they want to take a picture and sensationalize it they have a lot better fodder than me walking out of the woods with a legal kill.  Which won't be visible anyway since it will be in a bag in the back of my vest.  

You make a good point.  Many people are far more sensitive to others feelings than I am and will want to take your point into consideration.
Clay Walker

Offline StanM

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2010, 12:37:00 AM »
Body shots with three blades for me.  Will be chasing them the 17th.

Offline BSBD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2010, 12:39:00 AM »
I wouldn't waste my time with any of the guillotine heads. They're too expensive, fly different than anything else and can still wound a bird as much as anything else. Plus you only have a headshot available.

Any good sharp broadhead will do the job. Just shoot the bird in the middle of the body. Front, back or broadside is a lot better than relying on a head shot which is a tiny target anyway..

Offline String Cutter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2010, 06:16:00 AM »
Big old 3/4 blade and a string tracker should do the job??
Fatherhood is the greatest adventure a man can ever take.

Offline OkKeith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2010, 11:14:00 AM »
Clay,

Thanks for the info on the those broad heads! I've only seen them online in vids and the like.

I sure like chasing turkeys in a ghillie suit as well! Hard to beat for an up close and personal experience with a bird. When I hunt with my wife, we generally use a blind.

What kind of quiver modifications or rig do you use to carry a head like that. Do you wait untill you get to your hunting spot to put them on?

Thomas,

Can you still get string trackers? I have a couple around here somewhere but could never find the replacement string rolls to go in them. Where do you get yours?

OkKeith
Theodore Roosevelt

Offline mnbearbaiter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2010, 03:08:00 PM »
To be honest i have no input on the "Special Head Shot Type" Heads out there! I did do a bit of investigating on implementing them on a wood arrow! 3Rivers sells a glue on thread adapter for screw on points! With a high banana fletched, fairly heavy arrow, and one of those adapters with a bullhead/guillotine it could be deadly to a turkey! The high backed fletching should take care of any arrow flight problems! Im getting my 160gr Snuffers razor sharp as i type this!!!

Offline Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2010, 03:22:00 PM »
Imobilizing the bird as quickly as possible is my key objective. Use the largest diameter BH possible in conjuction with an overall good designed arrow for maximum penetration. Prefer either front to back or back to front shots. Shoot straight!!!
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2010, 05:10:00 PM »
Guillotines and Magnus Bullheads are two different designs- you can not compare them for shooting ability.

I did watch a vid where the Magnus was shot out to 50 yds with no problems.  I understand from others that they do shoot just like other broadheads.  If it were not for the cost- I would be using them.  All or nothing. . . no wounded birds.  I like that.
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline Roy Steele

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2010, 10:14:00 PM »
Pesonaly I can't or never could shoot my selfbows good enough for head shots.
  I've turkey hunted with selfbows for 20 years.And wouldn't think fo shooting anything but the same as my deer set up.I
ve always shot 125,2 blade ZWICKYS WOODIES 480 to 530 grain.
  And how ever told you that and arrow in turkeys.Help with recovery or a gobbler can't fly away with the arrow in it.Hasn't stuck many gobblers.  The last time I looked a gobbler was warm blooded just like a deer.You wouldn't want your arrow to stay in a deer would you.I'm by no means or form concederd to be as turkey hunted.BUT I HAVE KILLED 9 WITH SELFBOWS I BUILT.
 3 of with knapped heads.1 With a longbow 2 with a rercurve.Along with 3 l body shots.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
 20 YEARS LEARNING 20 YEARS DOING  20 YEARS TEACHING
  CROOKETARROW

Offline Roy Steele

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2010, 10:33:00 PM »
Sorry about that.Along with 3 I couldn't find.All with body shots but 1.Me and a friend called up 2 jakes and a long beard.The jakes were off to the side 10 yards and back 10.
A barb wire fence was between us.It was 10 yards and the gobbler was 5 yards on the other side.
  I took a shot at the long beard at the shot my arrow hits the fence.And cut a jakes head all but off.My friend just looked at me.
  I looked back and calmy said I had to use the fence there was a sappling in my way.It took a couple seconds for it to sink in.We laughed so hard.A dead gobbler all the same.
   Shoot the same thing all the time.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
 20 YEARS LEARNING 20 YEARS DOING  20 YEARS TEACHING
  CROOKETARROW

Offline Dusty Nethery

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2010, 11:42:00 PM »
HA HA Roy! That's some funny stuff. As Pat McManus said, a comically droll statement is required for an event to be truly funny!

Dusty

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©